What's new

Useless things about your day!

I've been meaning to start one about shitty car tires one for a long time. I figure I'll shit this one up instead. I'm quoting you because you're one of the experts on the subject. :flipoff2:

You got any tips on how to make "normal" aspect ratio P-metrics live a long life. Despite weighing 1k less than the cars they come stock on my shit is tearing up 205/55/16s. It didn't go through tires at near the same speed with the 185/75/14s. They don't wear that much faster, what they do is start having tread bubbles way before the baldness level at which the 14s would start doing that.

I run the same assortment of used tires and Amazon specials (I've literally bought the same Fullway tire in both sizes) so that's unchanged.

I go through about four tires a year now instead of four tires per 2yr. Commute is unchanged. Usage is unchanged. Cruise speed is in the 60s these days instead of the 80s before so that's not a factor.

The only thing I can think of is that since I slide through an average of four ramps per day I'm simply beating them harder because the lower sidewall tire has more force on it because the taller sidewall 14 would have been slipping by that point.

All my problems before and after the tire change are on the driver's side which makes sense since those are the ones that bear the brunt of the cornering.

Pressure is 30-40 front and 40-50 rear, once again no change from the 14s.

As much as I hate the lower profile tires for being temperamental they've all but eliminated sway when loaded and added 3mph to my fastest speed around my "home" on-ramp. :laughing:

So what the fuck am I doing wrong here? (besides drifting two on-ramps a day) Women in 4000lb Outbacks can get these tires to live a decent life, why can't I?

45acp
55 series was "low profile" in maybe 1990.

Amazon quit selling tires to here recently, nit sure why.

They don't wear that much faster, what they do is start having tread bubbles way before the baldness level at which the 14s would start doing that.
dunno man, I took off another couple for having ply separated them not that long ago

long ago accepted that this car (the jetta wagon) breaks belts, when it does I change them out fairly soon as compared to how long I'd run them torn up, since running them lumpy makes the oil come outta the shocks
Might have to do with it being a 3800lb pig that gets loaded to 5k at times, where the golf was a 2700 lb pig that rarely saw 4k

Wild ass guess, the 16's are letting you carry more cornering speed vs the 14's... so where you were averaging say 65mph in Offramp A curve you're now averaging 72mph (I'm pulling all these numbers out of my ass)

The crappy handling characteristics of the 14's saved them somewhat. The 16's are able to hold to the limits of the car and they're getting smoked quicker.

On the broken belt thing- pretty much all small rim old school car tires are Chyna now no matter the brand (or sometimes Mexico). For whatever reason Chyna doesn't use the really tough grippy rubber on the belts like everyone else and they don't stay together well. Also their belt splices suck. Like "send it thats good enough" on an open splice that would go to the shredder anywhere else.

Wild ass guess, the 16's are letting you carry more cornering speed vs the 14's... so where you were averaging say 65mph in Offramp A curve you're now averaging 72mph (I'm pulling all these numbers out of my ass)

The crappy handling characteristics of the 14's saved them somewhat. The 16's are able to hold to the limits of the car and they're getting smoked quicker.

On the broken belt thing- pretty much all small rim old school car tires are Chyna now no matter the brand (or sometimes Mexico). For whatever reason Chyna doesn't use the really tough grippy rubber on the belts like everyone else and they don't stay together well. Also their belt splices suck. Like "send it thats good enough" on an open splice that would go to the shredder anywhere else.
Would 205/55/16 fall into the "small rim old school car tire" category? I guess it doesn't really matter since whatever I'm buying is coming from China regardless.

Obviously the 14s would be in the same category but maybe the shit handling of the 14s is keeping them from breaking shit like you said.

Might have to do with it being a 3800lb pig that gets loaded to 5k at times, where the golf was a 2700 lb pig that rarely saw 4k
I am the Golf in this. :laughing:

What makes me confused is that normal people with cars that weigh in the high 3s don't seem to have these problems. Habitually cornering at the limit doesn't seem like it's enough to make such a difference when I'm doing it in a car that weighs 1k less.

Would 205/55/16 fall into the "small rim old school car tire" category? I guess it doesn't really matter since whatever I'm buying is coming from China regardless.

Obviously the 14s would be in the same category but maybe the shit handling of the 14s is keeping them from breaking shit like you said.

I am the Golf in this. :laughing:

What makes me confused is that normal people with cars that weigh in the high 3s don't seem to have these problems. Habitually cornering at the limit doesn't seem like it's enough to make such a difference when I'm doing it in a car that weighs 1k less.

I'm gonna bet cornering does them in. I run 215/60/16s and the best I have ever got out of a set is 30k on supposedly 50-60k tread life tires (cheapies to more expensive ones).I've been kinda looking for something that does better or trying a 17 but I haven't gotten that motivated yet.

