What's new

Useless things about your day!

I'm building a crane basically like pictured. Verticals are 4" x 1/4 square tube because it's what I had. The I beam is 4" x 13# and sticks out ~10ft past the rear most support. I might reduce it to 9ft or 8ft, certainly not less than 7ft. past the rear most support. I feel like I need something so that it doesn't fuck right off with the slightest side load.

What should I make the orange MS paint lines out of?

Is 2" sch40 enough? 3" sch40 seems like overkill. Maybe 2.5" sch40? Any serious benefit to going square instead of round?

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 7.48.10 PM.png

I'm building a crane basically like pictured. Verticals are 4" x 1/4 square tube because it's what I had. The I beam is 4" x 13# and sticks out ~10ft past the rear most support. I might reduce it to 9ft or 8ft, certainly not less than 7ft. past the rear most support. I feel like I need something so that it doesn't fuck right off with the slightest side load.

What should I make the orange MS paint lines out of?

Is 2" sch40 enough? 3" sch40 seems like overkill. Maybe 2.5" sch40? Any serious benefit to going square instead of round?

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 7.48.10 PM.png

Seems like the well driller dude has that setup on a trailer

I really don't think that 2" sch 40 is going to be doing much at that length and angle.

I really don't think that 2" sch 40 is going to be doing much at that length and angle.
You think I need to go all the way to 3" (nominal) or is 2.5" fine? I'm more concerned about side loads from picking shit that isn't right under the beam is a couple feet to the side of the trailer than I am about bending loads. I can (and probably will) throw a big fuckin truss over the top to improve the resistance to bending. However stupid you are with yours probably double that for me. :laughing:

Last edited:
You think I need to go all the way to 3" (nominal) or is 2.5" fine? I'm more concerned about side loads from picking shit that isn't right under the beam is a couple feet to the side of the trailer than I am about bending loads. I can (and probably will) throw a big fuckin truss over the top to improve the resistance to bending. However stupid you are with yours probably double that for me. :laughing:
I think this would be better to prevent deflection from side loading.
1725927850868.png

I think this would be better to prevent deflection from side loading.
1725927850868.png
I could do that pretty easily but I think it would just transfer more force into the uprights. I'm not particularly worried about folding them over or tearing them out of their pockets in the deck but I think having something run from the tip of the beam down to near the mounts would be better, no?

Edit: I do like that that doesn't get in the way of cargo though. But maybe that's a bad thing because it enables more stupidity. :laughing:

A w4x13 will fuck right off with the smallest of side load. Your idea will work but be in the way far to often.

The one pictured with the bracing above is better.

Better than all that is a beam under beam so it can telescope out as needed.
1000003071.jpg

Need a more substantial beam though.

A w4x13 will fuck right off with the smallest of side load. Your idea will work but be in the way far to often.

The one pictured with the bracing above is better.

Better than all that is a beam under beam so it can telescope out as needed.
1000003071.jpg

Need a more substantial beam though.
bottom travelling beam made outta square tube
three padeyes on it so if you gotta honk something right up against the front then you still can with entirely too much effort

or just ditch the idea of side-loading I beams

Edit: I do like that that doesn't get in the way of cargo though. But maybe that's a bad thing because it enables more stupidity. :laughing:
I Think a trolley on the top of the I beam with out riggers from it coming down at an angle as wide as the truck and contacting the ground would be a good idea the bottom 6'~ would be removable & adjustable while the top would ride the trolley back to the truck and attach to it for storage. Or maybe I'm over thinking it:homer:.

Making the kids lunch today.

I realized just today that Spaghetti-o's are made by Campbells. My entire life I have called them "Chef Boyardee Spaghetti-os".

I ate them a lot when we were teenagers in Newport, RI. After work we used to go to cliff walk and head down 40 steps, drink a 40, smoke a blunt and eat cold cans of spaghetti-o's.

Top Back Refresh