What's new

Utah

Slander

Team no stickys
Member Number
Loc
Hickory, NC
Wife and I are looking at bailing off this sinking ship now that our jobs are no longer tied to this hell hole. One of the places we were eyeing up is Utah, specifically the SLC metro area as we both need to be near a bigger city/industry/large airport for work. I get it probably has the usual big city issues of being expensive and homeless there, but how bad is the LDS there? I used to work with a company based on Ogden, and while they were mostly LDS they were pretty cool. My former employee was telling me you are basically fucked if you arent LDS and want to live and work there, any truth to that? He was 75 and a chicken little... I dont give two shits about booze laws or if the town basically shuts down at 11pm, as I cant really drink anymore and we are hermits lol. I'm more focused on being closer to mountains and outdoor stuff, away from this dump, and closer to wheeling and making enough $$$ to do that and live comfortably. No kids and no plans on having any. Thanks!

Sounds like you are in a position where literally everything will be better than what you've got now.

weather won't really be any worse, because of where SLC is, you can stretch out your commute to 1-1/2 hours if you want and live pretty much anywhere or however you want. If you want less commute, then you will be more or less stuck in the sprawl.

the LDS will ignore you if you ignore them, which is about all you can ask out of people. plenty of stupid laws, but not nearly as bad as IL

Sounds like you are in a position where literally everything will be better than what you've got now.

weather won't really be any worse, because of where SLC is, you can stretch out your commute to 1-1/2 hours if you want and live pretty much anywhere or however you want. If you want less commute, then you will be more or less stuck in the sprawl.

the LDS will ignore you if you ignore them, which is about all you can ask out of people. plenty of stupid laws, but not nearly as bad as IL

Thanks. I excel at ignoring people and letting them do what they do as long as they leave me alone.

Thanks. I excel at ignoring people and letting them do what they do as long as they leave me alone.

i've only visited SLC in spurts of weeks over winters and years ago for snowboarding, but grew up around a pretty big mormon area. can they be cult like out there? certainly. I wouldn't walk on to a jobsite and start talking shit about their underwear or life choices or whatever, but that is generally bad form anywhere. it just might get your froze out of a region there :laughing: Really SLC is big enough that as long as you aren't overly involved in the politics of the day that it doesn't matter.

i've only visited SLC in spurts of weeks over winters and years ago for snowboarding, but grew up around a pretty big mormon area. can they be cult like out there? certainly. I wouldn't walk on to a jobsite and start talking shit about their underwear or life choices or whatever, but that is generally bad form anywhere. it just might get your froze out of a region there :laughing: Really SLC is big enough that as long as you aren't overly involved in the politics of the day that it doesn't matter.

Thats what I figured. I'm pretty easy going in person and respect peoples shit. I know all about religious cults, half my wifes family are jehovah witness and I havent fought with them yet LOL!! They stay out of your hair generally.

SLC is actually pretty cool anymore. The LDS has loosened up a ton in the last 20 years. Not as many CA migrants as Nevada, not as hot as Arizona, and not as bipolar as Oregon.

​​​​​

LDS aren’t gonna bother you. As has been said, SLC is way crowded. If you decide to make the move, stay out of West Valley City. It’s the getto of Salt Lake valley. Be prepared for price shock on housing. The whole state is in a building boom and house prices have climbed 20 plus percent a year. It’s crazy! Unemployment was nonexistent before COVID. You might find Utah is unbelievably crowded when it comes to getting away from the hoards of people when trying to recreate. I grew up here so your impression might be different. People are way more rude than they were even a few years ago.

Have lived in SLC since 1997.
Place is nothing that it used to be, zoo sounds about right.
Expanding rapidly but it is not a controlled growth. Construction everywhere and year around, traffic is bad anywhere in the valley, some places fare slightly better.

As for the outdoors, forget about weekends. Too many people out there every which way. Campsites all full, tons of SXS’s, cyclists all over which has taken fun out of having my Miata out for a canyon run, these days I try to time it sometime during the workweek.

As said above home prices have gone up, and are still climbing. Gone are the days of $300k custom homes and such, for about $250k you get a fixer upper or a townhome.

I would say look at Idaho, but Boise has already taken similar path, hearing similar about Twin Falls area.

