What's new

Walker Super Kwick Rust Solvent... Anyone remember it?

Ravenbar

Member Number
Loc
NY
I'm currently on a mission to derust the interior of the uniframe rails on my WJ. I just ordered Ospho, and that reminded me that I'd picked up a handful of cans of Super Kwick in a box at a yard sale several years ago and they were tucked in the back of a chemical cabinet. When I first got them, they seemed to have little to no effect on rust and given the slimy texture and slightly green color(of the can I opened), I assumed they'd been refilled with Simple Green or something of that nature for some odd reason.

I just went out and dug out a can, and it had a amber color to the liquid, as I poured some onto a old piece of truck frame as a test to see the results. Looking up the product online, I find very little, just a trademark from the mid 1960's and an empty can of a different design for sale on ebay.

Ospho is the ticket. Turns all the rust black over the course of a few hours. Let the ospho sit for ~24 hours to dry and then topcoat right over it.

I'll be putting on several coats of OSPHO over the course of a couple weeks. The rust is fairly heavy and in hard to get to spots. Access will be via cutting holes in the floorboards above the uniframe rails, and reaching inside and wire brusging and vacumming as much as I can out. Then using something along the lines of the Harbor Freight engine cleaning gun to thoroughly soak the inside several times.

I'll also be welding on frame stiffeners all the way from front LCA mounts to rear shock mounts, including the rear LCA section that no unibody stiffener set includes, as it's internal to a body web. My main rust issues are in the area of that web, including a couple pinholes right above the LCA mount.

Top Back Refresh