What's new

Utah

Born and raised, looking to leave. 3rd highest quality of life in the Union my ass.

We are taxed, regulated, and fined, at every turn; unless you are one of the elite developers "serving" the legislature.

I was just talking to a board member of Tread Lightly about this on Sunday. Like it or not, the states and Feds are seeing an abuse and destruction of public lands. Much of it is attributed to SXS's. True, false, partly true, partly false, agree, disagree - doesn't matter. They see it that way. And I certainly see it in some of Michigan's state and federal land. Shit is getting TORE UP here.

Org's like Tread Lightly and UFWDA are trying to make a difference by attempting to educate people. If they can show an acknowledgement of the problem, and an effort to reduce the problem, it helps slow down the urge for land closures. If a state is willing to implement a training format vs simply shutting things down, I'm all for it.

I started wheeling in 1976. The places I see closed now compared to what we used to wheel is astounding. I don't want it to get any worse. So if I have to sit through some 30 minute bullshit class to keep my trails open, I'm in.
Your accepting the easy way out in my opinion.
Blanket rules.

Patrol and fine the worthless mutherfawkers that cause the problem.

I stay the trail and pick up trash but I have to pay the price.
I've have spent a lot of time in Utah both for work and play but that is coming to a close.

Snowmobiling has been this way in some states for a long time. Is taking a certification class that big of a deal?

Well at least now everyone will be educated when they wad up their rental sxs.
I doubt it. If it’s anything like CA’s boating license rentals are exempt. Stupid fucking lawmakers.

Your accepting the easy way out in my opinion.
Blanket rules.

Patrol and fine the worthless mutherfawkers that cause the problem.

I stay the trail and pick up trash but I have to pay the price.
I've have spent a lot of time in Utah both for work and play but that is coming to a close.
Sure. Just keep doing the same thing and hope it will be OK. Then 40 years from now you can look back like I am doing and realize that if we won't be proactive, we will lose it all and it won't be there for our kids or grandkids.

RE easy way out - what a laugh. I've been a member of UFWDA and GLFWDA since 1979. I'm one of only two or three people awarded lifetime memberships to both UFWDA and GLFWDA by the GLFWDA membership. I've met with DNR, done trail cleanups, went to meetings, organized the single largest turnout in our county park's history for the vote on our park, wrote letters and have been the #1 user enthusiast representative to our county and state for our local ORV park. 2 years ago I took 8 fucking vacation days for the development of our park.

So yeah, I've taken the EASY way out. :flipoff2:

Bold of them to assume that a free online class is going to change anything. Just like all other government regulation, those that comply were never the problem in the first place.

That being said, for me coming into the state to wheel, I am interested to learn about the ways that the people of Utah want their trails managed and maintained, how camping is handled etc. because it may be different than where I am from and that is OK.

I suppose you're ok with asking the government for permission to carry a firearam as well?
sxs's and snowmobiles are in the constitution? Huh, never knew.

I am ok with dumbfucks I'm sharing the trail with getting some kind of training before I am out there with my kids.

Seems like some of you are conflating registration/sticker with training. AZ requires you buy their sticker (registration) for your OHV if its from out of state, but that is not this. This is like TX's boater's education which is required for all users, resident or not.

I started wheeling in 1976. The places I see closed now compared to what we used to wheel is astounding. I don't want it to get any worse. So if I have to sit through some 30 minute bullshit class to keep my trails open, I'm in.
By your own admission you have seen the closures no matter the hoops we jump through. Eventually as you have seen, they close land off. That is a fact. The agencies will close land no matter what class I take, fee I pay. That is another fact.
Land closures are not management and those agencies know that, yet they strive for it, no matter how nice we play.
Fuck them.

By your own admission you have seen the closures no matter the hoops we jump through. Eventually as you have seen, they close land off. That is a fact. The agencies will close land no matter what class I take, fee I pay. That is another fact.
Land closures are not management and those agencies know that, yet they strive for it, no matter how nice we play.
Fuck them.
And I have seen closures slowed down and in some cases stopped by people being activists. I will do anything I can logically do to SLOW DOWN the closures. Or I can just say fuck it like you do and watch it happen sooner.

Bold of them to assume that a free online class is going to change anything. Just like all other government regulation, those that comply were never the problem in the first place.

That being said, for me coming into the state to wheel, I am interested to learn about the ways that the people of Utah want their trails managed and maintained, how camping is handled etc. because it may be different than where I am from and that is OK.
this.
it's like the "boater safety course" i had to take. online, completely open book, any moron can pass it.
all the same shit that used to happen still happens.
Fun fact, I had to take the damned safety course, but my wife didn't because she's two years older than me.

this.
it's like the "boater safety course" i had to take. online, completely open book, any moron can pass it.
all the same shit that used to happen still happens.
Fun fact, I had to take the damned safety course, but my wife didn't because she's two years older than me.
fuck me man, my boat course was in class for eight fucking hours.

Top Back Refresh