What's new

V8 swapped TJ air intake

Bullitt1

Member Number
Nothing new , LQ9 swapped TJ that I’m looking to make as cool running as possible. I’ve got a good radiator and fan which helped and the typical louvered hood but my intake air temps are higher than I want. The 6.0 is crammed and tuned with headers so it makes decent power and manages to do it through a tiny 6” cone filter right off the front of the throttle body. Its a congested mess under the hood like most and I was wanting to go to a much larger remote filter ether in the cowl area or possibly build a box inside behind the dash that takes air in from the cowl . Is this a horrible idea ..performance killer ..already been done? All the shit behind the glovebox is gone or moved so the space is there for the taking.

I used one of these on my V8 swapped Land Cruiser. You can move the air inlet and outlet to any side of the box. Air filters in the cab of the truck are loud, but maybe you can route it out the side or something?

I used one of these on my V8 swapped Land Cruiser. You can move the air inlet and outlet to any side of the box. Air filters in the cab of the truck are loud, but maybe you can route it out the side or something?

I was gonna run a insulated aluminum 4” tube off the throttle body back through the firewall to a box behind the glovebox then a short section of 4” up to the cowl area where I can get much cooler air. I had a buddy of mine who had a reversed car intake on a TJ buggy and the air filter was right behind the radio and like you said ..it was loud as hell but worked good. I was hoping a sealed box with the actual air inlet outside in the cowl would make it bearable.

I have similar issues with a similar set-up (5.3, yj frame, cj front clip). My intake comes around to the passenger's side and I have built a shroud which keeps it from pulling air from the exhaust manifold area. I was thinking of expanding one the shroud, so it had to pull from the louvers I want to add to my hood in the future.

Granted I don't have a stock engine bay, but this is the route I went with my LS powered "TJ".

SHPW14X0Fhg3OjFIggf0JPZQ=w2221-h1249-no?authuser=0.jpg

Granted I don't have a stock engine bay, but this is the route I went with my LS powered "TJ".

SHPW14X0Fhg3OjFIggf0JPZQ=w2221-h1249-no?authuser=0.jpg
My batteries and computer are right where you dropped the filter down or I would have done something very similar. Your TJ is a go fast type rig correct..I‘d worry on my jeep that the filter would be like 6”-8” away from the header and still be pulling in 160° air. That under hood shot sure shows nice attention to detail.

My batteries and computer are right where you dropped the filter down or I would have done something very similar. Your TJ is a go fast type rig correct..I‘d worry on my jeep that the filter would be like 6”-8” away from the header and still be pulling in 160° air. That under hood shot sure shows nice attention to detail.
Yeah, it is a little more go-fast. I am planning on making some form of shield or box to help with the heat from the manifolds. The filter is right next to my cowl panel, I am hoping I will be pulling mostly cool air. But who knows.

I‘m back on the improved air filter project and I’ve decided to go with a shielded 4” dia. filter above the passenger valve cover. I’ve moved my radiator forward about a 1.5“ and relocated my shock tower cross bar out a bunch so I’ve got room for a 180° bend of 4” alu. tube and that’s much better than the POS setup that’s on it now. The question is whats acceptable as far as where the MAF can be mounted in the system? MAF right off the T.B then the 180° then 12” of straight tube to the filter box or can the MAF be put back in the middle of the 12” section? Putting it back in the straight section would be ideal but from what I’ve read on the car sites mounting after that U bend could cause bad MAF performance, any thoughts?

Top Back Refresh