What's new

V10 in a ramcharger

Member Number
Has anyone put a v10 8.0 from a 2nd gen dodge in a ram charger I’ve been seeing a lot of 2nd get 2500’s for sale lately with v10’s some with 5speed manuals and some that are 4x4
1.Are the v10’s reliable and worth the swap I’m thinking about getting one in my town thats v10 5 speed and 4x4 and just cut the frame down and body swap my ramcharger onto it.
2. Did all 2500 2nd gen rams come with a Dana 60 front like 5.9 gasser,8.0 v10 and 5.9 Cummins in my research I’ve heard yes and no can some shed some light. Thanks in advance

Afaik. V10 trucks are built/treated just as cummins.
But i cant say for sure on the axles.
Cummins all had d60 with 4bolt unit brgs.
I know v8 2500/3500 have had 3bolt unit brg d60s but idk if theres a cut off .

Idk if v10 got d80 rears at all. Cum got d70 & d80

V10 got the same input shaft and bell houseing as cummins. V8 are different.

I've owned a couple v10s, I wouldnt put the effort into one over a mild 360 or 408. Especially in a ram charger that's already set up for a LA.

Same running gear as cummins.

I've owned a couple v10s, I wouldnt put the effort into one over a mild 360 or 408. Especially in a ram charger that's already set up for a LA.

I’m looking at cost too v10 300+ hp and 400+ tq overdrive transmission and a Dana 60 front I found one for sale in my town 6,500$ 170k miles v10 5 speed manual and 4x4 id have way more into my truck if I did a 408 & finding a nv4500 4x4 trans and sourcing a Dana 60 from someone it would be nearly 10k+ and still have a 1/2 frame and leaves in the front

I’m looking at cost too v10 300+ hp and 400+ tq overdrive transmission and a Dana 60 front I found one for sale in my town 6,500$ 170k miles v10 5 speed manual and 4x4 id have way more into my truck if I did a 408 & finding a nv4500 4x4 trans and sourcing a Dana 60 from someone it would be nearly 10k+ and still have a 1/2 frame and leaves in the front
I've toyed with the idea of putting my spare V10 in my 76 crew cab. I think if you have the entire drivetrain it's a swap that makes sense.

HOWEVER, you will find that if you want parts availability in the future, the V10 dodge may not be for you. I've been looking for a good new replacement crank sensor for over a year and am coming up with nothing. Currently using a 250k mile used one in my tow rig and have a new chink one in the glovebox for a spare. The new chink one I bought a year ago failed after 1k miles.:mad3:

I’ve heard parts are a bitch to get if I do it I’ll be looking for a parts truck in the near future after but check the junk yard in the one near me there is at least 6 v10 truck but you can’t buy the whole truck from my pick n pull

hardware is relatively easy to get. It’s the electrical stuff that differs from the V8 that’s the problem.

Myself I'd prefer doing a Gen3 Hemi swap, Holley makes almost everything you'll need.

Myself I'd prefer doing a Gen3 Hemi swap, Holley makes almost everything you'll need.
I would agree a gen 3 hemi would be ideal but for the cost of doin 1 tons over drive trans and motor the 8.0 makes the most sense it’s a complete package

Been thinking of replacing the 360 LA in my Ram, block is cracked etc. Recommendations on a 408 builder?

Yeah was hoping not to start from scratch, but I can
ATK longblock from Jegs Summit too rich for what you're looking to do? No idea what the pricing is now, but I was eyeballing doing that for a really long time.

ETA: Ah, yes, "Product not available, no info on future availability" Cool.

So what I'm gathering is
"If you want a derdge v10, use aftermarket engine management and get ready to fabricobble because stock parts are ass"

So what I'm gathering is
"If you want a derdge v10, use aftermarket engine management and get ready to fabricobble because stock parts are ass"
Stock parts for the V10 are pretty good. There are a couple of sensors that are NLA from quality sources. Basically all the hard parts sans timing cover (which is an issue if you don't have a quality machine shop to fix it from previous owners not doing maintenance) are available.
Dodge V10 is the bellwether for the issues that will plague all modern engines in the next decade. Unfortunately if you want order part/bolt on we are probably going to be stuck with LS with aftermarket controls when it reaches that point. Or tree-fiddy bowtie with an HEI/Holley...
This is why I'm not a hoarder, I'm an investor!:flipoff2:

If I remember correctly the V10 uses same axles as cummins so an auto truck will have D60 front and D70 rear and 5spd truck will have D60\D80. The D44 setup was only available first couple years on the low GVW trucks and I dont think you could get the V10 in the low GVW, or at least I have never seen one. They also use same cummins coil spring setup vs the V8 springs incase you go looking to lift\level.

Every one I've seen is spec'd as a cummins. An auto srw truck will be d60 front d70 rear, a 5 speed is d60/d80 a dually is d80. The 5 speed is a direct swap for a cummins, including the input and bell iirc. Makes a v10 truck worth buying just for the tranny....

Forget a frame swap
A 94+ dodge puts the front axle way back into the cab, it will look like a retarded over bite with an older body.

I can't say I'm a hemi fan, but they are plentiful, and the auto trannys swap around pretty good, a t case can be bolted to a 2wd tranny, so you can mix and match a bunch of cheap parts into a decent finished project

Top Back Refresh