What's new

CA Wagoneer dana 44 front axle (or another driver drop axle for '99 Tacoma SAS)

Grronk

Somewhat Retarded
Member Number
Loc
SLO County, CA
Title says it all, looking for an axle to sas my 1999 Tacoma with. Tired of breaking CV axles and rack and pinions. Dont want to spend the money to fix the steering yet again but want it driving again instead of just sitting.

Located in 93446, the closer the better

What are you doing to it that's breaking racks? My 96 4runner has 350k with original rack. Last ~100k with a lift and 33s or 35s.

Fwiw, I'd rather use a jk d30 than a waggy 44:laughing:

What are you doing to it that's breaking racks? My 96 4runner has 350k with original rack. Last ~100k with a lift and 33s or 35s.

Fwiw, I'd rather use a jk d30 than a waggy 44:laughing:

I've had the truck since high-school so it's been beat on, but it has mainly lived as a riverbed truck, so lots of getting stuck in mud and wet sand, cranking the wheels back and forth looking for traction. Maybe its also just bad luck, I've gone through like 4 or 5 of them :homer: Also too many CVs to count

I was seeing driver side JK axles on marketplace, are those actually decent/strong enough for a Tacoma? All my experiences with Dana 30s are seeing them break on pebbles, the truck will most likely see some decent rocks knowing how I treat my stuff

I've had the truck since high-school so it's been beat on, but it has mainly lived as a riverbed truck, so lots of getting stuck in mud and wet sand, cranking the wheels back and forth looking for traction. Maybe its also just bad luck, I've gone through like 4 or 5 of them :homer: Also too many CVs to count

I was seeing driver side JK axles on marketplace, are those actually decent/strong enough for a Tacoma? All my experiences with Dana 30s are seeing them break on pebbles, the truck will most likely see some decent rocks knowing how I treat my stuff

Don't bother with JK dana 30s, axle tubes crack, even on daily drivers.

In my opinion everything but the r&p and tubes are better than the waggy 44. There are leave kits that are dirt cheap to fix the tube issue and I doubt you will be able to break a r&p for your use.

JK guys seem to only have issues because they're like 7k lbs.

Don't bother with JK dana 30s, axle tubes crack, even on daily drivers.

In my opinion everything but the r&p and tubes are better than the waggy 44. There are leave kits that are dirt cheap to fix the tube issue and I doubt you will be able to break a r&p for your use.

JK guys seem to only have issues because they're like 7k lbs.

So a vote for and against JK 30s, I'll look more into them and see whats up with them. How much of a PIA are the sleeve kits to install, I thought they would be more like an external truss, but they slid into the axle tube?

So a vote for and against JK 30s, I'll look more into them and see whats up with them. How much of a PIA are the sleeve kits to install, I thought they would be more like an external truss, but they slid into the axle tube?

You can do either or both.

Bolt pattern is a bit of a problem. I think there is a way to convert to 6 lug, but not certain. The easiest solution would probably be to just add the jk44 rear :laughing:

You can do either or both.

Bolt pattern is a bit of a problem. I think there is a way to convert to 6 lug, but not certain. The easiest solution would probably be to just add the jk44 rear :laughing:

Good to know

Being able to use my current rims would be nice

Superduty D50 and redrill the unit bearing?

Pull the C off and cut down the passenger tube and run a kingpin D60 inner if it's too wide.

Oooor I could just go for a Waggy 44 with the same 6 by 5.5 lug pattern and not need to change anything

I have one for $300 in Durango, Colorado... I'll put it on a pallet if you send a tag.

Oooor I could just go for a Waggy 44 with the same 6 by 5.5 lug pattern and not need to change anything
Now you're using Toyota logic. :flipoff2:

You're already breaking CVs. You're probably just gonna pop a bunch of U joints in the waggy 44.

Top Back Refresh