What's new

V10 love?

Adamwende

Member Number
Loc
Arizona
Who’s got a V10, and loves it?

I’ve been thinking about getting a Ford for a second truck. My current truck is an 03 CTD/vn5600, all stock. it’s 2wd. I’d like something similarly capable, but 4x4.

V10s seem relatively cheap. I’d use it for lighter towing, and camping.

Reactions: DMG
I regularly tow 8-10kin the pa mountains with an 06 F250 V10/torqushift. A 5 star tune really woke it up. I get 9 mpg loaded and 12-13 empty.

We have a 99 f350 v10 at work with a small dump body. I have pulled our 6 ton mini excavator on a heavy tandem dual trailer with it. Seems to have enough power but in our use gets maybe 8 mpg. Biggest issue we have had has been leaky exhaust manifolds.

I've got an '06 F350 and use it similar to your plans. I'm not head over heels in love with it but its a good road trip vehicle, rides nice for a 1T truck. Expect horrible mileage (10-12) and reasonable power. It doesn't feel like 350 HP at all because the '05+ trucks are stupid heavy. 05+ V10s are somewhat rare but have a lot upgrades over the first gen ones. Pain in the ass to work on compared to a similar GM gas truck.

When I bought mine i was looking for a 6.0 Chevy but stumbled across it for a reasonable price and had the cab/bed config I was after.

IMG-4679.jpg

Yeah, I’ve been reading up on 2v, vs 3v. You can get the 2v for really cheap. I’ve also been looking for an 8.1. But they are rare. And most the time, very pricey compared to the v10s.

Content with my '00 CCSB 4x4 especially with 5Star tune and 4.56's. I wanted a 7.3 but they were far more expensive and twice the miles most of them. Paid 4K for mine w/150k on it 6 years ago. New diesels prices are beyond insane, forever out of my reach.

I've always thought that if my old 7.3 gets smashed by a tree or whatever, I'd always go look for as new of a V10 Ford or maybe even a 6.2 though.

I've only towed with a 6.0 gm and 6.2 Ford as far as naturally aspirated gas engines go.

The one thing that an NA gas rig falls short imo is at high altitude. No way I'd opt out of a diesel for that, especially when you already own one.

I think you will miss your current truck. Why not convert it to 4wd? 05+ SD 60 and front suspension would be sweet. Not sure what the easiest route for a tcase would be, but I'm sure you could finger it out. I've seen the shit you've built for your buggy :flipoff2:

I have a 2008 F350 Lariat. Use it mostly for hauling either my Alaskan camper, 4runner, or both. Normally see about 10-12 mpg. It isn't the fastest thing hauling up the Colorado passes but it's been good to me. I bought it with about 160k and I'm up to 180k miles. New motor about 45k before I bought it. I didn't know it when I bought but the computer engine hours reads something north of 9500. So ex-oilfield truck:rolleyes: most likely

Just to be clear, I’m not getting rid of my Cummins. I have thought about doing a 4x4 conversion, but I think it’ll hurt the value of the truck. It’s pretty damn clean, and has 115k on the clock.

My only gas towing experience is with my previous 04 5.3 Silverado. I’m hoping my next experience will be...... better. 😂😂

My only gas towing experience is with my previous 04 5.3 Silverado. I’m hoping my next experience will be...... better. 😂😂

Towing your experience will definitely be better if you don't mind 3000+ rpm. The V10 and the 5.3 have very similar powerbands, the V10 just has more of it.

Empty it will be the same with worse mileage. In a drag race i bet my old '99 5.3 silverado would have beat my '06 F350 V10.

Are you just planning on towing your little buggy on a car hauler? Or are you thinking about a cab over also or something?

If it's just the buggy on a light trailer, I'm sure it will be great. I'd almost look for a cheap 1/2 ton for that.

I just saw a 97 1500 gm ex cab with a 5 spd. For $5k at one of those dealers. I'm not a fan of those trucks really, but a 350/5 spd would be cheap to run, and probably do half ass OK on fuel.

I just saw a 97 1500 gm ex cab with a 5 spd. For $5k at one of those dealers. I'm not a fan of those trucks really, but a 350/5 spd would be cheap to run, and probably do half ass OK on fuel.

I used to not like them either but my gf has a '96 2wd half ton and i've really come to like it. Has 250k mi on the original vortec 350 and will knock down 17 city and almost 20mpg highway if you're nice to it. Feels quicker than my V10 empty and super comfortable to drive. Hell i'd probably give up my F350 for a clean 4x4 version of one of those with a manual trans.

I definitely don’t want another manual truck. If I was towing the buggy, it would be on a small flat bed. I’ll leave towing to enclosed trailer to the dodge. I’d consider a 6.0 Chevy too, if the deal was right. But there’s no replacement, for displacement. Unless there’s a turbo involved!

02, V10 F350 driven by employees and worse myself... Not a ball of fire but gets the job done, regular maintenance, gas and tires is all I've put into this thing.

20200406_130830.jpg

I definitely don’t want another manual truck. If I was towing the buggy, it would be on a small flat bed. I’ll leave towing to enclosed trailer to the dodge. I’d consider a 6.0 Chevy too, if the deal was right. But there’s no replacement, for displacement. Unless there’s a turbo involved!

