What's new

USPSA or ANY Competition videos pictures etc.... Post them here

xr-nut

GROUP W BENCH
Member Number
Loc
BFK. Bum Fuck Kansas
Like the title says, did you shoot and have some fun? Show us.

Last year my oldest and I started shooting uspsa. You may have seen my thread on my CZ woes. Well that turd is pretty sorted now, but Im still struggling with reloads. thats a different thread though!

Last weekends uspsa match at the capital city gun club. put on by capital city practical shooters. this was a really fun stage. video is my son, not me. I'm not showing how slow and bad a shot I am. :lmao: He's running a cz ts orange with a sro (I think) in the open class. we both picked up 29 round mags a months ago, those change our stage plans in a really good way.

Didn’t take many pics during the match, but here’s my Lethal Weapons TX squad at the end of the match. I shot in the retro battle rifle division.

IMG_9305.jpeg

here is my run on the stage in the op. it wasnt awful. I think my boy and I had similar accuracy, he was just a few seconds quicker.

edit: I just checked the numbers and I did better than he did on this stage :laughing:

me: 5.9302 hit factor 17.20 seconds 18 alpha 4 charlie
him: 5.1703 hit factor 16.44 seconds 16 alpha 5 charlie 1 mike

for reference, because math is cool, the fast time on that stage looked like this:

9.5329 hit factor, 10.49 seconds, 14 alpha 7 charlie 1 mike.

Last edited:
This past Saturday. Targets at 430, 615, 630 and 1003. Had to shoot from 4 different ports. It was a tough one and I timed out before I could get off my last shot on the 1k. Still, I thought 7 of 8 was pretty good.

353421981_721075850026183_5536172814835303533_n.jpg

The above pictures are from my local private range, Cowtown, and on the other side of the ridge to the right are pistol bays, and a 100 zero range as well as a 130 yard range, and the local three gun guys run matches over there, I've shot a couple including one where we shot out past 400 and the regular pray and spray red dot guys were crying a river, so one of the match directors asked me, "You shoot PRS, right? We're thinking of having an Accurized AR match to help these guys with their distance shooting, can you help?" Sure, why not. So we started with two divisions AR15 to include .223, .224 Valk, 6.5 Grendel, 6 ARC or whatever else will shoot out of an AR15 platform, and one for AR10 to include any caliber under 3200fps. Also a open class, any bags, any scope, bipod, etc., Restricted which is max 10x and you can use a bipod OR a bag but not both, Tactical which is typically a LPVO and no bipod or bags. Anyway, it's a very popular event and it sells out in minutes every month, as it's a lot of fun and no taping of targets after every shooting, and it's been fun for me to see the progress of these guys who at the beginning were crying that the full size IPSC target was at 500, and now they're shooting 12" gongs at near 700.

This stage was three shots from three different positions for a max score of 9, but it was the tie breaker so your time counts. I think the fastest guy was under 40 seconds!

Here's a barricade wall, can only shoot prone once. Don't remember the distance but likely 400 or so. Also I've learned to not listen to certain spotters, these are club matches so help can be offered, but a real NRL type match you're not supposed to coach the shooter.

The above pictures are from my local private range, Cowtown, and on the other side of the ridge to the right are pistol bays, and a 100 zero range as well as a 130 yard range, and the local three gun guys run matches over there, I've shot a couple including one where we shot out past 400 and the regular pray and spray red dot guys were crying a river, so one of the match directors asked me, "You shoot PRS, right? We're thinking of having an Accurized AR match to help these guys with their distance shooting, can you help?" Sure, why not. So we started with two divisions AR15 to include .223, .224 Valk, 6.5 Grendel, 6 ARC or whatever else will shoot out of an AR15 platform, and one for AR10 to include any caliber under 3200fps. Also a open class, any bags, any scope, bipod, etc., Restricted which is max 10x and you can use a bipod OR a bag but not both, Tactical which is typically a LPVO and no bipod or bags. Anyway, it's a very popular event and it sells out in minutes every month, as it's a lot of fun and no taping of targets after every shooting, and it's been fun for me to see the progress of these guys who at the beginning were crying that the full size IPSC target was at 500, and now they're shooting 12" gongs at near 700.

This stage was three shots from three different positions for a max score of 9, but it was the tie breaker so your time counts. I think the fastest guy was under 40 seconds!

