What's new

Unloader valve for DC air compressor?

Chief Rocka

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
East Coast
When I swapped the air pressure control switch for an air pressure switch on a Puma PD-1006 12v DC air compressor, I neglected to install an unloader valve. This mistake contributed to killing the compressor. Replacement compressor is ordered but I'm not sure what unloader it needs. I think it nees to be installed in the 1/8 NPT on the check valve, but I'm sure. Is anyone able to help me out? Thanks

orig:
View attachment 377528

vs current:

View attachment 377525

I just smoked my 15 year old truck compressor, broke a line and it ran 4 hrs while I drove to the river, pulled off at a rest stop and heard it, so shut it down, when I went to restart it, the thing ran for about a min built up pressure and let out the magic smoke, popping a 50 amp relay.

Why not just use the correct diaphragm switch triggering a relay.
I am not aware of a unloader that won't require a pilot line.
The orig diaphram switch got killed by, what I assume was, the dirty environment of an open-top rig. I went thru 2 and then changed to the air pressure switch. Air pressure switch seemed simpler at the time. Both setups were wired to a Cole Hersee (24059-BP) Solenoid.

Re the D series unloader ports that you linked, are my understanding of these connections correct?
-unloader inlet connects at the check valve (red circle in pic below)
-unloader outlet vents to atmosphere
-Signal inlet connects to the air pressure switch

View attachment 377553

Something is off on my end. The images are corrupted. I'm seeing a semi truck, a meme, and bio for a hockey player!
New Irate.com got the rona? 😁

Cool. What was the image you intended to post?

I spoke to Conrader, they suggested a seal/explosion-proof switch. Those types of switches are $$$, more than a complete Puma setup!

What do you think about putting a pilot unloader in the existing check valve tee spot? Was thinking about this one from Amzn.

There is a banner at the top of the page that says hold on its fubar.
I'll get the link again share it here with out the https at the front.

://www.sviinternational.com/product/conrader-d-series-discharge-unloader-valves/

I think I got it sorted! Used a combo check/unloader valve called a "Load Genie". Found info on a train horn forum.

1620064318656.png

Top Back Refresh