What's new

Vice soft jaws

Toreadorranger

Atomic Test Lab Rat
Member Number
Loc
CT
I was trying to put some threaded rod in my vice the other day and I had to wrap some cardboard around it when I realized I don't have any soft jaws for my vice. I went on amazon and there are about 1000 different brands and styles. Does it matter or do I just grab a set of aluminum and a set of plastic from what ever made in china supplier and call it a day.

I was trying to put some threaded rod in my vice the other day and I had to wrap some cardboard around it when I realized I don't have any soft jaws for my vice. I went on amazon and there are about 1000 different brands and styles. Does it matter or do I just grab a set of aluminum and a set of plastic from what ever made in china supplier and call it a day.

You could always make your own and be proud of them.

The copper ones look neat. You cut them out of flat stock and leave tabs that get bend around the vise jaws to retain them.

I have to make some too.

I'd just get some cheap aluminum jaws (or plastic/rubber if you need real delicate). that way I'm not worried about nicking them with a grinder, or whatever.

I like the ones that are held on with magnets, so I can quickly put them on or remove them. I use a set of aluminum jaws almost every day.

I have 2 different styles. The ones that came with my vise have a rubber insert, but don't like any firm clamping. The solid aluminum set I got off Amazon work better for when servicing my shocks because I can get adequate clamping pressure when needed. Both have magnets , but the all alu ones required removing them and JB welding them back in so they sit flush to the back. They were set too deep to hold to the vise.

Aluminum angle iron. Cut to width and set over the standard jaws when needed. Couple bucks from home depot.

Top Back Refresh