What's new

Unimog 404.111 build

Well, fuck.

Sorry, I can't help but be jealous. Good for you though, that's pretty awesome!:beer:
Sure sucks that the rig got parted out though. Torched steering column.

I don't understand how anyone who was taking the axles would miss the crawl box. Makes no sense.

Now time for you to add some tech to your tech site. Could you start by posting a pic of it in the "other" position. Looking at that pic it seems like the top and bottom gears slide on the shiny shaft, moved by that shift fork in the grooves.

I'm having a hard time picturing how it works from that pic.
It was sad watching the pics of it getting cut up. Real moronic work, this is the idiot that got the axles. 30min of more unbolting and he could have sold the torque tubes for the price he got everything for :homer:
F07767DB-5E0B-48ED-AC03-4D59AE4F3DB4.jpeg

Bolts on to the side of the trans or T-case and works with the gears all ready in it would be my guess.
Bolts on the bottom, the plate on the side is where the PTO add on goes. It was already taken

Top pic is the plate on the bottom of my tranny, bottom pick is a freshly installed crawler box.
08D46929-3C66-4CC3-9DD2-963DA25EF988.jpeg

You can see the tube going up into the cab where the shifter attaches

This is the pick where I spotted the crawler gears could still be there, circled in green.

You can see the hole on the side where somebody already removed the PTO portion
DEB0A535-B66A-446F-856F-99FF020C7761.jpeg

I wonder if one has to be in neutral for the other to be engaged (tranny in neutral when crawler engaged, and vice versa).

I wonder if one has to be in neutral for the other to be engaged (tranny in neutral when crawler engaged, and vice versa).
From my taking it apart I would say transmission would need to be in neutral. Place transmission in neutral > enguage low range > place transmission in forward or reverse > shift away

I've got a 404 engine that was supposed to be a fresh military rebuild but sat with tha carb off in the mog and was seized when I got it. I was in a time crunch when I built mine and just bought another rebuilt engine to get the project finished quick. I never took it apart to investigate.

Free to good home - located about an hour west of Albany, NY.

I've got a 404 engine that was supposed to be a fresh military rebuild but sat with tha carb off in the mog and was seized when I got it. I was in a time crunch when I built mine and just bought another rebuilt engine to get the project finished quick. I never took it apart to investigate.

Free to good home - located about an hour west of Albany, NY.
I'll make it run if you deliver.

No guarantees of how well or how long. :flipoff2:

Just bought a hard cab I’m kind of excited about. I liked that this was a 4 seater, but there is something cool about these firetruck hard cabs. I’m thinking a t-shirt cannon is going to be needed for the portal :smokin:

3344E8BF-AE3E-46EB-A087-AAB65A22E6AA.jpeg

3892FE1A-DD95-4BB5-AB71-0093761DFDB4.jpeg

D04D340C-2E48-491B-966F-C3BB9F485510.jpeg

Has more of a headliner than I’ve ever seen in one. Not really sure what the bend in the back of that support is, the cab has a ding on the rear corner but nothing up top so it seems intentional.

I’d love to make this a 4 door down the road so I’ll be looking for another

I won’t get it for a few months but that takes a ton off my plate trying to figure out how to fix the current cab.

That’s cool. Looks to be in good shape. Are you saying you are getting a whole nother cab or just a rear section to make this four door/seat. I don’t think I would want to do the work installing it if you know you want something else.

I’ll put this on and run it while I look for another cab & doors. Been down long enough. May be a bit of a pipe dream, these are harder to find and if it’s in good shape it’d be hard to cut up.

It is just foam that sits against the top to cushion the stays if I remember correctly. Had it on my hardcab too.

Time to do some sketchy shit ……
850D9FF0-18DB-4340-A5D7-90019BC54310.jpeg

Shade tree mechanic wins again….
14773D76-63BE-4A39-BB91-EC7B66A1655F.jpeg

Will get the motor pulled and tranny out this week. Lots of work to do on the transmission

It's not sketchy until you have to add a counterweight to your engine hoist. :flipoff2:

Time to do some sketchy shit ……

Shade tree mechanic wins again….

Will get the motor pulled and tranny out this week. Lots of work to do on the transmission
What's your plan for the transmission?

The guy in France got it all bubble wrapped and ready to go in the shipping container. Should be stateside in a few months

0834A47B-07B3-4C59-94F7-33D19F2C22D9.jpeg

Got the motor out this weekend.

48FA5641-B0FD-4496-B3D4-0BE13645C915.jpeg

Went to roll the chassis out the door to power wash and it won’t move, the pads were rubbing on the drum something fierce which was odd, 1-2 of us could push it around before. I backed off the show adjustment bolts and still wouldn’t move. It took me twice as long to get the 4 drums off as it did to pull the motor. The bastards felt like they are pressed lol.

97DCE9A4-0496-449E-AF7E-7B2E4AEB3281.jpeg

Will defiantly be converting to discs.

I am in the same boat as you with the drums. Have you looked at or decided which method you will do for the discs?

Those things are notorious for swelled brake hoses that don't let the brake fluid out of the cylinder.

Did you try cracking the lines right at the cylinder before removing drums?

Also, while you've got all your shit out, change the clutch throwout bearing and make sure the new one is full of grease. It's a bitch to grease.

Those things are notorious for swelled brake hoses that don't let the brake fluid out of the cylinder.

Did you try cracking the lines right at the cylinder before removing drums?

Also, while you've got all your shit out, change the clutch throwout bearing and make sure the new one is full of grease. It's a bitch to grease.
I did not try that, good to know.

Yea I noticed that right off the bat the bearing looks like shit. I felt like it could be by the way the pedal felt.

I did not try that, good to know.

Yea I noticed that right off the bat the bearing looks like shit. I felt like it could be by the way the pedal felt.
Greasing it through the inspection port sounds like fun, I'm looking forward to it :laughing:

With the brake drums off the thing rolled super easy so I rolled it outside and power washed it. Lots of Johnson Valley still hidden in the books and crannies. Once I got it back in I got tranny pulled and set up to work on.

5DDC4423-72E6-4BB7-B95C-F47E90944A38.jpeg

When I pulled the boot off of the rear torque tube damn near a cup of water poured out. I was a little worried what waited on the inside of the tranny. I drained the fluid and it looked nice and new still, no water like when I drained the motor oil. I pulled the plate for the PTO and got a good look inside. There is a bit of rust in some spots though none of it looks to be anywhere gears are meshed up. I’ve never opened or worked on this transmission (or any other aside from a Jeep T18) so I’m not sure what to make of it…..

Top Back Refresh