What's new

Used oil mixed with fuel oil

sdmuleman

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Upper Marlboro, MD
House has a fuel oil fired boiler in addition to the woodstove. Am I going to regret trying to mix some waste oil in with the diesel tank? Does it mix if you just pour it in?

For some reason I can't find solid info on this. Lots of posts about how the world will end if you try to burn straight wmo, but haven't seen anything about mixing it. Seems like it should mix, and I have hard time seeing how 10-20% WMO would make any real difference in combustion. Probably not great for the filter or nozzle, but those are super cheap to replace.

Would be nice to get rid of the buckets of oil I have sitting around and get something useful out of them. Don't have enough to be worth buying a real waste oil heater.

On the flip side, I also don't really want to contamination 200 gal of diesel and then find out it doesn't work well.

Interesting.. I too burn fuel oil (off road diesel) in my heater furnace.. not a boiler tho. My current fleet doesn’t generate much WMO, but would be good to know.

:eek:
Details on what you got???
Injection systems LOVE wase oil...

I couldn't get ATF to burn right when it was just the normal pressure nozzle rather than the fancy compressed air siphon nozzle, I wanna say I tried up to half and half, but it was just a burner in open air rather than in a firebox

others swear that 50:50 oil and #2 runs fine

Imagine that under 10% you couldn't tell a difference...
I do know from fuelling the car that the cold oil likes to sit at the bottom of the tank and get picked up in a slug, so diluting it somewhat before dumping it in would be advisable

Plan on cleaning the nozzle and firebox more often.

There's an outfit that makes kits to burn oil in diesel boilers and furnaces. I have one for a boiler.

I ran 50/50 #2 & wmo for years in an old trailer house forced air furnace. Regular beckett burner.

Dumped 5 gallons of kerosene in too.

It ran okay. I didn't want to light when it was cold. I had to open up the electrode and pre heat with a heat gun for a couple minutes. Once it lit it would run all day.

It kept my garage plenty warm.

Whatever you do, filter it!

I'd be more interested in making an oil dripper for a garage woodstove than potentially fucking up the house boiler.
So you can burn your house down? Waste oil drippers are one of those things that unless you are paying attention to it 100% of the time they can and will get away from you and burn the place down.

Heating needs to be done with something that doesn’t need a lot of attention. Way too easy to forget about it and it runs away.

So you can burn your house down? Waste oil drippers are one of those things that unless you are paying attention to it 100% of the time they can and will get away from you and burn the place down.

Heating needs to be done with something that doesn’t need a lot of attention. Way too easy to forget about it and it runs away.
I guess you missed where I said garage? I agree that its something that you need to tend to. I also didn't say get greedy with it so that it runs away.

I guess you missed where I said garage? I agree that its something that you need to tend to. I also didn't say get greedy with it so that it runs away.
You don’t get greedy that’s why they are dangerous. Shops cold so oil is cold crank it open to get the right amount of oil to come out. Oil warms up while you are swearing away at a stuck bolt, or while you run into the house to take a shit. You come back out and the whole pail is in the stove and it’s glowing red.

I few shops in my area have burnt to the ground because of oil drippers. I’m just giving you a heads up. It’s up to you if you head my warning or not. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh