What's new

USC to remove John Wayne exhibit over racist comments made decades ago

Paragon

Member #42 if by Bus
Member Number
Loc
Jackson, MS USA
USC’s School of Cinematic Arts will remove an exhibit dedicated to John Wayne after students called for its removal last year because of racist comments the late actor made in a 1971 Playboy magazine interview, the school announced Friday.

In December, the school said it would not remove the exhibit and instead create a space exploring the American West, according the Daily Trojan. A few months before, students protested the Wayne exhibit, stating that by keeping it, the school was “endorsing white supremacy.” Wayne attended USC in the late 1920s, where he played football.

In December, the school said it would not remove the exhibit and instead create a space exploring the American West.

Blazing Saddles on a loop?

In December, the school said it would not remove the exhibit and instead create a space exploring the American West.

Blazing Saddles on a loop?

Would get my vote.

Shit, John Wayne may be the most non-racist MF'r ever, (Behind Trump of course), he played Ghengis Kahn in yellow face. See? He loved everyone.

Who cares, John Wayne said a lot of dumb shit just like most other people...I mean is he really a hero?

watching the Danny Trejo Inmate #1 and he names john Wayne as one of his idols as a kid. should be interesting to see if he backs away from that

What’s the point of that question? Why not pull another one out of your ass like, “Is he really John Wayne?”

The point is he was an actor.He played hero's but was not one in real life. He doesn't deserve a statue any more than Mel Brooks......I do agree pulling down his statue is stupid

The point is he was an actor.He played hero's but was not one in real life. He doesn't deserve a statue any more than Mel Brooks......I do agree pulling down his statue is stupid

He went to USC dumbass. Has nothing to do with “hero”. :homer:

He went to USC dumbass. Has nothing to do with “hero”. :homer:

Yes,he played football for a few years.The statue was put up after he gained fame in Hollywood. Otherwise there would be no mention of Marion Morrison.You can be quite thick at times Mr Know it all...

Good point!!

John Wayne was a draft dodger himself but had strong words for others who didn't serve in WW2. Some actor :rolleyes:

He was 10 years old when the US entered WWI, and 35 years old when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.

He was born in 1907, Reagan was born in 1911, and he never served overseas.

Reagan was a 'Mail Order' Officer :laughing: Not saying one way or another, I just think it's funny, he did home-study courses through the mail, and they commissioned him an Offcer in the Army Reserves, which means when war broke out he was made active, Boom, now he's an officer 🤣

Anyway, Marion Morrision was too old to serve overseas or do much, even in WWII, at 35 years old.

Who cares, John Wayne said a lot of dumb shit just like most other people...I mean is he really a hero?

What did he say? Here are the comments posted in the article:

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility,” he said in the interview. “I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

He later said that although he didn’t condone slavery, “I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves.”

He also felt no remorse about the subjugation of Native Americans.

“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them,” he said. “There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

I basically feel the same way.

As for the Indians, we did a lot of people a service by wiping them out. What were the Indians going to do, fight Hirohito and Adolf Hitler? 🤣 Maybe they could have taken on the Soviet Union?

Look what John Wayne said:

“I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves.”

Me neither, John, me neither.

He was 10 years old when the US entered WWI, and 35 years old when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.

He was born in 1907, Reagan was born in 1911, and he never served overseas.

Reagan was a 'Mail Order' Officer :laughing: Not saying one way or another, I just think it's funny, he did home-study courses through the mail, and they commissioned him an Offcer in the Army Reserves, which means when war broke out he was made active, Boom, now he's an officer 🤣

Anyway, Marion Morrision was too old to serve overseas or do much, even in WWII, at 35 years old.

Draft age just before ww2 was 21 to 35, during the war it became 18 to 45. Wayne's draft situation is debatable and there's a bunch of mitigating factors. After the war Wayne said it was a mistake not to enter the military..Being a popular actor he would have been of more use making propaganda movies than on the front lines. Reagan reportedly was turned down for military service but was persistant and got a position as a reserve officer and then making propaganda movies. Many Hollywood actors were drafted or joined in saw combat. Even Mel Brooks was drafted and would up in a bomb/land mine disposable unit as the military advanced into Germany...

Yes,he played football for a few years.The statue was put up after he gained fame in Hollywood. Otherwise there would be no mention of Marion Morrison.You can be quite thick at times Mr Know it all...

USC’s School of Cinematic Arts

Are you a special kind of stupid? YOU said “hero”, no one else did. It’s a statue because he was an actor at CINEMATIC ARTS. < that’s acting shit

My grandfather was drafted at 35 and sent to the Pacific. Later in the war they dug deep into the draft roles to get enough bodies to throw at the war. He could have served.

That doesn't change my opinion of him as an actor.

Draft age just before ww2 was 21 to 35, during the war it became 18 to 45. Wayne's draft situation is debatable and there's a bunch of mitigating factors. After the war Wayne said it was a mistake not to enter the military..Being a popular actor he would have been of more use making propaganda movies than on the front lines. Reagan reportedly was turned down for military service but was persistant and got a position as a reserve officer and then making propaganda movies. Many Hollywood actors were drafted or joined in saw combat. Even Mel Brooks was drafted and would up in a bomb/land mine disposable unit as the military advanced into Germany...

TL;DR

Not everyone is Jimmy Stewart dude, not even me. I'd LIKE to think I'd be Jimmy Stewart, but anyone that says for-sure they would do the same is an unwise liar.

20 Combat MIssions over Europe in the 8th Air Force. That ain't no joke, and not a fair measure for anyone else.

Top Back Refresh