What's new

Vintage 22s, wood and steel... what are you shooting?

Texas97

Surgical Shotgunner
Member Number
Loc
Texas
Just over the last couple of months, i have acquired a couple Winchester 52B rifles. one is pre-war and the other right after in the late 40s. Both have older scopes, one a Unertl and one a Lyman. The first one i actually bought JUST so i could get that specific Unertl scope off it. But now i think im going to keep the rifle and possibly sell off a Ruger 77/22 and some others.

Ive owned several older rimfires over the years and still have some others that are "less" accurate and not really made for competing (Mossbergs from the 30s and 40s). Had a Remington 37 and sold it, have a Remington 40x from the 50s but its been converted to a repeater and sits in a McMillan. I also still have the REmington 513T i bought from a former OSR PBB member, Zack (ZachChristy screenname).

What are you guys shooting from the era of wood and steal rimfires? anything interesting? Anyone shooting a 52D or E?

I have a marlin model 60 that my dad bought out of the sears catalog in the mid 60's. It has an older scope on it bought around the same time as the rifle. I'm not sure of the brand off the top of my head, if I think about it I'll see what's on it tonight. My brothers and I all learned to shoot with it as well as several of my cousins. The stock has scorching on it from surviving my parents house fire. I acquired it a few years ago, my dad was going to give it to one of my relatives for their kid to learn to shoot and I offered to give him my 10/22 that I'm sure the teenager would rather have anyway.

It's a cool bit of family history and a good shooter too.

Last edited:
I've probably put a couple hundred thousand rounds through an old Winchester 190 my dad won in some FFA contest when he was a kid.

My "old" .22 is pretty new, being an '81 model, but I've got a Marlin 6081 Alamo Commemorative, sold exclusively through OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) back in the day.

It's kind of a Marlin family parts bin hodgepodge, it's a Marlin 60 with "gold" inlay engraved text in a Glenfield squirrel stock, with a little Alamo Commemorative medallion in the butt stock. 145 years seems like an odd time to release a commemorative edition of something. It's got a similar vintage Tasco 4x scope on it, with surprisingly clear glass.

20190621194629-f245bd6d-me.jpg
20190621194630-3c95875b-me.jpg

20190621194631-55fdadb8-me.jpg
20190621194631-2bcfe2c4-me.jpg

20190621194632-24316dea-me.jpg

very cool. never seen one of those alamo commemeratives.

it was probably more like "hey marlin, we want to do a special gun to sell this year" and someone said " Well, its 145 years since the alamo and we can do that" so they did. 6081 is a neat model number to commemorate that.

Steven's favorite (1915?) breech, octagon barrel, was found in my great grandmother's house when she passed. No one had a clue or wanted it.

Winchester model 60, 23" barrel, no finger grooves. Grandfather gave it to me when I was 7. Found in a barn.

Both are better than your eye with iron sights.

I have two model 69a's, a model 67 and a left hand Lakefield target ( think savage mkii, same gun, savage bought lakefield ). All wood stock old school fun.
Kiddo shootin his 69a:

View attachment 377562

I repaired and restored this old Wards Western Field 448A. They were produced from 1939 to 1946. It's a Mossberg Model 51 and still has the original Weaver Marksman rectangular view scope. I actually found an old machinist in Lincoln, NE still making trigger guards from aluminum for it. I found the other parts I needed from Jack First in Rapid City, SD. View attachment 377560 View attachment 377563

52 is one of my bucket list guns...just never seem to have spare cash when I find one.

I have two model 69a's, a model 67 and a left hand Lakefield target ( think savage mkii, same gun, savage bought lakefield ). All wood stock old school fun.
Kiddo shootin his 69a:
That’s Tri-County!

The scope slides freely in the rings. That's a recoil spring that returns it to battery. It's not necessary in a 22 but can be adjusted for other calibers. Some old shooters in WW2 and Nam, removed the spring and returned the scope to the correct position by hand after the recoil moved it forward, or more accurately, the scope stayed in the same place as the rifle recoiled rearward.

