What's new

Utility Machines, What sucks and what doesn't?

TrikeKid

Junk Hoarder
Member Number
Loc
Spana-graham, WA
Looking at utility side by side for my mom to help her get around the property and do the little bit of yard work she does more easily. Dad passed last month so I'm doing what I can on the weekends but I'm an hour+ away without traffic and it would make it a lot easier for her to be a little more independent.

Main thing it'd be doing is dragging garbage cans up and down the road and some light duty yard work. 4x4 is a must and either easy manual steering or power steering would be nicer for her to run. Off-road capability isn't super high on the list, dad's quad is there and I've got some derelict old junk I could haul over there if I need to drag stuff up in the woods.

Used sxs market here sucks, all sport machines for 80-90% of new. Seems like everyone around here that buys one for work keeps it forever or runs it till it dies.

Been looking at the Honda Pioneer 700, Yamaha Viking and Kawasaki Mule SX 4x4/4x4 XC so far. Not interested in the chinese machines, seems like all the MSRP with none of the resale value and questionable quality. Any other machines in that size/price range I should be looking at/for?

Had a Pioneer 700 Deluxe with power steering and had zero problems with it. I traded it in on a Pioneer 1000 mainly for the power and speed.

I'll throw my vote in on a Rhino or an older Ranger. On the rhino if she needs power steering, electric from many small cars is an easy swap.

The mule is by far the easiest to get in and out of.

Why 4x4? Snow? If not an absolute must id say a new golf cart with utility bed would be best.

I'll throw my vote in on a Rhino or an older Ranger. On the rhino if she needs power steering, electric from many small cars is an easy swap.
Rhino was my first choice but used rhinos are non existent here except a handful of highly modified ones. I've been looking for one of those for myself for a few months with no luck.
The mule is by far the easiest to get in and out of.

Why 4x4? Snow? If not an absolute must id say a new golf cart with utility bed would be best.
It doesn't snow often out there but when it does it's a foot or more and the property is steep as fawk.

I came in to mention the rhino as well. I just added an ez steer kit to mine. It’s great and was only around $700. Install was a piece of cake.

Rhino was my first choice but used rhinos are non existent here except a handful of highly modified ones. I've been looking for one of those for myself for a few months with no luck.

It doesn't snow often out there but when it does it's a foot or more and the property is steep as fawk.
I think I got lucky with mine, I’ve been looking for another efi 700. Plenty of the 660’s down this way.

After my dad had a stroke I bought him a 2021 Viking 700. It was a nice and simple machine. Make sure you get one with power steering. After my dad passed, my mom had a very hard time driving it around and I ended up selling it earlier this year. I’ve been eyeballing a 570 ranger for her to take garbage to the end of the road with and to get the mail.

My 04 ezgo 480 bought new is completely worn out. If I could buy another just like it (v twin, locking diff and a steel dump bed) I'd get one tomorrow. It has been completely reliable around the farm.
Looking at yahama viking 2 seater to replace it. Anybody got one?

A 2wd cart will work perfect then because grandma has a) no business being out in that b) will probably just get stuck farther from the house if she has a 4x4.

I have a Honda Pioneer 500 that gets a lot of use. I put Can-am Maverick take-off beadlocks on it, and it does fine offroad. They don't have a front locker or power steering though, but you can add both if needed. I bought mine new and use it primarily for yard maintenance/logging, usually has a 4'x8' trailer behind it.

I have a truck toolbox on the back and an ATV rack, but they also make them with beds now instead of the rack like I have.

Just something else to consider. I'd equate it to the Suzuki Samurai of the sxs world.

I had a 2005 diesel Ranger for a while. Ended up selling it this summer, decided it was either it or the Unimog. About the only thing I used the Ranger for was moving firewood around and running down the street to the mailbox.
diesel was ok, but it wasn't something I could fire up in the middle of winter and use right away. Had to let it warm up a good 10+ mins before it would have enough power to move around.
The cab and heater were nice too.

One of the few things I made decent money selling. Traded 2 guns and a bit of money for it... maybe $6ish k worth total. Sold it for about double.

See if you can find a 400 Ranger. They usually sell cheap because they are not fast.

Top Back Refresh