What's new

Update on PBB thead on 32" Monitors...

Johann

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Triangle area NC
Here is the original thread. https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/sp...#post-44932158

BUUTTTT not the way I wanted to update it. Broke the screen today. Grrr. My fault. First lesson is stay away from ElTab dual monitor stands. Stiff as hell and the clamp eventually walked off the edge of my desk because of it. Second is make sure your track ball is not beneath it when you try to save it. The glass on these things is thin. Sigh. Fawking pissed at myself.

For those that have experience with these things I assume it is not worth replacing parts in a $250 monitor? I did like the thing. I'll buy another but right now they are out of stock. I'll live with it till I can find another. Even broken the screen is bigger than anything else I have to work with.

The curved screen did take some getting used to but it was much better on glare since it was not a flat plane.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200603_114021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	26297

So when going to something as big as 32" whats the advantage over using a oled/led tv? Is it just the refresh rate and delay? Honestly curious.

That sucks. Time to brake out the welder and fab up a safer stand. I am sure more triangulation is needed. :flipoff2:

I should have just drilled the desk and runs some screws. I had it cranked tight. Just walked slowly until it flopped over. .

So when going to something as big as 32" whats the advantage over using a oled/led tv? Is it just the refresh rate and delay? Honestly curious.

I don't fully understand it but yes there is a difference in sharpness and clarity helps with eye strain. Though it made a great TV too. :frown:

I don't fully understand it but yes there is a difference in sharpness and clarity helps with eye strain. Though it made a great TV too. :frown:

Gotcha. I want to swap to a multi monitor setup in the future, currently just using the 55"tv but would like to add at least another TV and maybe a monitor for dedicated search/general internet fuckery

Found a referb on Amazon. Fawk it, just ordered it. Everyone else was backordered. Every time I look at his one it going to piss me off so once the other one comes this will be in the dumpster.

Now to fix the mount...

Looks like an odd aspect ratio, what was it? Looks wider than 16:9, but not quite ultrawide?

I moved over to a 34" 21:9 IPS panel last November, don't think I could ever go back to a 16:9 again. I've got a nice 24" TN panel on a shelf above the desk, and being able to see the two at the same time, I don't know how I ever used the 24" as my main monitor.

As for the TV thing, TVs dont process in real time like monitors do. They upscale everything from render resolution to refresh rate. Picture quality usually isn't as good as what you'll get out of a monitor, though there's a handful of TVs on the market that do well on a PC, but they're usually not cost effective vs a monitor.

Last edited:
For those that have experience with these things I assume it is not worth replacing parts in a $250 monitor?
Depends on the part, power button? Yes. Display panel, not so much. A new panel will typically cost ~80% of the original price.

I've got 3 32's and I didn't go with a mount. I just built an 8' x 3' desk and have plenty of room for them to spread out in front of me

That is cool!

I like having the actual desk surface as free as possible for paper docs and other desktop stuff while looking forward at the monitors rather than down. That helps my neck strain immensely. I look down at stuff all day and night. The stand on this was pretty short. I would have had to jack it up- mount or no mount.

Looks like an odd aspect ratio, what was it? Looks wider than 16:9, but not quite ultrawide?

I moved over to a 34" 21:9 IPS panel last November, don't think I could ever go back to a 16:9 again. I've got a nice 24" TN panel on a shelf above the desk, and being able to see the two at the same time, I don't know how I ever used the 24" as my main monitor.

As for the TV thing, TVs dont process in real time like monitors do. They upscale everything from render resolution to refresh rate. Picture quality usually isn't as good as what you'll get out of a monitor, though there's a handful of TVs on the market that do well on a PC, but they're usually not cost effective vs a monitor.

It is 31.5 29x9. I like the width. I don't think I would use any more height effectively as I have it set up. It is useful for two word docs next to each other or a large CAD drafting board.

Depends on the part, power button? Yes. Display panel, not so much. A new panel will typically cost ~80% of the original price.

Got it. figured as much. Not going there then. The damaged one may become a shop monitor if the rest of the display holds out. The crack and image loss is confined to the far right 1/5th of the screen except for a couple grey horizontal lines. Cant even really see them on IBB. :grinpimp:

Thanks! 🍻

Top Back Refresh