What's new

Vulcan 8 x 8

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
So I’m putting this here in the hope that it might become a build thread. Any up dates will go here. So far, this has just been a lawn ornament. I actually love it as a lawn ornament, my wife, not so much. To be honest, I really would like to drive it some day.

Back story,
A good friend of mine was driving some back roads about 50 miles from me several years ago. This was when I was busy building my HEMTT. He said that there was a truck something like what I was building sitting along the side of the road. He had a shitty picture of it that got my interest up. I took a drive out there and found it.

It was basically sitting on the side of the road in front of a fence around a big field. There was no building in site and no clue who owned it. There was nothing on this road but fields for over a mile each way. There was a side road a few hundred yards from it and I drove down it hoping to get to a house on the back of that field it was in front of. No houses back that road, but there was a volunteer fire department about 1/4 mile back there. No body was there and everything locked up. It obviously was in use though. I called the phone number on the door. The guy who answered the phone didn’t know very much, but he said he knew someone else that does and he would get back to me.

I heard nothing for two weeks and thought I never would. Out of the blue, some guy calls and said that his aunt owns it and all the property there. I asked if it was for sale and he said “probably”. I come to find out that she is a widow and the truck was her husbands. Turns out that she was a bank teller at my bank. My wife and I have known her for years. She wanted rid of it and I bought it for a song. A couple hundred to a tow truck company and I have a lawn ornament.

57DC3CA7-71FC-42FE-8015-EF1B3485CFCA.jpeg

It was called a Vulcan after the anti aircraft gun it carried. I did some research on it and apparently it was a prototype that the army was interested in. It was built in the seventies and I believe they only built 20 of them. There were a couple different configurations, but the most popular had the Vulcan.

D89059CA-B581-42C8-B36E-A7CDFB7288DC.jpeg

It has a Detroit diesel driving two hydro pumps that I turn drive two hydro motors. (One for each set of 4 wheels)

329F7632-BAF1-4489-B4A4-C889B3018342.jpeg

Each wheel has its own swing arm and spring. In addition, there’s a hydraulic cylinder that can raise and lower that wheel like a Mexican low rider.

BB5F6A85-28C5-454A-BAA9-A859B0766BC8.jpeg

Anyways I got some time and decided to take a look at this thing. First, I got all the flat tires re seated and pumped up. The tires are really in bad shape, but i not willing to spring for new tires at this point. So far, all eight wheels are locked up. The tow truck guy had a hell of a time dragging it up on a flat deck. We had a worse time getting it off. It’s been sitting here ever since. The wheels are linked together by a big ass chain that runs through the main frame rails. The frame is half full of gear oil, so half the chain is great and half is pretty rusty. Not sure if it’s shot, but I would really like to turn it over and get the oil all through it. I’ve been dumping scrap oil in the frame for years, so it’s more than half now.

So the question is how to get it rolling? I’ve heard that all hydro driven equipment locks up when you shut it down. So what do I look for to unlock it? ive located the big hoses that run from the pumps to the motors. Can I just unhook them at the motor? Would there be some kind of pins that need hydro pressure to pull out? Any help would be appreciated.

As to moving it, if it is a hydrostatic drive system there should be an over ride valve on the pump that will allow you to tow it. it won't tow very fast, but it should move. Is there a data plate on the pump?

Take a picture of the motors and where they mount. More than likely its plugged into a reduction box that has an internal brake. If it's set up like that, 2 hoses in a Y and a port o power hand pump will get them unlocked.

My guess there isn't a tow valve but being a army deal maybe it does.

If it has planetary drive motors the easiest way would be to remove the gears from the drive motors. Chain drive? Maybe just cut the chains, master links are pretty cheap $7 for a grade 80.

As to moving it, if it is a hydrostatic drive system there should be an over ride valve on the pump that will allow you to tow it. it won't tow very fast, but it should move. Is there a data plate on the pump?
Would that be on the pump or the wheel motor. As I understand it, they are both basically the same. Would the over ride valve be manually operated?

I’m trying to pull some access panels, but the engineers are, well, engineers. So there’s some issues. When I get to the wheel motors, what am I looking for?

This is plate on pump. Haven’t got to the motor yet, but I think it’s the same.

4E031CEC-1CB5-4FC4-B683-DC939B35CB53.jpeg

Take a picture of the motors and where they mount. More than likely its plugged into a reduction box that has an internal brake. If it's set up like that, 2 hoses in a Y and a port o power hand pump will get them unlocked.

Tough right now, maybe after I get some panels off. The stupid panels are bolted with nuts on the bottom. I may have to get my grandson to crawl under to hold the nuts. This thing is built like a tank and My small floor jack will not pick up one side. My big floor jack would be a bitch to get out in that field. (it’s not close to my shop)

My guess there isn't a tow valve but being a army deal maybe it does.

