What's new

Useless things about your day!

I'm open to other industries, I've applied for millwright jobs here and there when they pop up in locations I'd like to live in but the last couple I've applied wanted to put me in an equipment or truck repair position
Unfortunately the location sucks but everywhere I work at asks me if I have any good guys wanting a job. They are fairly easy entry jobs for mechanical type people. Swap gearboxes, troubleshooting electric stuff, hydraulics, pneumatics, plc stuff, general repairs.

Went to a lawyer's office 2 doors down, WTF?
IMG_20220824_094032729_HDR.jpg
Where dis?

While looking at stuff on stonehendge, the kid asks about druids. then move on to reading stuff about druids with him.

4,000 years ago, old things, and the like.

kid: "what if you had a time machine and could go way back in time, to like 1992!, and convince everybody you were a druid. Then you could come back and be super rich!"

:laughing: fucker. 1992 wasn't so long ago :rasta:

A few days ago I was digging in a box (I'm still slowly unpacking.. ish) and found 2 packs of brand new gloves.
Was like Christmas and 10 birthdays rolled into one.

I put one pack in my luggage to bring north to work and the other pack in a "good spot" so I could find them.
Where this spot is, I have not a clue.
My dads “safe” spots for stuff were never found again. When I was helping him build his cobra kit car, he would hold something up and say “I’m putting this in a safe spot” I would watch where he put it and move it when he walk away because otherwise it wouldn’t be found

Last edited:
Finally got the project truck half ass together, good enough for a road trip.

Had a quarter tank, fuel gauge was working. Put 25 gallons in it, jump in the truck, gauge is buried past E, :mad3:.

I figure another $1500 and I'll have all the bugs we worked out.

You need a fuel guage?

From the firepit thread, I didn't know where I could find or what the hell a crushing cone is.

Texted a buddy that's the lead mechanic for a quarry.

Yea, call [name]. There should be a stack of them on the pile. Two sizes. Drive down and see which one would work best.

neat.

So I went back to my previous company I was leased to. Basically threw 5mo down the drain, beat my truck and make absolutely zero money for all my headaches.

Right now the $ isn't there on the open market. Direct contract freight is what's going to pay the bills for now. It sucks, but its what I have to do. I have never been a guy that can settle for good enough. The mon-fri routine kills me. I want to hustle, put in the work and make $$, but it never seems to work for me like that.

I have always had a hard time seeing the big picture and planning for the future.

I have always had a hard time seeing the big picture and planning for the future.
Something many of us struggle with.

I was listening to Dave Ramsey 15 years ago and he said something that stuck with me: “I’ve been broke many times in my life, but I’ve never been ’poor’. Broke is a state you’re IN, poor is a state of mind”. No matter how much or little money you have, some people will always have a poor mindset. He encapsulated it with this phrase we’ve all heard a version of: ”They’re always holding the little man down, little man can’t get ahead, the big man’s got his foot holding the little man down”. What’s funny about this is the politicians and rich folks who spout this kind of rhetoric are holding’the little man’ down by keeping him believing this shit. My family, I, and many people I grew up with have/had a poor mindset. I’m not accusing you of anything, I know I still have it and fight it every day. I can’t say that my situation has changed a lot, but my attitude is better. Many successful people fail dozens of times before they are an overnight success. Hope this helps a little.

Just got done making breakfast for the family. French toast in a cast skillet. Had a cast pan for only the last couple of years, wish someone would have told me they weren’t as much work as everyone thought to maintain, wasted a lot of years with shitty non-stick pans.
I just did breakfast on a Blackstone:smokin:. Everything tastes better cooked in bacon grease:lmao:

4D749442-C76D-4CC9-BADA-676C10F527AF.jpeg
D9CC01C0-3307-4EF6-94A8-972605C73A27.jpeg

From the firepit thread, I didn't know where I could find or what the hell a crushing cone is.

Texted a buddy that's the lead mechanic for a quarry.

Yea, call [name]. There should be a stack of them on the pile. Two sizes. Drive down and see which one would work best.

neat.
For the price of free? Wow jump on that right quick, they are available here but $$$. I actually hauled a few loads of them out of a mine to the recycler a few years back, they counted them as they loaded them and unloaded them too, I always thought that they were made of something valuable for being the reason.

For the price of free? Wow jump on that right quick, they are available here but $$$. I actually hauled a few loads of them out of a mine to the recycler a few years back, they counted them as they loaded them and unloaded them too, I always thought that they were made of something valuable for being the reason.
Man $200 is the best I can get out of my used ones. I buy each half for 5-6000 new :lmao:.

They are pretty much worthless to the scrap guys because of the high manganese content. It’s hard to cut them up to get them to prepared steel.

Something many of us struggle with.

I was listening to Dave Ramsey 15 years ago and he said something that stuck with me: “I’ve been broke many times in my life, but I’ve never been ’poor’. Broke is a state you’re IN, poor is a state of mind”. No matter how much or little money you have, some people will always have a poor mindset. He encapsulated it with this phrase we’ve all heard a version of: ”They’re always holding the little man down, little man can’t get ahead, the big man’s got his foot holding the little man down”. What’s funny about this is the politicians and rich folks who spout this kind of rhetoric are holding’the little man’ down by keeping him believing this shit. My family, I, and many people I grew up with have/had a poor mindset. I’m not accusing you of anything, I know I still have it and fight it every day. I can’t say that my situation has changed a lot, but my attitude is better. Many successful people fail dozens of times before they are an overnight success. Hope this helps a little.

I've heard that before and couldn't remember where from.

I've never been poor. I have always had the tools to do whatever I want. There's just up and down. I didn't prepare well enough and right now I'm down. It is mentally exhausting though. Im constantly focused on how to get ahead, trying to figure out what I can do to make things easier for my family. Being the sole income provider has become really fucking hard this last year, especially being gone most days/weeks.

Man $200 is the best I can get out of my used ones. I buy each half for 5-6000 new :lmao:.

They are pretty much worthless to the scrap guys because of the high manganese content. It’s hard to cut them up to get them to prepared steel.
IIRC the cheapest I have seen was probably double that and I have seen some big ones in the 6-800 range. It might be the scrapper reselling them at that point or someone who is getting their hands on them either free or dirt cheap.

IIRC the cheapest I have seen was probably double that and I have seen some big ones in the 6-800 range. It might be the scrapper reselling them at that point or someone who is getting their hands on them either free or dirt cheap.
Mine are 54” or 60” in size

I was just driving by a landscaping place in Boise and they had a pile of them, apparently they are a big thing around here and they probably charge landscaper prices for them.

Power washed the outside of my house today as we are replacing screens and it overall looked like shit. Sprayed a spider about the size of my hand off my second story soffit, fucker made a thud when it hit the ground, then came sprinting after me. Hit the bastard a few times with the power washer knocking him back, but he kept on charging. I decided that was the time to go inside and get some water.

I'm going to call tomorrow and see. The text sort of sounded like free? But no idea. If its a couple hundred bucks, meh, fine.

In other news, I think today was the last day my wife and I go shopping together. I am sooooooo cheap. I always buy second hand stuff and fix the old stuff. Buy on sale. That sort of thing. We went into the city to grab kiddo a new outfit for his first day of school. Shirt, pants, and a new set of sneakers. I walked out of Old Navy muttering to myself after seeing kid's jeans for $25- $10 more than I the jeans I'm wearing. Shirts were all $30 each. Shit's expensive. :laughing:

Got him light up Paw Patrol shoes. I give it three days until the dog shuffles under the coffee table with them and chews them in half.

Did some more train chasing. First time 3 steam engines have been in Hillsdale together in 70 years. Little River Railroad 0-4-0 tank #1 not pictured (it was on the rear of 110's consist). It was the first time the family and I had ever seen Nickel Plate Road 765 in person.
IMG_20220828_150221843.jpg

IMG_20220828_140414170.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-213608.png

I'm convinced I was born in the wrong timeframe.

Last edited:
In other news, I think today was the last day my wife and I go shopping together. I am sooooooo cheap. I always buy second hand stuff and fix the old stuff. Buy on sale. That sort of thing. We went into the city to grab kiddo a new outfit for his first day of school. Shirt, pants, and a new set of sneakers. I walked out of Old Navy muttering to myself after seeing kid's jeans for $25- $10 more than I the jeans I'm wearing. Shirts were all $30 each. Shit's expensive. :laughing:

Got him light up Paw Patrol shoes. I give it three days until the dog shuffles under the coffee table with them and chews them in half.

Old Navy is yuppie brand shit :flipoff2:

Did some more train chasing. First time 3 steam engines have been in Hillsdale together in 70 years. Little River Railroad 0-4-0 tank #1 not pictured (it was on the rear of 110's consist). It was the first time the family and I had ever seen Nickel Plate Road 765 in person.
IMG_20220828_150221843.jpg

IMG_20220828_140414170.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-213608.png

I'm convinced I was born in the wrong timeframe.
My wife is from Hillsdale. This is the first summer we haven’t been back to visit family. Weather looks nice!

I miss my little girl being "little". My wife used to make money on her clothes. Or at least break even.

From baby to about 4 she wore this Rick Rack and Ruffles shit. Kinda nice, smedium- priced baby/toddler clothes. I guess it's all limited stuff and these chicks follow it all online. Buy a new outfit for $50, let the kid wear it until they outgrow it, put back up for sale in group and get $80 for it, with these bitches fighting over the stuff in a bidding war.

Wife would routinely dig out a pile of clothes she payed $400-500 new, and in a few days have $700.

Top Back Refresh