Hell ya that looks like a lot of fun! I enjoy shooting my ar, and I'm sure I would be humbled shooting out there :lmao:

here is my run on the stage in the op. it wasnt awful. I think my boy and I had similar accuracy, he was just a few seconds quicker.

edit: I just checked the numbers and I did better than he did on this stage :laughing:

me: 5.9302 hit factor 17.20 seconds 18 alpha 4 charlie
him: 5.1703 hit factor 16.44 seconds 16 alpha 5 charlie 1 mike

for reference, because math is cool, the fast time on that stage looked like this:

9.5329 hit factor, 10.49 seconds, 14 alpha 7 charlie 1 mike.

i used to have the guys telling me you can't miss fast enough. thats bull shit, hit factors tell the real story.

i used to have the guys telling me you can't miss fast enough. thats bull shit, hit factors tell the real story.
A single miss is an 11-15 point deficit from where you could have been in points for that one single shot. Unless the hit factor is that high and you can call the mike and split really fast to make it up, you definitely can't miss fast enough. In the case of the 9.5HF posted above, its pretty close. BUt once you start getting to to the typical HHFs for a stage of 6-8, a miss is the equivalent of two seconds. You gotta be that much faster on the stage then the other guy who got that alpha.

Hell ya that looks like a lot of fun! I enjoy shooting my ar, and I'm sure I would be humbled shooting out there :lmao:
Everyone shoots 77g match bullets, except the newbies that typically use 55's for 3-gun. They learn pretty quick that those 55's are going to get pushed around a bunch at distance. The wind at this range is usually 12 or 6 at the shooting position, but it can go LR AND RL out to the target, so reading mirage is usually your best bet.

Everyone shoots 77g match bullets, except the newbies that typically use 55's for 3-gun. They learn pretty quick that those 55's are going to get pushed around a bunch at distance. The wind at this range is usually 12 or 6 at the shooting position, but it can go LR AND RL out to the target, so reading mirage is usually your best bet.
See I barely understood some of what you just said. Humbled, I'm sure would be experience.

Couple videos from last sunday. I shot well but was slow. Kid beat me overall. I think he was 9th overall, me 15, out of 28. So not last and I had fun! IF you cant tell, Im the fatter of the two. :laughing: quick stage, fire 2 on each uspsa target from first box(8 rounds) and then move to front box and repeat(16 rounds total) with a mag change in between. I was more accurate, but his speed gave him a higher shot factor.

It is really fun and a good group of dudes, (mostly). We all share info, "I held .5 left, or "I should have dialed instead of holding", etc., and there's a good amount of shit talking as you might expect. After we put the props away, we all go to the roadhouse nearby and have burgers and beers. There's at least two bolt matches per month, the AR match, and several .22lr matches. You could shoot every weekend if you wanted.

As far as the humbled part, Rob Leatham started shooting the AR matches with us, and I beat him, and haven't beat him since.:laughing: Good shooters are good shooters, a good USPSA shooter is going to do well in 3-gun, etc. We also get some LEO snipers out, and they're used to shooting 200 and in, so the distances can be a humbling experience, I'm getting better every time, so it's still exciting to me.

AR match today. Targets at 240, 285, 500, 550 and 715 yards. COF was hit to move on, and target order was random, RO would call out your target and the following one. 7 hits on the first four targets, then a final shot at the 715. 90 second par time.

Curiously we had two guns blow up on this one stage. One completely destroyed the upper receiver like it fired out of battery, and the second had less damage, but we found a cartridges' case that had be separated.

Video won't upload, maybe too big at 138mb

Last edited:
AR match today. Targets at 240, 285, 500, 550 and 715 yards. COF was hit to move on, and target order was random, RO would call out your target and the following one. 7 hits on the first four targets, then a final shot at the 715. 90 second par time.

Curiously we had two guns blow up on this one stage. One completely destroyed the upper receiver like it fired out of battery, and the second had less damage, but we found a cartridges' case that had be separated.

