What's new

Unimog 406 in a shed

87BJ74

Member Number
Loc
Montana
Starting a new project.

79 Unimog 406-- OM352 Diesel

This truck has been sitting in a shed for 10ish years hasn't been on a public road in close to 15 years. The previous owner had the intentions to fully restore the truck but lost interest and its been sitting ever since. The motor has been gone through and rebuilt at some point in the earlier 2000s but it looks like most of the external seals are going to need to be replaced. Tires are junk so ill need some new ones of those. The axle seals on the front and rear are also going to need to be replaced as they are leaking as well. The cab is in pretty decent shape there are a couple spots of rust on the outer front fender. Im sure there will be more stuff the farther I get into it.

It is about 4 hours into the mountains from where I am located and with the amount of snow/random junk that is in front of the shed/across the property its going to be a task to get it out. I was thinking of replacing the battery and draining/replacing the fuel/engine oil in the shed and try to get it started up and drive it out and up on the trailer. Time will tell if that's going to be viable as I am going to be picking it up in a few weeks.

Flashlight shed pic:

PXL_20230218_183237283.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Sad news update on this one. The seller called me up last night and let me know that he has changed his mind on letting this truck go and sent my hold deposit back. I told him if he decided to change his mind that to give me a call. I knew i should've drove through the snowstorm last weekend:shaking:

Top Back Refresh