What's new

Vortec 7400 Gremlins

Tug RubNuts

Member Number
Hey all, I've been a long time lurker on the old site and now on this site for a little while now but this will be my first post, so bear with me. I want to start this off by saying I'm NOT a mechanic and I'm not super experienced, I'm just someone trying to learn to fix busted old trucks the hard way. I don't have access to a shop and don't have nearby mechanically inclined friends or family. Everything I do I have to do on the garage floor or the auto store parking lot, with instructions from a Haynes manual or a YouTube video if I'm lucky. With that being said, I'm here looking for some input from those who might have a little (maybe a lot) more experience with diagnosing vehicle symptoms. I tend to type a lot and want to provide as much relevant info as possible so I'll try to highlight the important bits, but here goes nothing.

Some Background: Last summer I bought a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 because I have an addiction to big old trucks and I haven't learned my lesson yet :rolleyes: (and have dreams of using it to tow a future RV). It's a 4 door, 4 wheel drive, long bed DRW truck with the Vortec 7400. Fuel pump seems to have been replaced because of the "access hole" cut in the bed, and according to the PO the brake lines are new (they look pretty good) and the transmission is a newer unit as well. Odometer is frozen at just under 100k. Was supposedly used by an older couple to tow their RV almost exclusively in the summer. The truck is clean enough to back that up and also has 12,000 pound GVWR plates on it, which means someone went through the trouble at the DMV to get it changed as the sticker in the door says 10,000 pounds GVWR. But, the PO was shady as hell so it could have been used for anything for all I know. When I first bought the truck it was almost undriveable because it would completely die while going down the road. Sometimes it would cut out for a few seconds and kick back on after I coasted over to the shoulder and other times it would just start bucking and cut in and out several times in a second. I Eventually managed to white knuckle it home, and upon further inspection under the hood there was a random ass orange wire sticking out by the relay panel that seemed to lead under the firewall. I grabbed the wire strippers and crimped a ring connector onto the wire and then placed it around "Auxiliary Post A" on the fuse relay center and put a nut on top of it, next to a red wire that was mated to "Auxiliary Post B" in the same way. The next time I drove the truck it cut out and back in once, then stopped doing it completely. Later, on a road trip out of state, the truck started acting up again and after I pulled over and popped the hood I saw that the nut holding the random ass orange wire had come loose, so I tightened it and was back on my way. After that little bit of jury rigging the truck always ran like a top, but started hard when it was warmed up and I swore on a few occasions I could smell gasoline when cranking the truck after it had reached operating temperature (in situations like shutting the truck off at the gas station and starting it up right away afterwards). I honestly am not sure this has anything to do with my current issue but want to provide as much information as possible.

The Issue(s): The gauges work except for the oil pressure gauge which turns on and off as the truck bounces along and fuel gauge which comes on once in a blue moon. If I put just the right amount of pressure in just the right area on the about-to-fall-off dash trim those two gauges come to life. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with what's going on but hey, you never know. Also, one of the exhaust manifolds is cracked. After taking the truck on a trip to Colorado and back there was an incident where the truck died on me in a parking lot. The fuel gauge looked low so I bumped the key, the truck fired right up, and I drove it over to the gas station I was next to. However, after filling up the truck it refused to start. I had a dinky little inline spark tester in the glovebox so I put that on cylinder 1 (or whatever the front driver side cylinder is) and it looked like it wasn't getting any spark. I unplugged the spark tester and plugged it back in multiple times. After waiting a few minutes and trying the key again it sounded like a couple cylinders would hit and it felt like the truck was about to jump to life, then that sound and feeling would go away and the truck would just crank and crank with nothing happening. Got a rollback to haul the truck to a local shop and they called me the next afternoon saying the truck started right up and ran flawlessly! After that I didn't have any more issues until about a week or two ago when the truck died on me again after going over a railroad crossing. I pulled onto a side street and popped the hood and once again busted out the dinky little inline spark tester :homer:. I had my buddy in the truck hit the key, and it looked like it wasn't getting spark again. I wanted to make sure I had a snug connection between the spark tester and the wire so my buddy took the key out of the ignition, I unplugged the spark tester and plugged it back in, and had my buddy hit the key again. The damn thing fired right up like nothing ever happened. On both of these occasions I checked the random ass orange wire and it was snug. I don't know what changed recently, but now the truck starts if you even think about bumping the key regardless if it's below zero or the engine is all warmed up, which is nice. However, the biggest issue now is the truck runs like total shit until it reaches operating temperature. I haven't verified this yet, but it sounds and feels like it's only running on 6 or 7 cylinders at idle when it's cold. When I hit the throttle it sounds like the other 1 or 2 cylinders are cutting in at higher RPMs, and then as the truck warms up to operating temp it gradually smooths out and everything sounds like it's running right.