Video won't upload, maybe too big at 138mb
When you say "ar match", its not a box stock 16'' barrel ar correct? 285 and down seems doable with my ar's but that 500+ jump is a long ways out there. But Im not running a scope on either of mine. Dots are harder to get out that far with. (?) Can barely see that 240 distance in an eotech. :laughing:

When you say "ar match", its not a box stock 16'' barrel ar correct? 285 and down seems doable with my ar's but that 500+ jump is a long ways out there. But Im not running a scope on either of mine. Dots are harder to get out that far with. (?) Can barely see that 240 distance in an eotech. :laughing:
Four classes;

Open Any scope, any length barrel, any bipod, any bag, tripod for rear support, etc. Only a Heavy (.308, .260, 6.5CM, 6GT, etc.), or Light designation (.223, .224Valk, 6 ARC, 6.5 Grendel, etc). Most are shooting 18 or 20" barrels with rifle length gas systems for softer recoil and increased ability to see impacts/misses.

Restricted. 10x power max scope, bipod OR bag. Heavy or Light.

Tactical. No bipod or bag, (but there's a bunch of 3G shooters that use the various sandbags and wood blocks and shoot prone0, fucking gamers). Most of these guys are using LVPO 1-6 or 2-10x etc. Some of these guys are shooting 16" or even 14.5" barrels.

Limited. 1x Red Dot or iron sights, but only first timers shoot this category and figure out pretty quick they need some sort of optic.:laughing:

I've been shooting mostly Restricted this season, as it's a good application for my 24" Les Baer with a Trijicon CredoFFP 2-10x. I'm literally the only one shooting this match without a muzzle device, but the barrel is a heavy Krieger and the handguard is an old school tube, so it's plenty heavy to control recoil and watch impacts. Most stages involve movement, like shoot 3 targets at various distances from 4 different positions on a PRS barricade or Viking wall, or maybe off a cable spool, then a 50g barrel, then prone, that sort of thing. Or they might have you shoot targets 1-4 move, then 4-1 move, then 1 & 2. It's a fun game.

20150725_111622.jpg
119107_large.jpg

Four classes;

Open Any scope, any length barrel, any bipod, any bag, tripod for rear support, etc. Only a Heavy (.308, .260, 6.5CM, 6GT, etc.), or Light designation (.223, .224Valk, 6 ARC, 6.5 Grendel, etc). Most are shooting 18 or 20" barrels with rifle length gas systems for softer recoil and increased ability to see impacts/misses.

Restricted. 10x power max scope, bipod OR bag. Heavy or Light.

Tactical. No bipod or bag, (but there's a bunch of 3G shooters that use the various sandbags and wood blocks and shoot prone0, fucking gamers). Most of these guys are using LVPO 1-6 or 2-10x etc. Some of these guys are shooting 16" or even 14.5" barrels.

Limited. 1x Red Dot or iron sights, but only first timers shoot this category and figure out pretty quick they need some sort of optic.:laughing:

I've been shooting mostly Restricted this season, as it's a good application for my 24" Les Baer with a Trijicon CredoFFP 2-10x. I'm literally the only one shooting this match without a muzzle device, but the barrel is a heavy Krieger and the handguard is an old school tube, so it's plenty heavy to control recoil and watch impacts. Most stages involve movement, like shoot 3 targets at various distances from 4 different positions on a PRS barricade or Viking wall, or maybe off a cable spool, then a 50g barrel, then prone, that sort of thing. Or they might have you shoot targets 1-4 move, then 4-1 move, then 1 & 2. It's a fun game.

20150725_111622.jpg
119107_large.jpg
Thanks for the details, sounds like a lot of fun. Just what I need, another expensive hobby!:laughing:

When you say muzzle device is that a suppressor?

Thanks for the details, sounds like a lot of fun. Just what I need, another expensive hobby!:laughing:

When you say muzzle device is that a suppressor?
Some guys, the polite ones, run a suppressor, the rest of us run the most obnoxious brake we can find. This is my open gun and pretty typical of what you'd see.

P1090591.JPG

Some guys, the polite ones, run a suppressor, the rest of us run the most obnoxious brake we can find. This is my open gun and pretty typical of what you'd see.
So they can retain accuracy with a can? My little 22lr changes the zero between quiet and not. not much, maybe half an inch. but its noticeable at 100ft, cant imagine what 700yrds looks like.