If it has planetary drive motors the easiest way would be to remove the gears from the drive motors. Chain drive? Maybe just cut the chains, master links are pretty cheap $7 for a grade 80.

I would hate to cut that chain, but even if I did, I don’t see how I would get it out without turning the motor sprockets. There’s an access panel to the chain at the front and back right over the sprockets for those wheels. But there doesn’t appear to be any over the center two wheels. I think the drive motors drive the front center wheels directly and so even if the chain was off, those two wheels would be locked.

Looking at the center cap of the wheels it doesnt look to be planetary but take a wheel off and see what you have underthere.

Rational thinking says at the bare minimum its a spindle and stub drive system the has to be some layer that could be disconnected

Looking at the center cap of the wheels it doesnt look to be planetary but take a wheel off and see what you have underthere.

Rational thinking says at the bare minimum its a spindle and stub drive system the has to be some layer that could be disconnected

No planetary. (At least at the wheel) I believe there may be another chain in every swing arm.

90426549-405A-4D63-9DDD-0030203BAA14.jpeg

Very interesting:

I can't seem to find the company that manufactured it, Standard Manufacturing Co. Inc, so they may be out of business or bought out by some other company at this point. However, I did find they had patented the design of the suspension for it:

And from that page, one of the inventors has plenty of other patents that may help you to decipher the system:

There are other inventors listed, so maybe clicking on each of them will lead you to more specifications that can help you with this. Good luck! :beer:

Wow, Will, you found stuff I never found. That first link is really interesting. I learned something in that second link. The chains only go from wheel to wheel. I was thinking it was one long chain from front to back.

Wow, Will, you found stuff I never found. That first link is really interesting. I learned something in that second link. The chains only go from wheel to wheel. I was thinking it was one long chain from front to back.
that makes since , if one axle was disabled the other 3 on that side could still work :beer:

This looks wicked fun. Not sure I can't find such things as cheap as everyone here does.

Watching this one and will read up on it more.

There may be a shaft somewhere that can be unbolted or has a disconnect to make towing possible. The Army Stryker has have a shaft disconnected in order to tow it. Maybe something similar on there

Found some more information:

It has pictures, but to see them larger than a thumbnail you have to have log into an account But this one is of interest I believe:

ents%2F93%2F93703-97a4696346cee79c6d91b126322f967b.jpg

Couldn't find anything bigger, but it can be enlarged and will be legible.

It appears the company that designed this had aspirations for multiple vehicle types, but it was never bought into by the US military at the time. And I still can't find out the fate of that company.

The other articles I found on this were duplicating what I have already found, so I'm searched out for the time being. Hope this helps you out some more. :beer:

Found some more information:

It has pictures, but to see them larger than a thumbnail you have to have log into an account But this one is of interest I believe:

ents%2F93%2F93703-97a4696346cee79c6d91b126322f967b.jpg

Couldn't find anything bigger, but it can be enlarged and will be legible.

It appears the company that designed this had aspirations for multiple vehicle types, but it was never bought into by the US military at the time. And I still can't find out the fate of that company.

The other articles I found on this were duplicating what I have already found, so I'm searched out for the time being. Hope this helps you out some more. :beer:
There are the planetaries on the ends of the motors in pink, called out "gearbox". My bet is if you pull that round cover on the orange trailing arm you can pull the axle aft out and it will free wheel (not counting wheel park brake logic).

I posted in another thread here some where about converting the pump controllers to linkage or pilot.
Where else did you post this?

ran across this:

is the one pictured the one you snagged?

ETA:

Looks like they dissolved...

That looks to be it, but that’s not where I bought it or my property.

There are the planetaries on the ends of the motors in pink, called out "gearbox". My bet is if you pull that round cover on the orange trailing arm you can pull the axle aft out and it will free wheel (not counting wheel park brake logic).

I don’t think mine is arranged that way. I believe both drive motors are right accross from each other. (Not one in front and one in back.)

I posted in another thread here some where about converting the pump controllers to linkage or pilot.
Where else did you post this?

Probubly in my HEMTT thread.

Update,

So I jacked up the front to have access under the floor. The floor panels have nuts on the bottom.

E9FFC8D4-6591-47CE-8A03-6B772A473316.jpeg

Now I have a lot more access to the workings.

B14CFCF3-C627-4FFF-AF5B-624C524AA674.jpeg

The long manifold you see on the left side is all the electric/hydro controls for raising and lowering each swing arm. I dont Really see a big benefit to controlling them indefinitely. So I remove that whole rail.