Everything I have done to the truck since buying it: Jury rigging mentioned in the background section, replaced the PCV valve, oil and oil filter change, air filter, new driver side window motor, replaced the front differential (found out the hard way that the leak under the truck wasn't just power steering fluid), new hydraulic brake booster, new plugs and wires. The truck had to go to the shop to get the replacement front differential I put in resealed (my fault for not thinking ahead), and had to go back again because the "remanufactured" hydro boost I was sent went in perfectly except for the hole that one of the high pressure lines threaded into was out of spec. I found that out the hard way when I fought with the line to get it threaded in and tightened as far as it would go. I triumphantly started the truck and all was good for about 5 seconds before power steering fluid started spraying out from around the nut on the end of the flared line, coating several wires and connections against the firewall in the driver side corner :laughing:. I immediately thought something would be screwed up, but didn't notice anything different about the truck after it happened. That was a few months ago, so I'm not sure if it could be related to what's going on now. I tried three different replacement lines with no luck :mad3:. Luckily the shop was able to get one threaded in there, so I avoided having to take the whole unit back out and sending it for replacement. The shop also replaced the sensor for the temperature gauge on the dash.

My (un)educated guesses: I'm gonna start this section off by saying that there are no warning lights on the dash, so the truck isn't exactly giving up any clues. I initially thought the random ass orange wire was for the fuel pump and the truck was dying because the fuel pump was constantly cutting out, but if both those guesses are true I don't think that explains why the truck didn't seem to be getting spark on the occasions I tested it. So, I don't know if I'm wrong about both of those things or if the random ass orange wire has nothing to do with what's currently going on. My next uneducated guess is that some godforsaken length of exposed wiring is grounding out where it shouldn't be as the truck bounces down the road, but that doesn't necessarily explain why the truck runs so rough when it's cold. Uneducated guess #3 is that the cap, rotor, ignition coil, or all three need to be replaced and are just making the truck run funky. My final uneducated guess is that the ECM is going bad, is already bad, OR is causing the truck to run weird because of the cracked exhaust manifold (messing with the O2 sensor or something?). Maybe the timing is off and I don't know the symptoms well enough to recognize it.

I'd like to hear your educated (or uneducated) guesses and theories, and tell me why you think mine are wrong or right. Pirate/Irate has some of the best tech on the web so I'm sure there's a lot of people here that know more than I do, and I'd be grateful for any ideas or help you have. Thanks for reading my big ass post :grinpimp:.

Last edited:
The vortec guys will show up shortly with specifics

in the meantime, you need a shitty obd2 code reader, a fuel pressure gauge with an extended hose so you can put the gauge under the windshield wiper and watch it under load, a new cap/rotor/plugs/wires

and probably buy a name brand ignition switch for your first $25 wild ass guess part

The vortec guys will show up shortly with specifics

in the meantime, you need a shitty obd2 code reader, a fuel pressure gauge with an extended hose so you can put the gauge under the windshield wiper and watch it under load, a new cap/rotor/plugs/wires

and probably buy a name brand ignition switch for your first $25 wild ass guess part

Got the shitty obd2 reader, and plan on doing the cap/rotor when I get a chance. Good advice on the ignition switch!

Here is a list of things to check.

1. Fuel Pressure IIRC vortec 454's need 48 psi to start. Pumps and pressure regulators are common issues.
2. distributor cap. They are notorious for getting condensation inside and corroding the electrodes
3. Mass airflow sensor. Give it a good cleaning with a spray cleaner. When they get dirty and are cold they read incorrectly and cause a massive rich condition.
4. Cam drive gear. These are notorious for wear on the gear causing timing issues. They use a melonized gear. Do not replace with a standard gear the cam will eat it.
5. Injectors sticking and bleeding into the intake. Will start rough and run rough. you can check this by taking the top half of the intake off and cranking the engine with the coil wire disconnected. It's easy to see the injectors firing and dribbling fuel after you stop cranking. Or not firing.
6. Pull all your spark plugs to check for even color
7. Fix your exhaust manifold. I have a spare set I'd sell if you're close to Michigan. I'm not sure it's worth shipping

Here is a list of things to check.

1. Fuel Pressure IIRC vortec 454's need 48 psi to start. Pumps and pressure regulators are common issues.
2. distributor cap. They are notorious for getting condensation inside and corroding the electrodes
3. Mass airflow sensor. Give it a good cleaning with a spray cleaner. When they get dirty and are cold they read incorrectly and cause a massive rich condition.
4. Cam drive gear. These are notorious for wear on the gear causing timing issues. They use a melonized gear. Do not replace with a standard gear the cam will eat it.
5. Injectors sticking and bleeding into the intake. Will start rough and run rough. you can check this by taking the top half of the intake off and cranking the engine with the coil wire disconnected. It's easy to see the injectors firing and dribbling fuel after you stop cranking. Or not firing.
6. Pull all your spark plugs to check for even color
7. Fix your exhaust manifold. I have a spare set I'd sell if you're close to Michigan. I'm not sure it's worth shipping

The MAF isn't something I even thought to check, that's a good tip. Thanks for the info

The MAF isn't something I even thought to check, that's a good tip. Thanks for the info

It's easy to clean but is not going to solve your issues. I'd start with the fuel pressure and distributor cap/rotor.