Anyone else notice that various shades of gray are a popuĺar new color for motor vehicles? And NPCs are gray too. Coincidence?

I've been saying for decades now that all modern cars (going back decades :flipoff2: ) are some shade of grey.

Silver grey
Charcoal grey
Midnight grey
White As Day grey

And so forth. All just some iteration of white to black is supremely popular and has been for a long long time.

I've been saying for decades now that all modern cars (going back decades :flipoff2: ) are some shade of grey.

Silver grey
Charcoal grey
Midnight grey
White As Day grey

And so forth. All just some iteration of white to black is supremely popular and has been for a long long time.
Yeah but now it's light to mid dark primer gray. NPCs.

Screenshot_20240921_205331_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240921_205136_Chrome.jpg

As much as I hate the lower profile tires for being temperamental they've all but eliminated sway when loaded and added 3mph to my fastest speed around my "home" on-ramp. :laughing:

So what the fuck am I doing wrong here? (besides drifting two on-ramps a day) Women in 4000lb Outbacks can get these tires to live a decent life, why can't I?
Read your fucking post.

"Why can't they last?!?!"

Somehow there is a cause and effect going on. Let's get the fucking scooby doo gang and the mystery machine out here to investigate!

pulls the hood off... annnnnd

Screenshot_20240921_213229_Chrome.jpg

Yes and yes, and although it doesn't seem like it... it does.

Your exact tire will last alot longer on a 4000lb car doing boring boomer runs taking the grandkids to school 4mph under the speed limit vs those same tires on a 3000lb car doing daily fast and the furious runs.

Had planned to go in and perf pipe today.
However the weather has different plans
It's 🌧 and appears it's going to most of the day.
So maybe later on get 3-4 hours in and a bunch perfed.
Meanwhile playing ball and tug a rope with Clyde. Doing Ghostbusters marathon this am.
Sausage gravy is starting to do its thing as well as 1st cup of coffee ☕️ in way over 2 weeks.

Had planned to go in and perf pipe today.
However the weather has different plans
It's 🌧 and appears it's going to most of the day.
So maybe later on get 3-4 hours in and a bunch perfed.
Meanwhile playing ball and tug a rope with Clyde. Doing Ghostbusters marathon this am.
Sausage gravy is starting to do its thing as well as 1st cup of coffee ☕️ in way over 2 weeks.
Oh thanks a lot dude. I just finished up a giant breakfast and you give me a wicked craving for biscuits and sausage gravy. Well I guess I know what's gonna be for dinner tonight now.:laughing:

45acp
Not mine but alls good either way:usa::smokin:

No damp and dry here.
Starts out dry until it his cooked sausage and grease or fat whichever you wanna call it.. then a quick I mean quick browning of flour. .then next step.:usa: slowly adding whole milk and. Never stop the stirring with a fork until it's ready less than half heat .

45acp
Not mine but alls good either way:usa::smokin:

No damp and dry here.
Starts out dry until it his cooked sausage and grease or fat whichever you wanna call it.. then a quick I mean quick browning of flour. .then next step.:usa: slowly adding whole milk and. Never stop the stirring with a fork until it's ready less than half heat .
You... you're turning the simple joke into a calculus equation.

:laughing: :flipoff2:

Read your fucking post.

"Why can't they last?!?!"

Somehow there is a cause and effect going on. Let's get the fucking scooby doo gang and the mystery machine out here to investigate!

pulls the hood off... annnnnd

The question wasn't why they don't last as long as tires on cars driven by "normal people" last. I'm perfectly happy with them not lasting. The question was why the new better modern shit doesn't last as good as the antiquated garbage all else being equal. That's a pretty fucking reasonable question.

Everyone up until you understood that. And you probably would've understood it too if you weren't looking for some reason to get your panties in a knot over what I post.

Yes and yes, and although it doesn't seem like it... it does.

Your exact tire will last alot longer on a 4000lb car doing boring boomer runs taking the grandkids to school 4mph under the speed limit vs those same tires on a 3000lb car doing daily fast and the furious runs.
Well, I guess I'll just phase the 16s out and go back to sliding around more slowly. :laughing:
I Think a trolley on the top of the I beam with out riggers from it coming down at an angle as wide as the truck and contacting the ground would be a good idea the bottom 6'~ would be removable & adjustable while the top would ride the trolley back to the truck and attach to it for storage. Or maybe I'm over thinking it:homer:.
attachment(463).jpg
attachment(462).jpg
attachment(460).jpg
attachment(461).jpg

I figure this is between 7 and 8% tongue weight. Haven't been by a scale (it's out of the way) since it grew toolboxes and stuff so IDK :homer:

yeah some dudes on here seem to be missing the 'broken belts' side of things
these tires got tons of tread on them when they get lumpy

I don't like the long stickout out the back even just for straight vertical loading
the beam's gonna want to twist and flop down

Top Back Refresh