Sounds like you need a cheapo 5.3 truck?

So what's the best years for the V10's?

I've seen some impressive mileage on these (been looking at Excursions). Like stated earlier 7.3l are commanding premium prices. There's two like new 7.3l Excursions on Autotrader at the tune of $28,000 each!

So what's the best years for the V10's?

I've seen some impressive mileage on these (been looking at Excursions). Like stated earlier 7.3l are commanding premium prices. There's two like new 7.3l Excursions on Autotrader at the tune of $28,000 each!

If you shopping strictly Excursions then it doesn't really matter as they are all leaf spring 2V. I guess you could try to avoid the '99 with the more restrictive heads but other than that I think they are all the same.

8.1L > V10

Superduty > GMT800

I was never impressed with the v10, too high strung.

Anyone with v10/zf6?

How do they do with 10-15k behind them?

I don't have the ZF6 but REALLY wanted one until I got my 2010 F350 V10 CCSB 5R100. I'm surprisingly happy with this truck. I bought it for $14k @ 70k miles. It now has 121K and is worth about $20-22k in this truck market three years later.

ZsYgsJ-aqXVce7?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

20210301_012840581_iOS.jpg

She's a working gal. She got named "Sweaty Betty" on a trip from SLC to South Lake Tahoe by an advertising friend riding with us a couple years ago. I get 6.5-7mpg with this load and trailer. I get 8 mpg with my silver "Jeep" on a single car hauler. 11-12 mpg commuting and about 13 mpg running about 75 mph on a straight interstate run without a trailer. The name fits all to well. It's a great truck. It comes with a cost of fuel vs a deezel. It does not have DEF, a turbo, expensive injectors, etc. I've never been able to get the mpg out of whatever deezel pickups other folks have but the deezels I've had all get about 9-12 mpg at worst towing this kind of load and get about 14-17 mpg on highway cruising.

As for how the do with that load, much better than I expected. I expected to be 55 mph climbing out of Moab and possibly even less mph on other 7500+ elevation mountain passes. I can top out of Moab at about 65-68 mph and worst mountain passes I'm about 60-62 mph with that load or similar. The climb from Carson City to South Lake Tahoe is about as steep and windy of a highway as I've had it on and it did as well as the 7.3L Excursion I was towing with. We had different powerbands and I'd want to pass him in some spots and he'd want to pass me in others. Just as we were trying to sort that stuff out, he started hitting temps in his trans and I slowed to just stay behind him. In my opinion, the V10 compares well and is a good truck. It's not a deezel and never will be. I'm confident it'll do the job you want it to but you'll need a gas card. I'm trying to talk myself out of my truck and trail Jeep and into a Gladiator. Not sure it'll happen as I don't want a payment at all.

(I've had '99 7.3L, CCSB, '01 Excursion 7.3L, '04 2500 Cummins {pile of shit with an awesome engine}, 2001 7.3L, '98 2500 Cummins and now this 2010 F350 with V10-4.10 gears) The '99 7.3L would be my favorite truck and this V10 is a very close 2nd. This truck just works. I think the manual would make it a little better (I have the 5r100) but for an auto, this is a good trans to tow with.

Bonus for this new of a truck: GET THE INTEGRATED BRAKE CONTROLLER

Last edited:
I don't have the ZF6 but REALLY wanted one until I got my 2010 F350 V10 CCSB 5R100. I'm surprisingly happy with this truck. I bought it for $14k @ 70k miles. It now has 121K and is worth about $20-22k in this truck market three years later.

ZsYgsJ-aqXVce7?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

20210301_012840581_iOS.jpg

She's a working gal. She got named "Sweaty Betty" on a trip from SLC to South Lake Tahoe by an advertising friend riding with us a couple years ago. I get 6.5-7mpg with this load and trailer. I get 8 mpg with my silver "Jeep" on a single car hauler. 11-12 mpg commuting and about 13 mpg running about 75 mph on a straight interstate run without a trailer. The name fits all to well. It's a great truck. It comes with a cost of fuel vs a deezel. It does not have DEF, a turbo, expensive injectors, etc. I've never been able to get the mpg out of whatever deezel pickups other folks have but the deezels I've had all get about 9-12 mpg at worst towing this kind of load and get about 14-17 mpg on highway cruising.

As for how the do with that load, much better than I expected. I expected to be 55 mph climbing out of Moab and possibly even less mph on other 7500+ elevation mountain passes. I can top out of Moab at about 65-68 mph and worst mountain passes I'm about 60-62 mph with that load or similar. The climb from Carson City to South Lake Tahoe is about as steep and windy of a highway as I've had it on and it did as well as the 7.3L Excursion I was towing with. We had different powerbands and I'd want to pass him in some spots and he'd want to pass me in others. Just as we were trying to sort that stuff out, he started hitting temps in his trans and I slowed to just stay behind him. In my opinion, the V10 compares well and is a good truck. It's not a deezel and never will be. I'm confident it'll do the job you want it to but you'll need a gas card. I'm trying to talk myself out of my truck and trail Jeep and into a Gladiator. Not sure it'll happen as I don't want a payment at all.

