What's new

Used R&P Gear Setup

Brecklin

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Appleton WI
What do you guys usually look for when setting up a ring and pinion that have seen past service? It seems hard to get a decent pattern (specifically with backlash) even though backlash is set to spec.

The gears are used Yukon 5.29s. They were in the front of my old truck probably 10 years ago. I don't remember anything being wrong when I took them out but the inner pinion bearing was smoked so I decided to replace that before sticking it in the front of my Sami. I'm having a difficult time getting any kind of a pattern on the coast side. The drive side is not the greatest, but I'm thinking that's close to the best I'm going to get it. I'm not sure what to adjust to get a better pattern out of the coast side though.

Do you guys think my setup is just that far off or is this just what happens when trying to set up used gears?

Screenshot_20210417-224849_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-224824_Gallery.jpg

Looks to me the pinion is too deep and the BL is too tight. What’s the BL at currently? Drive side ain’t terrible.

Was the pinion bearing you installed exactly the same as the one you took out? I agree with Byro, the depth looks way off.

Don`t know about the backlash being that far off but the pinion depth is WAY off, like i`d add at least .030 to the shim stack and recheck off.

I should have mentioned, I put the gears into a different housing.

I'm at .007 for backlash

If I go any deeper with the pinion it's going to make contact with the carrier.

That sounds real tight for a used set of gears? did you not write down what they were at in the old housing?

I`d get the pinion depth set somewhere reasonable then see where the backlash is at.

Thanks for your help guys.

I dicked with it for quite a while. I couldnt get the pattern to change, at all. I went deep enough to where the pinion was almost hitting the carrier, and also took all the shims out. Went overly loose on the backlash to having almost no backlash. The pattern was the same regardless what I did. I ended up setting it up the best I could and am going to keep it as a spare, and I'm going to pick up a high pinion unit with a Grizzly. It could use a high pinion to help the shaft angle and the Grizzly will be nice compared to the welded carrier I've been running (front application.)

Thanks again guys.

Thanks for your help guys.

I dicked with it for quite a while. I couldnt get the pattern to change, at all. I went deep enough to where the pinion was almost hitting the carrier, and also took all the shims out. Went overly loose on the backlash to having almost no backlash. The pattern was the same regardless what I did. I ended up setting it up the best I could and am going to keep it as a spare, and I'm going to pick up a high pinion unit with a Grizzly. It could use a high pinion to help the shaft angle and the Grizzly will be nice compared to the welded carrier I've been running (front application.)

Thanks again guys.

I think you're going the wrong way...

Top Back Refresh