What's new

Unique or odd 4x4 builds that dont seem hack.

slowlygettingthere

Member Number
Loc
cousinfuckingbama
Seen this while picking up my pizza the other day. Seemed to be built decent from what I could tell on my slow pass by. No huge hanger drop brackets or hacked up steering.
thumbnail (9).jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail (9).jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	38458

i hate how tall most car conversions end up being. that thing would be so much more dope about 6" lower and some fender trim work.

i hate how tall most car conversions end up being. that thing would be so much more dope about 6" lower and some fender trim work.

6" lower and hed be trimming the rear doors/body structure to fit the tires. Looks like they trimmed as much as possible without getting stupid. Not everything is built to be a LCG rock crawler.

Looks decent to me.

There use to be a sweet looking '61 Ford Ranchero in town with a 9" rear and D44 front and 33's. No hack work.

It was well proportioned in looks as well as functional....

6" lower and hed be trimming the rear doors/body structure to fit the tires. Looks like they trimmed as much as possible without getting stupid. Not everything is built to be a LCG rock crawler.

Looks decent to me.

yeah leaf springs and solid axles are a pain to get the body dropped on, but compare the look of it to the look of the IFS trophy ltd above.

Trophy LTD was built with a purpose in mind. I'd say the other one was built with the intention of having fun. I doubt 4x4 version guy considered jumping it as a #1 priority.

Trophy LTD is also 2wd with much smaller tires. If you added 4wd and bigger tires, it would end up being much taller.

Somebody posted one in the other board years ago, a 64ish 4 door galaxy on f150 gear and 33s, clean and simple, in n or sought Dakota, probably built in the 80s before suvs, I liked it

Remember panel wagons?

This isn't unique, it's just lifted van, but there's no such thing as the panel wagon SUV anymore and this about as close to a new one of those and I kind of want it:

nissan-nv-cargo-x-chicago-2017.jpg

Last edited:
One of the counter guys at NAPA wants me to check out something he has...

Apparently it's a Caddy sitting on a K5 chassis.

First hand from old timers I've heard about a couple of those falcon rancheros and even a maverick being converted to 4wd using leftover early bronco parts, makes sense, they were getting rolled and smashed and there were probably lots of d30s and 3spdd20 combos floating around.
hell a 6 cylinder ranchero 4wd probably got 20mpg and as useful as a pocket on a shirt

Fender trim work?

This one was just part of a recent east coast trar adventure :laughing:

Click image for larger version  Name:	101757382_3062809747113220_1167516112716300288_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	348.4 KB ID:	38996

And yes, the math between the axles/gear ratios/tire size difference was actually calculated and worked out.

photo8936.jpg

photo8937.jpg

First hand from old timers I've heard about a couple of those falcon rancheros and even a maverick being converted to 4wd using leftover early bronco parts, makes sense, they were getting rolled and smashed and there were probably lots of d30s and 3spdd20 combos floating around.
hell a 6 cylinder ranchero 4wd probably got 20mpg and as useful as a pocket on a shirt

yea cept for this one is onna f350 idi chassis...

sorta a franken monster

Top Back Refresh