(I've had '99 7.3L, CCSB, '01 Excursion 7.3L, '04 2500 Cummins {pile of shit with an awesome engine}, 2001 7.3L, '98 2500 Cummins and now this 2010 F350 with V10-4.10 gears) The '99 7.3L would be my favorite truck and this V10 is a very close 2nd. This truck just works. I think the manual would make it a little better (I have the 5r100) but for an auto, this is a good trans to tow with.

Bonus for this new of a truck: GET THE INTEGRATED BRAKE CONTROLLER

Kind of nitpicking, but I think you mean 5R110. Manual trans trucks were near impossible to find when I was looking, so I just accepted that I hadno choice when I was shopping for mine. Now having towed with the 5R110, and how impressed I've been coming from my last truck with an old school automatic (E4OD), I don't think I'd want to go back to rowing gears with how well the shift management works on these things.

The integrated brake controller sure is nice, but I recently moved an old 30' travel trailer from the bay area to out past Reno, and the trailer's brakes didn't work (showed no connection). With the engine braking and speed control the 5R110 does in tow-haul mode, I honestly didn't have to use the brakes all that much coming down out of the mountain passes on 80, I was very impressed.

Kind of nitpicking, but I think you mean 5R110. Manual trans trucks were near impossible to find when I was looking, so I just accepted that I hadno choice when I was shopping for mine. Now having towed with the 5R110, and how impressed I've been coming from my last truck with an old school automatic (E4OD), I don't think I'd want to go back to rowing gears with how well the shift management works on these things.

The integrated brake controller sure is nice, but I recently moved an old 30' travel trailer from the bay area to out past Reno, and the trailer's brakes didn't work (showed no connection). With the engine braking and speed control the 5R110 does in tow-haul mode, I honestly didn't have to use the brakes all that much coming down out of the mountain passes on 80, I was very impressed.

You are kind of nitpicking but you're right on the 5R110. I still miss "rowing gears" sometimes. However the engine braking is pretty awesome in "Tow/Haul" mode. The integrated brake controller and the "Tow/haul" is good enough I can look past the "rowing gears" for the most part.

For what it's worth, I have a few friends that like the Ford Super Duty but have had enough "experience" with the 6.0L and/or the 6.4L deezels that they are running the 6.2L gas with the 6 speed. They seem just as happy with their trucks as I am with mine. From what I can tell with my direct friend group, it'd be tough to beat the V10/5R110 or the 6.2L/6 speed (whatever F*rd calls that). I have one friend that went from a 6.7L Ford Powerstroke to a 6.7L Ram Cummins and now has a gasser 7.3L/10 speed and is equally thrilled with the 7.3L gas. I'm pretty interested in the 7.3L/10 speed but not ready to throw down the massive $ for one of those.

my main tow rig is a '10 f350 cclb with a 5.4 and 5r110. i wish i had the v10, but it get the job done, and i'm regularly around 20k gross on 3k
+ mi round trips.

the tow rig before that was a '12 f350 eclb 6.2 and 6speed. ( it wasn't big enough for the carseats so i had to get the other truck) tbh for me it was a toss up between the two which id rather use.

the '10 rides better. i dont know if its length and the roads here make the diff, or if the suspension is broke in? the '10 has 260k and '12 had 60k on it. the 6speed i was plenty happy with but i've been happier with the shifting and braking of the 5r110. the 6speed i'd only use tow/haul when in the hills, it was annoying to have on anyother time. the 5r110 i leave in tow/haul anytime i've got more than 10k lbs behind it, and shifting has never made me frustrated.

i bought the current truck as a temporary solution, but i've come to really like it and not gaf about beating on it. if the motor or trans went tomorrow i'd put a new one in with out a second thought. i'm going to run that truck a long time, it does make me nervous takign the big trips we do with such high miles, so i got some oil sample kits do run for the motor and trans hopefully they will give confidence, or tell me a pre-emptive replacement is needed. a in a couple months when work slows down i'll also look further into swaping gears or to 4.30 axles, but i think i want to go deeper than 4.30 i've thought going as far as 5.13's, well see when i get there.

*also mbryson's post is spot on. if you can get over spinning higher rpms, gas is the way to go. the crazy repair costs of newer diesels is too hard to swallow. i could almost get and entire new drivetrain for the cost of a newer diesels exhaust, or fuel system etc..

a in a couple months when work slows down i'll also look further into swaping gears or to 4.30 axles, but i think i want to go deeper than 4.30 i've thought going as far as 5.13's, well see when i get there.
I did 4.56's in my '00 CCSB with a Mike's 5star. Wish I would have done 5.13's. My tires are barely larger/taller than stock

I wonder if taking notes on your trip would be worth it. Gear, rpm, speed, grade and if you wished for different.

My only experience is changing my 7.3 from 4.10s to 3.54s when I was doing a lot of high way driving. It was a pretty noticeable jump.

What you guys are doing is a different ball game, but either way, I'd definitely want to get it right the first time.

Top Back Refresh