What's new

Used UTVs

DuckTape

Member Number
I'm going to convert and am wondering if I should consider buying a used UTV or just buy new. From what I'm seeing, there isn't a huge gap in price, however, the used ones have $10K of accessories on them already. No doubt I'd fall into that category of upgrades so having them already there is desirable. The downside is I don't know the history of a used machine. Thoughts?

-DuckTape

Im in for used all day for the right price. I stumbled into my '16 defender HD10 DPS for $10k, 100hrs and 600 miles on it in april 2020. Its rock solid.

It depends....
Any "mud bog mods"?
"Insane tire size already?
Stupid PVC Intake snorkel?

Indicators that the thing was ran hard and put up (probably literally) wet...

Do you need to finance it?

If yes buy new, otherwise used.

Couple of groups I am in on FB you see practically new machines for sale because the buyer thought they could afford it but cannot.

No qualms with my used purchase.

X3 that had 1300 miles, but 150 hours already (slow poke in a fast car). Cage, seats, comms, 35s and more already.

I traded a few guns for my diesel Ranger.

Funny enough I got those guns from trades too. Traded a Miller Tig welder, which I got from trading a Summit 800 sled, which I got along with a Mustang for a Dodge truck.

DuckTape what kind of UTV are you looking for? That'd be a good starting point. There's a HUGE difference between say a kawasaki mule and a max effort can am x3 racecar.

If you wanna go fast then I would look into the Popo or Can Am turbo machines.. If you wanna crawl and trail ride then the KRX 1000 is right in the hunt. I have a couple buddies that converted from Popo to KRX for their trail rigs.. They love it other than the flat fuel tank. Apparently it's so flat that when it's 1/2 tank or so and in a off camber spot it will die.. lol Granted it was laid over about 20+ degrees.

If you wanna go fast then I would look into the Popo or Can Am turbo machines.. If you wanna crawl and trail ride then the KRX 1000 is right in the hunt. I have a couple buddies that converted from Popo to KRX for their trail rigs.. They love it other than the flat fuel tank. Apparently it's so flat that when it's 1/2 tank or so and in a off camber spot it will die.. lol Granted it was laid over about 20+ degrees.
And if you are looking to win races you buy a Honda Talon R. :smokin:

Well i know DuckTape IRL and he's a 'Yota guy and a crawler at heart so...

side note: friend of a friend bought a Talon R a couple years ago. Takes it to SMORR for the first trip out. few beers deep tries to take a pretty rough line at Larry's Hill. The night ended when he slammed it down on a pointed rock on the ledge and centerpunched the engine oil pan.. Thankfully he got it shut down in time and didn't do any engine damage.. :laughing: We drag it back to camp and he's done the rest of the trip. lol

That being said, I'm real impressed with the krx bonestock as a crawler. They're SLOW as hell compared to a turbo but they're really nice crawlers.

DuckTape what kind of UTV are you looking for? That'd be a good starting point. There's a HUGE difference between say a kawasaki mule and a max effort can am x3 racecar.
The first trip will be Moab in a few weeks. Otherwise, smorr, koh, dunes, and smorr will be frequented. I'm leaning towards the new XP pro.

The first trip will be Moab in a few weeks. Otherwise, smorr, koh, dunes, and smorr will be frequented. I'm leaning towards the new XP pro.
similar to what i ride. i have no experience with the pro model stuff.... but can am x3 is hands down better at everything from polaris prior to it. from xp1k, xp turbo, xp turbos ect... can am x3 is way better. i really haven't heard much about the pro models, but i doubt its much different. the only polaris left in our group is a turbo r with every option. the x3 turbo r 64" i run cost me $10k less and runs circles around it, while having less problems and breakdowns. ymmv

we are also very hard on our machines. if your going easier probably wont matter as much.

similar to what i ride. i have no experience with the pro model stuff.... but can am x3 is hands down better at everything from polaris prior to it. from xp1k, xp turbo, xp turbos ect... can am x3 is way better. i really haven't heard much about the pro models, but i doubt its much different. the only polaris left in our group is a turbo r with every option. the x3 turbo r 64" i run cost me $10k less and runs circles around it, while having less problems and breakdowns. ymmv

we are also very hard on our machines. if your going easier probably wont matter as much.
Thanks. I'm looking at used x3's now also. I probably won't run as hard as your group but it's good to hear your experience.

Do you need to finance it?

If yes buy new, otherwise used.

Couple of groups I am in on FB you see practically new machines for sale because the buyer thought they could afford it but cannot.
Thanks for the input, financing won't play into it for me. :smokin:

Thanks. I'm looking at used x3's now also. I probably won't run as hard as your group but it's good to hear your experience.
Turbo in general is my advice. Creates a different option compared to a crawler.

Buddy has an X3 that I drove back when it was base mode. It’s grown a lot since then. He’s gotten to drive a variety of machines from his riding circle and doesn’t want anything but the X3. Full race mode for him.

I prefer the seating position and slightly longer setup in the 2 seater. I don’t go as hard as him or tracyb im guessing, but way quicker than I would in my crawler.

SxS has been in discussions for us for years, but after the move from Phoenix; now we can rip straight from the house and get some riding in whenever.

That being said, I'm real impressed with the krx bonestock as a crawler. They're SLOW as hell compared to a turbo but they're really nice crawlers.
Just swapped from a ‘15 RZR to a new KRX. Fully agree. I really wish it wasn’t so loud, though.

my two friends that have KRX put 35s on them stock with no other mods that I know of. They both say the engine braking is very good.

you said SMORR twice.. I like SMORR. /end Blazing Saddles voice.. :laughing::laughing:

Top Back Refresh