Wife and I are looking at bailing off this sinking ship now that our jobs are no longer tied to this hell hole. One of the places we were eyeing up is Utah, specifically the SLC metro area as we both need to be near a bigger city/industry/large airport for work. I get it probably has the usual big city issues of being expensive and homeless there, but how bad is the LDS there? I used to work with a company based on Ogden, and while they were mostly LDS they were pretty cool. My former employee was telling me you are basically fucked if you arent LDS and want to live and work there, any truth to that? He was 75 and a chicken little... I dont give two shits about booze laws or if the town basically shuts down at 11pm, as I cant really drink anymore and we are hermits lol. I'm more focused on being closer to mountains and outdoor stuff, away from this dump, and closer to wheeling and making enough $$$ to do that and live comfortably. No kids and no plans on having any. Thanks!

Ever been to NYC?

Cold, Winter weather.
Pinko-libtard, leftist mother fucking assholes.

Only difference between NYC and SLC, is that SLC has the elitist, snobby Mormons.

Last edited:
I’m about 40 miles west of SLC, and while I’ve spent most of my life in the salt lake valley, I like my little rural town (35,000 ish) to much to go back. My commute to south salt lake for work is about 40 minutes. Plenty of smaller towns close enough to salt lake to commute too, but stay out of West Valley, and parts of Magna.

LDS isn’t as big a percent of the population as it used to be. Maybe 25% of the population is active LDS. Most are good people who may invite you to church, but aren’t gonna shun you for not being LDS.

Lots of recreation options here. 1 hour in any direction from salt lake, you can be at the lake (freshwater, not the smelly cesspool that is the great salt lake), 9-10,000 feet up in pine forest, or sagebrush and sand if you like. I live 12 minutes from my shooting range on BLM land, and about 7 minutes from the local canyon. 6-8 ski resorts with s couple hours drive, lots of camping and fishing options. Decent hunting, lots of public ground, so some areas do get a bit crowded.

Downtown has has a decent amount of nightlife if your into it. Local breweries are decent, but hard stuff is limited to state run liquor stores with fucked up hours.

Cold (single digits in Jan/feb) and snowy the winter (salt lake valley gets some pretty shitty inversion in the winter), hot in the summer (highs in the low 100’s)

Expanding rapidly but it is not a controlled growth. Construction everywhere and year around, traffic is bad anywhere in the valley, some places fare slightly better.

As for the outdoors, forget about weekends. Too many people out there every which way. Campsites all full, tons of SXS’s, cyclists all over which has taken fun out of having my Miata out for a canyon run, these days I try to time it sometime during the workweek.

As said above home prices have gone up, and are still climbing. Gone are the days of $300k custom homes and such, for about $250k you get a fixer upper or a townhome.

You just perfectly described Colorado - just add in a bunch of liberal dipshits. :laughing:

I’m about 40 miles west of SLC, and while I’ve spent most of my life in the salt lake valley, I like my little rural town (35,000 ish) to much to go back. My commute to south salt lake for work is about 40 minutes. Plenty of smaller towns close enough to salt lake to commute too, but stay out of West Valley, and parts of Magna.

LDS isn’t as big a percent of the population as it used to be. Maybe 25% of the population is active LDS. Most are good people who may invite you to church, but aren’t gonna shun you for not being LDS.

Lots of recreation options here. 1 hour in any direction from salt lake, you can be at the lake (freshwater, not the smelly cesspool that is the great salt lake), 9-10,000 feet up in pine forest, or sagebrush and sand if you like. I live 12 minutes from my shooting range on BLM land, and about 7 minutes from the local canyon. 6-8 ski resorts with s couple hours drive, lots of camping and fishing options. Decent hunting, lots of public ground, so some areas do get a bit crowded.

Downtown has has a decent amount of nightlife if your into it. Local breweries are decent, but hard stuff is limited to state run liquor stores with fucked up hours.