So they can retain accuracy with a can? My little 22lr changes the zero between quiet and not. not much, maybe half an inch. but its noticeable at 100ft, cant imagine what 700yrds looks like.
Most cans will cause a POI shift, but you can account for it in your ballistics calculator if you shoot both suppressed and non. Me, my cans live on the rifle, except for one that I swap between my house gun and travel gun.

Some folks claim improved precision, ( which is different from accuracy), and that's more important as you can account for POI shift (accuracy), but if the groups open up (precision) at 100, then yeah it's a big problem at 700.

The first rifle can I had was on a factory Tikka T3, and it was fine for a few shots, but by the end of a 10 or 12 shot string in under 90 seconds, I felt like it was putting too much heat back into the barrel and the dispersion was opening up. Replaced that barrel with a MTU profile from Preferred and it's not a problem now.

Most cans will cause a POI shift, but you can account for it in your ballistics calculator if you shoot both suppressed and non. Me, my cans live on the rifle, except for one that I swap between my house gun and travel gun.

Some folks claim improved precision, ( which is different from accuracy), and that's more important as you can account for POI shift (accuracy), but if the groups open up (precision) at 100, then yeah it's a big problem at 700.

The first rifle can I had was on a factory Tikka T3, and it was fine for a few shots, but by the end of a 10 or 12 shot string in under 90 seconds, I felt like it was putting too much heat back into the barrel and the dispersion was opening up. Replaced that barrel with a MTU profile from Preferred and it's not a problem now.
ballistics calculator? poi? accuracy vs precision? there's so much to learn.......:lmao:

I re-read your reply a few times, I understand what you're saying. Never really shot much at distance to think about those terms and how they affected my shooting. I want to do distance shooting and learn. I thinks theres a range in Nebraska that puts on classes and meets. I'll go dig up some info.

The Ryan Cleckner book "Long Range Shooting Handbook" is a good place to start, and if you want to get into the science of it the Bryan Litz books are great starting with "Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting" and moving into the "Modern Advancement" series.

Ballistics calculator apps are common, Shooter, Applied Ballistics, Geo Ballistics, Hornaday, Strelok (although you can't get new copies of this one due to Russia ban). I use a Kestrel 5700 Elite with Applied Ballistics as my primary source of firing solutions, but some of the apps are nearly as good for a lot less money. My buddy Ryan uses Geo Ballistics and has no problem getting out past 1k with his 6mm Creedmoor.

POI is Point of Impact, so that's where the bullet actually hit vs. the POA which is Point of Aim. Say you're shooting in a crosswind at distance, you might have to move your POA to account for the bullet getting blown off course to get the POI you want.

ballistics calculator? poi? accuracy vs precision? there's so much to learn.......:lmao:

I re-read your reply a few times, I understand what you're saying. Never really shot much at distance to think about those terms and how they affected my shooting. I want to do distance shooting and learn. I thinks theres a range in Nebraska that puts on classes and meets. I'll go dig up some info.

If you want to get into long range shooting, you are in a great location. There are 3 ranges in Kansas that put on monthly PRS matches. The closest to you is Ottawa, they are a newer range and have been doing a lot of work, it's a great place. The PRS finale is in Medicine Lodge this year, it's happening in a week and a half. There is an ELR (extreme long range) range in Linclon KS that has targets out to 4000 yards. They also do 1 or 2 PRS style matches a year. There are also a couple ranges in MO not far from KC.

My gunsmith's shop is 2 miles from my house. He and his customers finish 1, 2, and 4 in points in the PRS Midwest region.

If you want to buy a PRS style set-up, I'll make you a deal on my stuff. I haven't shot a match in almost 2 years. It's time to move it along.

If you want to get into long range shooting, you are in a great location. There are 3 ranges in Kansas that put on monthly PRS matches. The closest to you is Ottawa, they are a newer range and have been doing a lot of work, it's a great place. The PRS finale is in Medicine Lodge this year, it's happening in a week and a half. There is an ELR (extreme long range) range in Linclon KS that has targets out to 4000 yards. They also do 1 or 2 PRS style matches a year. There are also a couple ranges in MO not far from KC.

My gunsmith's shop is 2 miles from my house. He and his customers finish 1, 2, and 4 in points in the PRS Midwest region.

If you want to buy a PRS style set-up, I'll make you a deal on my stuff. I haven't shot a match in almost 2 years. It's time to move it along.
text inbound :laughing:

Top Back Refresh