54AF5362-936D-43D0-948E-2D8F76146992.jpeg

My first goal is still to roll this thing, so I decided to pull the front sprocket cover to see if it could be disconnected some how.

A90F741F-0CAA-43E1-A6CD-BBB10CBB8419.jpeg

Couldn’t see anything there. I figured I would have to pull the whole hydro motor and/or the gearbox. You can see the one for the left side here now that the swing arm valves are out of the way.

6FC98291-2064-4F96-B9CE-2900730D2D3F.jpeg

I stood there just looking at this mess trying to figure out my next move and, low and behold, I spied something.

695F58D6-4E62-47DB-A65D-049009DA4DC5.jpeg

Right there in that cut out is a “quick pin”. It was quite a job getting it out. That left me with this odd plate that has a 1/2” drive square. Had to dig out the dirt in order to get a ratchet in there.

5A8C7880-89BB-4552-BFFB-019B2134C1A7.jpeg

Once I got the drive in there and put some force on it, the second hole moved over to line up with the hole in the motor.

04E8FBA0-8819-41A5-AB2C-3A29ED178E4F.jpeg

I crawled underneath and found the same setup on the gear motor for the right side. Repeated the ratchet deal. So could this be it? Could this be the holy grail to make this thing roll?

I needed it off the jack stands to test, but my golf cart just quit on me and it’s a long way to drag the floor jack out there. Of course, if it rolls, there’s another way off the stands.

E209B725-1A31-45AA-8BCC-A304D0FCDDC8.jpeg

Win! Rolls easy now.

8E1A9F72-D91D-4DA4-8C94-464491F816A5.jpeg

Well, that's a nice improvement!

If it was me, I would ditch the hydraulic lift cylinders all together and put in regular coilovers. Way less shit to go wrong.

The suspension is backwads so when the shock extends the spring compresses right? Or am i just dumb?

The suspension is backwads so when the shock extends the spring compresses right? Or am i just dumb?

Well, I’m not sure what your saying here, but it is backwards in my mind. When you go over a bump and the wheel goes up, it stretches the spring. The hydro cylinder pulls on the top of the spring which makes the swing arm pivot down.

Looks like the shock is on the hydro cylinder. So ride height can go up and down, but spring rate remains the same.

Yes, spring rate would stay the same if it jacked up or down. I don’t know if there’s any shock. Maybe its inside the spring. Maybe the hydro cylinder somehow doubles as a shock?

Question for you guys,

Is this a hub/disc from a Hummer? Do the brakes look like Hummer?

3B00F1E5-D45D-48B5-AE67-A0111F58748D.jpeg

The wheels are Hummer, so I was thinking they used ”off the shelf” stuff. One of the wheels does not have a caliper or pads. I’m hopping I can buy stock stuff.

Oh ok its even more backwards than i thought! I thought it was set up more like a spring loaded top link on a late model. So the spring stretches instead of compressing when the trailing arm goes up

Oh ok its even more backwards than i thought! I thought it was set up more like a spring loaded top link on a late model. So the spring stretches instead of compressing when the trailing arm goes up
And there is a shock inside the spring, then each arm ties to the previous one if the patents match how it was built:
US4600069-drawings-page-2.png

US4600069-drawings-page-6~2.png

Aaron Z

And there is a shock inside the spring, then each arm ties to the previous one if the patents match how it was built:
Aaron Z

Good to see a shock in there. I don’t see how one arm ties to the other. For what purpose?

Edit, I just noticed that drawing has 10 wheels. Are there versions of this suspension on other vehicles?

Second edit, I just noticed the slight “off angle“ housing at number 66. mine has this and Im having a hard time picturing how this looks inside.

Last edited:
Good to see a shock in there. I don’t see how one arm ties to the other. For what purpose?

Edit, I just noticed that drawing has 10 wheels. Are there versions of this suspension on other vehicles?
Looking further, I'm not sure if that part actually moves or not. If it does move, the whole thing might be set up so that it only needs two cylinders to lift and lower both banks of wheels for applications where they don't need independent control of each wheel/axle.
Speaking of multiple applications, they had quite the array of bodies they were looking at putting on it:
US4600069-drawings-page-16.png

US4600069-drawings-page-19.png

US4600069-drawings-page-21.png

This appears to be the suspension set up the yours may have?

US4600069-drawings-page-14~2.png

Second edit, I just noticed the slight “off angle“ housing at number 66. mine has this and Im having a hard time picturing how this looks inside.
My first guess would be that is the hydraulic motor itself?
US4600069-drawings-page-5.png

If so, it is likely an axial piston type hydraulic motor: Hydraulic Motor Types - A Detailed Guide
Axial-piston-type-hydraulic-motor.jpg

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh