What's new

Useless things about your day!

So for the last month, this bright green lizard has been living in the shop. See him every other time we're out there. The kids named him Green Bean.

Daughter has been filling beer bottle caps with water and leaving him drink bowls all over the shop.

In my chair-
20240827_123512.jpg

Under a toolbox-
20240903_113755.jpg

climbing on the crawler-
20240908_152738.jpg
"Look man, you gonna switch insurance carriers or not?"

so, m12 standard is 1.75 pitch
m12 banjo bolts are 1.5 pitch
m12 fine is 1.25 in jap stuff
m12 extra fine is 1.0 in bastard shit

so I've historically had trouble finding standard 1.5 pitch banjo bolts, they were the only size the parts stores didn't stock
now it's flipped on its face, can't find a damn 1.25 pitch one, I know I've got one around somewhere but I can only turn up 1.75, 1.5 and 1.0 in my parts pile

gonna be cutting down and drilling out a bolt pretty soon, dammit
thought about cutting a groove down the side of the bolt but that seems a little hokey even for me

I Think a trolley on the top of the I beam with out riggers from it coming down at an angle as wide as the truck and contacting the ground would be a good idea the bottom 6'~ would be removable & adjustable while the top would ride the trolley back to the truck and attach to it for storage. Or maybe I'm over thinking it:homer:.
I wound up just building it with no extra supports whatsoever. I'll get pics this Sunday. Maybe.

I'm gonna build a couple foot tall bolt on rider for the middle of the big beam to run a chain and turnbuckle over (like the flat stock top strap on an engine hoist) and pad eye the shit out of the uprights and cross bars so I can pin in supports to cross brace all that shit for the real stupid stuff.

I wound up just building it with no extra supports whatsoever. I'll get pics this Sunday. Maybe.

I'm gonna build a couple foot tall bolt on rider for the middle of the big beam to run a chain and turnbuckle over (like the flat stock top strap on an engine hoist) and pad eye the shit out of the uprights and cross bars so I can pin in supports to cross brace all that shit for the real stupid stuff.
Oh hey dude :beer:

Where dafook ya been? :flipoff2: :laughing:

Why does it NEED that much stickout? What load needs that?

If it's for loading logs, can't you just pick up one end and get it on the deck, then do a second pick and lift/slide the rest on. (exactly like how those "log arch" trailers are used)

Why does it NEED that much stickout? What load needs that?
16ft log on a 14ft trailer.

Or a fuckin car that isn't in a state where it can be rolled up a ramp. :laughing:
If it's for loading logs, can't you just pick up one end and get it on the deck, then do a second pick and lift/slide the rest on. (exactly like how those "log arch" trailers are used)
Yeah I can. But the beams were 12ft long so 10ft of stick-out it was the easy thing to do.

I don't truly need it but if I can make it not destroy itself it'll be real nice to have.

Or a fuckin car that isn't in a state where it can be rolled up a ramp. :laughing:

Yeah I can. But the beams were 12ft long so 10ft of stick-out it was the easy thing to do.

I don't truly need it but if I can make it not destroy itself it'll be real nice to have.
Trailer! :laughing:

Better use a pintle hitch or hammerblow coupler.

Had a woman ask me to look at a pistol that had been her grandfathers and was recovered from a flooded safe.
It was a G3 G17 with a ser. # of 007. Just kinda cool.
Turns out I still had enough parts to replace everything in it, including a new barrel. I ran a chamber reamer in the org. to clean it up (it was crusty and wouldn't take a round) told her to just set the original parts aside in a jar of oil and keep them.

I just remembered, our trainer wags when empty :homer:.

Notice the right rear tire is leaning in pretty good at the top on my dump trailer. I bought this new in spring '22. Thinking damn I need to check the bearings on this when I get time. Well yesterday after work I get time. jack up that tire and grab the tire and shake it, expecting it to wiggle. uh nope. maybe 1/8" wiggle. oh shit. there is about a finger's width between the inside of the tire and the inner fender/dump box. go around to the other side and there's 2-3" room. dammit! I crawl under it and start looking and it appears I have bent it from the spring pack to the hub. Well fuck!
So today I am going to the local trailer supply to pick up an axle and swap it out. I checked local and Etrailer.com and it's only $2 more to get local.

brb strarting another thread
I've been meaning to start one about shitty car tires one for a long time. I figure I'll shit this one up instead. I'm quoting you because you're one of the experts on the subject. :flipoff2:

You got any tips on how to make "normal" aspect ratio P-metrics live a long life. Despite weighing 1k less than the cars they come stock on my shit is tearing up 205/55/16s. It didn't go through tires at near the same speed with the 185/75/14s. They don't wear that much faster, what they do is start having tread bubbles way before the baldness level at which the 14s would start doing that.

I run the same assortment of used tires and Amazon specials (I've literally bought the same Fullway tire in both sizes) so that's unchanged.

I go through about four tires a year now instead of four tires per 2yr. Commute is unchanged. Usage is unchanged. Cruise speed is in the 60s these days instead of the 80s before so that's not a factor.

The only thing I can think of is that since I slide through an average of four ramps per day I'm simply beating them harder because the lower sidewall tire has more force on it because the taller sidewall 14 would have been slipping by that point.

All my problems before and after the tire change are on the driver's side which makes sense since those are the ones that bear the brunt of the cornering.

Pressure is 30-40 front and 40-50 rear, once again no change from the 14s.

As much as I hate the lower profile tires for being temperamental they've all but eliminated sway when loaded and added 3mph to my fastest speed around my "home" on-ramp. :laughing:

So what the fuck am I doing wrong here? (besides drifting two on-ramps a day) Women in 4000lb Outbacks can get these tires to live a decent life, why can't I?

45acp

Washine machine decided to bust apart the child proof door lock so would go into error mode and not spin.
$90 + shipping and at least week or bypass the stupid thing for free.

Took me a minute to figure how how it worked buy now back to removing shid marks from pabts.

Top Back Refresh