It's easy to clean but is not going to solve your issues. I'd start with the fuel pressure and distributor cap/rotor.

Any recommendations on where the best place to plumb in a fuel pressure gauge is?

Any recommendations on where the best place to plumb in a fuel pressure gauge is?

There should be a shrader valve on the fuel rail you can hook the tester too.

I would eliminate any grounding issue you have. Do a search for the big 3 upgrade. It will have you add some ground straps to the body, frame and engine. Its a common fix for chevys of this style.

Count on your Injectors and probably fuel pressure regulator needing to be replaced. The factory injectors don't last much past 100k miles. Lots of info about buying mustang injectors to replace them with.

Mine had a warm start condition. It cranked fine cold or hot, but let it cool down for 15 minutes and it would take forever to crank up. You could smell the raw fuel from the exhaust when this happened. New injectors fixed it right up.

After you get everything fixed and running right. Look into doing an 0411 pcm swap. Dont do this until you have all other problems fixed, you dont want to compound things. I just did it on mine and the truck runs better than it ever has. Its a night and day difference.

Last edited:
After you get everything fixed and running right. Look into doing an 0411 pcm swap. Dont do this until you have all other problems fixed, you dont want to compound things. I just did it on mine and the truck runs better than it ever has. Its a night and day difference.

I thought that swap was only for small blocks?

I thought that swap was only for small blocks?

nope, I got the pin out diagram and a preflashed pcm along with all the connectors from lextech on Gmt400.com. Took me a couple hours once I got the nerve up to start. It really isn’t that bad, just read through some how tos before you start.

14963CAA-DCC6-4CE1-9C05-60221D03322E.jpeg

nope, I got the pin out diagram and a preflashed pcm along with all the connectors from lextech on Gmt400.com. Took me a couple hours once I got the nerve up to start. It really isn’t that bad, just read through some how tos before you start.

filedata/fetch?id=375300&d=1618021684

I've read about the 0411 swap before, definitely seems like something worth doing. I think I'm going to try and at least clean the MAF, change the cap/rotor and possibly make some ground strap upgrades sometime this weekend. Hopefully that gets me somewhere. Question about injectors, are the mustang injectors meant to be an upgrade over the originals or are they meant to be a cheaper alternative? I've read good things about the Bosch injectors from Five O Motorsport but it seems like a lot of people go the mustang injector route because of price. Are the Bosch injectors worth it?

Last edited:
I've read about the 0411 swap before, definitely seems like something worth doing. I think I'm going to try and at least clean the MAF, change the cap/rotor and possibly make some ground strap upgrades sometime this weekend. Hopefully that gets me somewhere. Question about injectors, are the mustang injectors meant to be an upgrade over the originals or are they meant to be a cheaper alternative? I've read good things about the Bosch injectors from Five O Motorsport but it seems like a lot of people go the mustang injector route because of price. Are the Bosch injectors worth it?

I honestly can’t remember what I got. I know they were from five 0 Motorsport and I swear I bought from their eBay store but it’s not showing up in history, but neither is a lot of stuff I bought many years ago. I am pretty sure I bought the recommended mustang injectors and they were a direct replacement.

I’d like to recommend do your intake manifold gaskets (both upper and lower), fuel pressure regulator, distributor assembly (cap & rotor included), with new wires and plugs, as a preventative maintenance. Maybe new, better fuel injectors too while you’re at it, too.

What does this mod give you? I couldn't find a whole lot about it

What does this mod give you? I couldn't find a whole lot about it

It’s just better. Starts better idles better runs better shifts better. Plus it can be easily tuned by anybody that tunes ls motors which is pretty much everyone. It can give you a tow/haul button but I haven’t hooked it up yet.

Well, I accomplished some of what I wanted to get done this weekend. I'm out of state for a short while so I'm avoiding taking the plenum off until I'm home and at least have access to a garage, but I managed to get access to the cap and rotor after taking off the bracket that holds the ignition coil and moving it to the side. Changing out the cap and rotor was a much bigger pain than I expected it to be due to the location of the distributor and all the stuff running over the top of it. The old cap and rotor looked extremely corroded so I'm hoping the new ones make a noticeable difference. I took out the MAF sensor and it looked pretty clean, but I sprayed it down with some MAF sensor cleaner anyways. I wanted to try and accomplish "the big 3" upgrade too but all I managed to get done tonight was adding a ground for the negative battery terminal. I think I'm going to replace the battery terminals before taking it for a drive, and hopefully some of this simpler stuff makes some sort of improvement for now.

Top Back Refresh