What's new

wanted Mississippi pot roast recipe

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
ok which one of you Southerners has the hook up for a MS pot roast recipe?

i searched and no one has posted one yet..

From what I remember.

One chuck roast
One packet of ranch seasoning
One packet of aus jus seasoning
Several pickled pepperoncinis
Two large yellow onions sliced

Put the roast in the crock pot.
Dump all of the rest on top of the roast.
Cook on low for eight hours.

It’s fucking delicious.

FOUND IT!

45ACP’s Mississippi pot roast

Shit y'all will need-

• a roast. 4-6 lbs, get something low-mid grade. Do not use the super high dollar mega lean bullshit. It needs marbling.
  • one stick of butter
  • one package of regular Ranch Dressing mix
  • one package of au jus gravy mix
  • jar of pepperoncini peppers

Place the roast in the crock pot, set the stick of butter on top. Pour on both packages of stuff. Place 5-7 peppers on top. Set the lid on, cook on low for 8 hours. Bam. Thats it. It's like 2 steps beyond making a bowl of cereal, and its the most baddest assest roast you've ever had. Only downside- you gotta cook the potatoes and carrots separate. They don't do well in a pot with this much flavor.

"But 45... There are no juices." Yep. We're going in dry. Don't worry, it makes its own succulent juices

FOUND IT!

Shit y'all will need-

• a roast. 4-6 lbs, get something low-mid grade. Do not use the super high dollar mega lean bullshit. It needs marbling.
  • one stick of butter

Place the roast in the crock pot, set the stick of butter on top. Pour on both packages of stuff. Place 5-7 peppers on top. Set the lid on, cook on low for 8 hours. Bam. Thats it. It's like 2 steps beyond making a bowl of cereal, and its the most baddest assest roast you've ever had. Only downside- you gotta cook the potatoes and carrots separate. They don't do well in a pot with this much flavor.

"But 45... There are no juices." Yep. We're going in dry. Don't worry, it makes its own succulent juices
As a Mississippian, I approve. This is the only way to eat pot roast. Dont forget to get a loaf of french bread too

Wife is making 45ACP's recipe today. Sam's had bottom round roast for <$5# so that's what I am using. Chuck roast is almost $6 as pound.. freaking crazy

As a single guy who doesn't like to make big meals for myself, I find I don't cook that often (besides grilling). When someone mentioned it was one step past a bowl of cereal, I knew I had to give it a shot. Holy balls is that a quick and dirty recipe for some amazing roast. Might have to be a weekly ordeal. Hahah. Thanks again!

1EbS5uZ0b2IUyzyDDPxj9Sc3VQ=w536-h952-no?authuser=0.jpg

FOUND IT!

Shit y'all will need-

• one stick of butter

"But 45... There are no juices." Yep. We're going in dry...Like a good woman, it makes its own succulent juices
I Throw in the carrots, cut up russets, and chopped onion at the 4 hour mark. They are the most amazing potatoes I've ever had....and I'm not big on potatoes. I also use a whole jar of pepperncinis, drained. I chop the stems off because they piss me off.

I throw the taters and carrots in at about the 4 hour mark...makes most awesome taters. I also chop the stems off the peppercinis and use a whole jar of 'em...make more awesomer.

Made this over the weekend, did not disappoint. Didnt put any veggies in just served over mashed taters.

Made this over the weekend, did not disappoint. Didnt put any veggies in just served over mashed taters.
that is how I was introduced to it as well. open faced roast beef style. over mashed potatoes and bread on the side..

I made this tonight with three modifications. 1- a bottom layer of thick white onion slices. 2- Pioneer gluten-free brown gravy mix because of wifey's allergy. 3- added 5 carrots w/ 90min left.

The roast was ~3.25#, cooked for 7h on low. It turned out excellent. I removed the meat and veggies from the drippings and whisked it in to gravy without adding anything. The family really liked it too. My MIL had 2nds.

I still make this fairly regularly. Only major changes are I cut up an onion and put a bunch of mushrooms under the roast. Roast comes out the same, mushrooms and onion add a lot of flavor and are great on the sandwiches I make out of everything.

edit: I shred it it and mix everything up. Put those Hawaiian bread rolls in the oven with provolone or smoked gouda on them long enough for the cheese to melt and bubble a bit then make sandwiches with everything. Bread in general really cuts down on how salty it is by itself.

Last edited:
i think I need to get the wife to make this again.. just reading the thread my mouth is watering. :laughing:

I do the instapot version of this quite often now after seeing this thread. So good, and only about an hour and a half from start to eat. Nothing very different but here's what I followed:

• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 (12-ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers, divided
  • 1 (1-ounce) packet ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix
  • 1 (1-ounce) packet or 2 (.6-ounce) packets au jus gravy mix

Instructions​

1. Cut 1 stick unsalted butter into 8 pieces. Trim off any large pieces of surface fat from 1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast. Pat dry with paper towels.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil in a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker on the highest Sauté setting until shimmering. Add the roast and sear on all sides until browned, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Pour 1/4 cup water into the pressure cooker, scrape up any browned bits, and simmer until almost evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the pressure cooker.
  4. Return the roast and any accumulated juices to the pressure cooker. Sprinkle the roast with 1 packet ranch mix and 1 or 2 packets au jus gravy mix. Top with the butter. Pour 1/2 cup brine from 1 jar pepperoncini peppers over the roast. Add 10 pepperoncini peppers.
  5. Lock the lid on and make sure the pressure valve is set to seal. Set to cook under HIGH pressure for 55 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes to come up to pressure.
  6. When the cook time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure. Shred the roast into bite-sized pieces with tongs.

Last edited:
I use beef broth. If you go in dry you won’t get enough juices to make gravy.

Made one this morning, eating it in about an hour. My mom is a notoriously picky eater and this has her coming back for seconds.

Pro Tip 1

Make a pan gravy with the juice. Add leftover meat, carrots, and potatoes to gravy. Makes some excellent pot pies.

Pro Tip 2

I use a four pound bone in pork roast that I cut off of a boston butt instead of beef.

We added some to ours, took a little more work but well worth it. Added onion and garlic to the pot amd rubbed the meat with the spicy Montreal mix. Added carrots and fingerling taters at the 4 hour mark. Beyond delicious.

Have a riding trip to AR over Christmas week. A friend from Texarkana was the first one to introduce me to MS pot roast.. so fuggin good. We do group meals and everyone takes a night. I requested her to make MS pot roast again.. :smokin:

We do the Mississippi pot roast at least once a month, especially when the cooler weather hits (basically the 45 ACP recipe).

And this is a bit of a take on it but didn't want to start a new thread and preferred to just bump this one (cross link to pulled pork?)

Same idea but instead of roast, use pork shoulders:

1) Two pork shoulders
2) jar of pepperoncini peppers (all the peppers but maybe half the juice)
3) stick of butter

Slow cook for the 8 hours or so. About 30 minutes out drain, shred with forks, and add your favorite Carolina based BBQ sauce (we are going vinegar here).

Butter up and toast some buns. Slap some pork on them, top with some finely chopped coleslaw and hit with your choice of hot sauce. I just use Tabasco. Reminds me of any gas station meal I can get in Pasquotank or Camden county, Nawf Cackalack.

Leftovers for days!

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh