What's new

Useless things about your day!

anyways thread related in my own life and rather than others'

I finally understand my neighbor's penchant for having an uninsulated house and shop then burning 10-20 cords of wood every winter
spent two days digging out and bagging squirrel chewed fiberglass contained behind XPS foam board
fuck shit fuck shit fuck shit

Because I'm my own brand of retarded, I'm imagining all the money spent on the foil-backed fiberglass and the 1" xps, wondering if it ever broke even with the energy savings

4wd spindle and spindle nut? use an outer race for your slip fit foot
I was thinking spindle nut but couldn't come up with a way to get the needed length. The spindle nut got me thinking though...

What if I welded an inner race to one side of the nut and a stub of pipe to the other. The race would give me engagement with the OD of the spindle for anti-slop and the me some empty space for the threads to project into. But that requires four spindles I DGAF about which probably won't happen.

Maybe four old truck screw jacks. But those are tall as fuck which is something I'm trying to get away from.

Can anyone think of a source of a big fine thread nut and matching male thread? Something on the order of a differential side adjuster.

I'm trying to make leveling feet for something so it needs to be fine.

If your willing to wait until we do mill grates again (fall) I'll send you some 1-1/4 shit. If you give up on fine thread I have a shit load of 1-1/2" rod I'm about to turn into scrap.

I don't know what you are planning on supporting with feet that big but it's overkill by several magnitudes.

Why not just a flat plate foot of 1/2” thickness with 3-4 3/8” fine thread set screws tapped per foot and a plate below it? The bottom plate can be loose or with a loose fitting dowel in the center to capture. De rigueur for precision set industrial equipment.

Last edited:
I was thinking spindle nut but couldn't come up with a way to get the needed length. The spindle nut got me thinking though...

What if I welded an inner race to one side of the nut and a stub of pipe to the other. The race would give me engagement with the OD of the spindle for anti-slop and the me some empty space for the threads to project into. But that requires four spindles I DGAF about which probably won't happen.

Maybe four old truck screw jacks. But those are tall as fuck which is something I'm trying to get away from.
https://www.usarollerchain.com/n00-series-inch-lock-nuts-s/4347.htm
and some pipe
and enough fucking balls to learn how to single point threads
you fucking pussy :flipoff2:

oh and fix your garbage, a lathe that can't thread is a lathe that is fucking broken

they're just stainless steel, basically valueless
copper pennies is the one that you can still get value out of
you sort them through inductive magnetic wizardry, roll them past a magnet and the copper ones slow down a lot more than the zinc ones, place a couple buckets on the ground past your apparatus and the copper ones fall closer to the magnets
From what I've read they are 75% copper 25% nickle.

Vintage 1982. pretty cool. prob last/only time these bearings were greased.
1713496365728.png
1713496376567.png

78 bearings freed up, douched and re-packed. :smokin:
1713499443553.png

Should be good to go for another 42 years.:grinpimp::beer:

Last edited:
Why not just a flat plate foot of 1/2” thickness with 3-4 3/8” fine thread set screws tapped per foot and a plate below it? The bottom plate can be loose or with a loose fitting dowel in the center to capture.
That's actually a really good suggestion because of how low profile it is. 3-screws to ensure even weight distribution on the . 12mm is very readily available in extra-fine and the nuts you'll need to lock it are cheap.
De rigueur for precision set industrial equipment.
I've never seen anything like that. Always either shims, threaded feet or the expensive sliding wedge things.

If your willing to wait until we do mill grates again (fall) I'll send you some 1-1/4 shit. If you give up on fine thread I have a shit load of 1-1/2" rod I'm about to turn into scrap.

I don't know what you are planning on supporting with feet that big but it's overkill by several magnitudes.
I think I'm gonna go with Iowa's suggestion on this one but I might hit you up this fall if I get a replacement for the Cincinnati in that time. :laughing:

How about something like a coilover body?

Why the large diameter?
Large diameter just seemed right for the size of machinery it's gonna be supporting. :homer:

https://www.usarollerchain.com/n00-series-inch-lock-nuts-s/4347.htm
and some pipe
and enough fucking balls to learn how to single point threads
you fucking pussy :flipoff2:

oh and fix your garbage, a lathe that can't thread is a lathe that is fucking broken
I'll get there eventually when I'm forced to learn for some project for which that's the right tool for the job.

anyways thread related in my own life and rather than others'

I finally understand my neighbor's penchant for having an uninsulated house and shop then burning 10-20 cords of wood every winter
spent two days digging out and bagging squirrel chewed fiberglass contained behind XPS foam board
fuck shit fuck shit fuck shit

The solution to that is sprayed foam or cellulose or rock wool

I've never seen anything like that. Always either shims, threaded feet or the expensive sliding wedge things.
I suppose the industrial spaces I've been in have always had a mix of solutions, but the one I described I've both build for equipment myself and seen versions of on both old and newer equipment. The auto load lathes I ran that handled 12-20' bar stock had something similar under both the lathe and the bar feeder.

The solution to that is sprayed foam or cellulose or rock wool
I was looking at the mess of fiberglass and animal shit, thinking maybe I could jam all of it from the 20 or so stud cavities into only a few of them, "dense pack fiberglass" I believe I've heard it called.

The outside sheeting is tongue and groove barn siding with light showing through everywhere, so I'd need to line the inside of that with some of the miles of crappy luan paneling plywood they loved tacking up layer upon layer (or tar paper), then sheet the inside with some 3/4 ply I've got banging around

but then surely it'd still attract water and then rot out the wall its in, but I wouldn't need to haul it down to the cities and abuse the far too small garbage dumpster where I occasionally work.

I'm losing my admiration for the sprayfoam, with the more water intrusion that I see anywhere and everywhere

With how you've gutted that house "blown in" is more like "pour in". That's the route I'd take.

Top Back Refresh