Cold (single digits in Jan/feb) and snowy the winter (salt lake valley gets some pretty shitty inversion in the winter), hot in the summer (highs in the low 100’s)

Uh tell the truth. Tell him about the hell it is to get out of Tooele in the morning and back in the evening. Yea, I KNOW, I lived there. I also know for a FACT the LDS will fuck with you. I have a settlement from them to prove that fact true. Tell him the LDS ward loves to put up a flag every Independence Day dead center of every LDS ward member's yard. That way when you drive down the street, you can clearly tell who is LDS and who isn't. Then, tell him if Halloween falls on a Sunday, you don't do it. If Independence day falls on a Sunday, you don't celebrate it as it is Pioneer days. Tell him how they will knock on your door and you politely decline, then It's once a week, you politely decline, then it's once a month you politely decline, then the knock on the door is a cop saying they have a complaint about YOU parking on the street, but he's NOT going to do anything about all of your LDS neighbors that park on it too.. Not including the shit your daughter will get at school from the LDS cult kids.
Then tell him how it's jammed packed going up Parleys into the mountains and it jammed up there with people also. Then tell him about all the people escaping to Wendover on the weekend. Yes, I know about the shooting areas and I even had a 2 mile long shooting range north of exit 62. It was still there when I was working Hill AFB range north and south of there and at Dugway a year and a half ago.. The west desert is a hell of a lot more open and less people than the mountains to the east. WE even have RV acreage on the river in the Mountains and I HATED going up there. Fucking people everywhere.

Then the smog... yea, it get really bad.

Last edited:
Replying to this: The west desert is a hell of a lot more open and less people than the mountains to the east.

They are building a ton of new housing there as well. Saratoga Springs, Eagle Mountain, Tooele, Grantsville, and areas around them are all over-developed like crazy. I bet people that built there initially did so to escape city life, it has now caught up to them.
With only a handful of roads to get around with traffic there is a nightmare as well.

(At present time I deliver for Amazon and spend considerable amount of time all over those areas.)

Uh tell the truth. Tell him about the hell it is to get out of Tooele in the morning and back in the evening. Yea, I KNOW, I lived there. I also know for a FACT the LDS will fuck with you. I have a settlement from them to prove that fact true. Tell him the LDS ward loves to put up a flag every Independence Day dead center of every LDS ward member's yard. That way when you drive down the street, you can clearly tell who is LDS and who isn't. Then, tell him if Halloween falls on a Sunday, you don't do it. If Independence day falls on a Sunday, you don't celebrate it as it is Pioneer days. Tell him how they will knock on your door and you politely decline, then It's once a week, you politely decline, then it's once a month you politely decline, then the knock on the door is a cop saying they have a complaint about YOU parking on the street, but he's NOT going to do anything about all of your LDS neighbors that park on it too.. Not including the shit your daughter will get at school from the LDS cult kids.
Then tell him how it's jammed packed going up Parleys into the mountains and it jammed up there with people also. Then tell him about all the people escaping to Wendover on the weekend. Yes, I know about the shooting areas and I even had a 2 mile long shooting range north of exit 62. It was still there when I was working Hill AFB range north and south of there and at Dugway a year and a half ago.. The west desert is a hell of a lot more open and less people than the mountains to the east. WE even have RV acreage on the river in the Mountains and I HATED going up there. Fucking people everywhere.

Then the smog... yea, it get really bad.

It’s a large city, it’s gonna have traffic.

Its public land, there’s gonna be other people.

Commute from tooele is not as shitty as you remember, I do it twice a day.

The LDS don’t fuck with me, but I’m not going out of my way to annoy them, or anybody else.

For hating the area and people so much, sounds like you’ve spent a lot of time here.

Utah is full. FUCK OFF!:flipoff2:

If you must come here please kill two Californians once you get here and dont ruin Utah by voting for the democraps.

Utah is full. FUCK OFF!:flipoff2:

If you must come here please kill two Californians once you get here and dont ruin Utah by voting for the democraps.

This is no fucking shit! Fucking Kalifornia Libretard this morning packing his ice chest, drops the empty plastic bags in the parking lot! I gave him the royal fucking salute and disposed of his shit! FUCK OFF!

Have lived in SLC since 1997.

I would say look at Idaho, but Boise has already taken similar path, hearing similar about Twin Falls area.

Cool thanks, I'll take home prices climbing rather than my taxes climbing here.
thanks for the feedback. Idaho is on the shortlist but the job situation there kind of sucks.

Ever been to NYC?

Cold, Winter weather.
Pinko-libtard, leftist mother fucking assholes.

Only difference between NYC and SLC, is that SLC has the elitist, snobby Mormons.
I like winter.

I used to have to go to NY for work. Fuck the east coast and evreyone in it, hate it there and evreyone there or that's from there, truely garbage people.

Top Back Refresh