Nothing really old, most of my rimfires a are newer vintage (15-20 years old). But, my favorite is a late 70’s-early ‘80’s Rossi 62SA pump (Winchester 62 clone). Me and my brothers grew up with it, and now my kids get to enjoy it.

We’d take it out chasing bunnies in Utah’s west desert, and put 2-3 500 round boxes of ammo a day through it. Probably seen 100k+ rounds, had to replace the trigger (Rossi parts can be hard to come by, but the Winchester 62 parts fit, mostly) and do a little work on the worn lifter a few years ago, but it’s still going strong.

That’s a cool scope... what’s the spring for?
Also, that's not the scope I bought with that gun, that's a 1" target model I had free when I robbed the 1 1/4" target off it for my Model 70 project

I have my Grandpa's Marlin Model 99 that my uncle (mom's brother) bought for Grandpa (his dad) when he moved from the city and bought a farm. The butt plate has been cracked and broken for years. When I got it from my uncle after Grandpa died I was gonna buy a new butt plate but I have since decided to keep it just like Grandpa had it. I have shot it a few times but it mostly stays in my safe. It's not worth much but I will never sell it.

I've acquired some neat stuff over the past couple years.

Was given a Mossberg 42 WWII lend/lease training rifle.
I've got a handful of Winchester single shot .22s because they're cheap fun and great for training new people.
I've got my great-great-grandfather's Win 1894 in .32 Win Special
40s vintage Auto-5 clone/mutt that's a Savage receiver with a Springfield barrel
Universal Carbine to cheaply scratch the M1 Carbine itch
Its a bit newer but I've got a Rossi lever action in .45 Colt thats fun as hell to shoot

I just like the older stuff

Would love to see pics of the lend lease 42 mossberg. I have one with Wards 4x scope on it. Someone had to have worked the trigger on it's, as it's amazing

When I was a little kid we'd shoot the Winchester pump that my Dad and his older Brother shared when they were kids. My Dad was born in 1929 so I assume it was 1930's mfg. It wasn't a takedown, and I don't remember it being a top eject, so I don't know what model it was. Anyway when my Dad died, my Uncle said he wanted the gun and I later found out he gave it to my cousin John, his oldest son, and when I went to my Uncles funeral I asked John about the 22, and he said, "I got rid of it, I didn't want it around the house with the kids." I'm still pissed at that commie bastard, could have at least asked if I wanted it back.:mad3:

Would love to see pics of the lend lease 42 mossberg. I have one with Wards 4x scope on it. Someone had to have worked the trigger on it's, as it's amazing
I'll try to remember. Its got flippy iron sights on it and is missing the front halo. I'll get some pics as maybe someone can school me on them a bit more

You can get a replacement front sight hood. It just slides on. Should be a mossberg 140 rear sight.

Got my uncles old remington scoremaster, that I enjoy shooting. I refinished the stock very lightly, it was pretty rough when I got it.
Tried to give it to several of his kids, but they had no interest. Will probably be my son's first rifle when he's old enough.
22AC7CF4-2E38-4EBB-926C-22DCBAAAE87A.jpeg

My old man has a 513T with a 12x lyman on it that I hope to inherit one day, but it's way too heavy to lug around very much.

I have my grandfather’s rifles

Remington 510 Target Master. While talking to my mom the other day, I learned the rifle was given to her when she was a girl. She had little interest in shooting so it became my grandfather’s squirrel gun. It was the rifle my grandfather taught me to shoot with.

4B4AFCE6-86C5-4CE2-A906-2140A649D140.jpeg

The other one is a Newhaven (Mossberg) 250C. It’s a magazine fed semiauto. The magazine can be adjusted to accommodate .22 short / long / long rifle, which I think is the root of its feeding issues 😕

3E91F2D9-5AAD-43EE-A3BE-AD79E95A9643.jpeg

* Not my pics

Last edited:
I won't bother with a pic as the site seems to be having trouble with posting them to the wrong thread.

Marlin 39A golden boy. Bushnell mill/mill 2-10 because it's way easier to hit gophers with a tree reticle on the 22.

Not shooting them, but two old .22s that sit in the safe. Mk22 Weatherby and a Belgian Browning from the 50s.

Top Back Refresh