What's new

Unimog 404.111 build

Also, while you've got all your shit out, change the clutch throwout bearing and make sure the new one is full of grease. It's a bitch to grease.

Mine actually looks decent, can’t believe they don’t have a way to seal this.

7EB0130A-E8F8-41D6-8C50-4064699F0B11.jpeg

Still going to replace it :smokin:

mogs are bad ass,

still kick myself in the ass for not getting to the factory in Germany and taking a ride in one on their factory off road course, just could not get the family's and my schedule to line up with going there.

too cool by the way.

What's it like riding in one of those long distance? About the same as any other box truck? I've never driven a cab-over for more than a few local delivery runs.

Are you going to leave the roof on? I know you mentioned wanting it to be a 4 door someday (which I think would be super cool). Any other interior/comfort mods or is the cab staying stock?

Nice cab! Is it going to be “Irate” green?
Not sure yet

Gonna be ready for KOH, right?????
I am sure it will be ready for SOME KOH :grinpimp:
Yes and Yes

At the rate I’m going it may miss ‘23
Could I get some detail pics of the ring mount?
The hatch on top?

What's it like riding in one of those long distance? About the same as any other box truck? I've never driven a cab-over for more than a few local delivery runs.

Are you going to leave the roof on? I know you mentioned wanting it to be a 4 door someday (which I think would be super cool). Any other interior/comfort mods or is the cab staying stock?
I wouldn’t know, never ran long enough 🤣

I don’t think you ride 404s very long/far unless your enlisted and ordered to. They are not the most comfy and are slow.

Already ditching the 4 door idea because this is a shorter than most 404. If I did 3/4 of it would be cab and look funny. I need to have a few more beers while looking at it, but it definitely needs an extended cab. 1.5-2’ or so. They feel much tighter inside than the cabriolet version. My RPR seat sits almost off the front of the original seat mounts because of the high back hitting the back wall. Originally these had a 1 person bench type seat

Not much too it, hinge on one side and rubber strap on the other….

501B79C8-32A5-40E8-B274-78A436C29579.jpeg

D7048BF0-8325-4B78-8F1C-190DFA1C043F.jpeg
I believe that is to comply with euro farm equipment safety standards.

One of the best ways to spot an imported tractor from the 70s-80s is if it has the roof escape hatch.

Interesting. Thanks.

I believe that is to comply with euro farm equipment safety standards.

One of the best ways to spot an imported tractor from the 70s-80s is if it has the roof escape hatch.
This was off of a firetruck so possibly. Obviously theft wasn't an issue back then. I'll have to add a locking mechanism.

It's low on the priority list but I see a Humvee turret with a T-Shirt cannon there in the future

Been awhile since I updated, been doing a lot of little stuff not really update worthy.

I got all accessories pulled off the new cab and it’s at the media blasters, should have it back this week.

Got the transmission in the process of adding a few more gears, will do a dedicated post for that write up.

I replaced the stock ujoints inside the torque tubes. The factory design has small weep holes in the flange to allow transmission fluid to slowly seep out and lubricate them... then it goes down the torque tube. Kind of odd, not sure what the original thought was. The modern style are greased so I can seal up the weep holes and keep the fluid in the transmission.

F963CF7C-2290-48BD-A93A-083B0B5B4AA3.jpeg

401C6453-D0FC-4A97-B16E-A9D84AAE2AA3.jpeg

Last edited:
U-joint looks beefy. What size is it?
I don't have a 1350 or 1410 to put next to it, it's defiantly bigger than a 1350, maybe a little bigger than a 1410 ... the box was in German and I can't read it lol

FD2D2D59-E50F-4CCB-859D-5DE74F0BD4F0.jpeg

DFB538CE-47B6-4513-B4E7-E90E8AAF5813.jpeg
9D51C857-8D21-4DC5-9374-806AFAF85427.jpeg

Got the cab back from having it sand blasted. It’s got a few more …. Drainage holes… that it did when it left but no rust!

First time putting this cab on the frame. I got the frame on jackstands above ride height but it’s still damn tall.

Last edited:
So is the grill part of the body or is that screen fastened on to the back of a large hole there?

On the height, I just measured my HEMTT and it‘s 7’ 6” on the bumps. I generally run the bags about 4” taller for ”on road”. That height is to the roll bar which is maybe 4” over the roof. I’m thinking yours is about the same. Would you say it 7’ 6” to your roof there? I really want to get a pic with them side by side.

Looking good! I have a hard cab that I am thinking of getting blasted and epoxy coated as well. If you dont mind me asking how much did that set you back?

Top Back Refresh