What's new

Unimog 404.111 build

So is the grill part of the body or is that screen fastened on to the back of a large hole there?

On the height, I just measured my HEMTT and it‘s 7’ 6” on the bumps. I generally run the bags about 4” taller for ”on road”. That height is to the roll bar which is maybe 4” over the roof. I’m thinking yours is about the same. Would you say it 7’ 6” to your roof there? I really want to get a pic with them side by side.
The jackstands are holding the frame up high enough to have no pressure from the coils, that way I can roll the axles out for a rebuild soon. So it’s much taller than ride height. I’d bet the bottom of the doors are about 4’-ish in these pics.

I’d love to em get a pic next to that :beer:

Looks too tall to fit out the door.:laughing:
It likely will be, going to need even smaller rollers

Looking good! I have a hard cab that I am thinking of getting blasted and epoxy coated as well. If you dont mind me asking how much did that set you back?
$1,200 for blasting & primer

I’ve been striking out finding somebody to rebuild this M130 for me. Drove up near Des Moines Iowa this morning and picked up a fresh OM617 from a Mercedes G wagon truck. :smokin:

699CE410-1971-4B02-9CCF-CB7AB18A2017.jpeg
F4C7ABE5-ED5C-4C6A-AA00-B59C6FDAAEEF.jpeg
7E30FE51-7105-4215-A548-5F60AFCB7007.jpeg

Last edited:
How much hp is one of those? Do you need to mod it?
This is a OM617.925 which is 125 hp & 180 lb·ft torque.

I will 100% need to use an oil filter relocation kit. Some of the brackets for this newer AC system look aftermarket ... I'll have to check spacing with the stuff on the front of the block.

The guy I bought it from already put the larger injectors in. I'm ordering a Holset turbo to replace the factory one, an intercooler and sending the injector pump off to modded. Should end up 200-225hp from what I’ve read.

This has the egt deleted already. From what I can tell, getting that combo of mods makes it roll a bit:barf:‘o coal. I’d rather not on trails. So I may opt for a bigger turbo to get more power and offset the loss of power from adding the egt back. Not sure if that’s how it works, I’ll have to do a little research.

EDIT: egr not egt :homer:

Last edited:
You going to tuck the turbo in like the other one on here?

This is a OM617.925 which is 125 hp & 180 lb·ft torque.

I will 100% need to use an oil filter relocation kit. Some of the brackets for this newer AC system look aftermarket ... I'll have to check spacing with the stuff on the front of the block.

The guy I bought it from already put the larger injectors in. I'm ordering a Holset turbo to replace the factory one, an intercooler and sending the injector pump off to modded. Should end up 200-225hp from what I’ve read.

This has the egt deleted already. From what I can tell, getting that combo of mods makes it roll a bit:barf:‘o coal. I’d rather not on trails. So I may opt for a bigger turbo to get more power and offset the loss of power from adding the egt back. Not sure if that’s how it works, I’ll have to do a little research.

Im not an expert, but on the Cummins it has a power screw. You adjust it so you get just a little smoke at high throttle settings and it’s clear the rest of the time. This is where it runs the best and efficient. When you see those guys rolling coal, it’s wasting fuel. Also if they do it longer than a quarter mile, they probably melt a piston.

Pardon my ignorance, but my definition of EGT is exhaust gas temperature.

The 200 hp level is what I figure I have and it’s plenty. Should be even better for you because your not pushing so much wind down the highway.

Are you going to stick with the stock angle on the bell housing and trim the cab at the footwell?

You going to tuck the turbo in like the other one on here?
For sure, I’d really like to make more room in the passenger footwell

Im not an expert, but on the Cummins it has a power screw. You adjust it so you get just a little smoke at high throttle settings and it’s clear the rest of the time. This is where it runs the best and efficient. When you see those guys rolling coal, it’s wasting fuel. Also if they do it longer than a quarter mile, they probably melt a piston.

Pardon my ignorance, but my definition of EGT is exhaust gas temperature.

The 200 hp level is what I figure I have and it’s plenty. Should be even better for you because your not pushing so much wind down the highway.
I’m no diesel expert either, it will be a learning curve…. But I hope you’re right.

You are right, I meant EGR not EGT

Are you going to stick with the stock angle on the bell housing and trim the cab at the footwell?
That’s the plan for now, I don’t think those 13 degree adapters are no longer made.

I think he means EGR.
Yup, my bad

I guess that means “exhaust gas recovery”? I assume that’s where the crankcase is vented into the intake? Does that really eat power?
It does mean that, but the system pulls exhaust from the exhaust manifold and ducks it right back into the intake manifold. Theory is second time around it burns cleaner … no clue how it decisively polls bad exhaust gas vs clean exhaust gas. That system has already been removed from this motor, so I’m hoping WaterH is correct and it is adjustable. I’m talking to the pump people tomorrow.

You'll want to join this group on FB, OM617/OM6XX Swaps | Facebook, very knowledgeable about the 617.

It is recommended to delete the EGR on this engine as it causes heavy build up in the intake manifold as well as reduce performance, you'll also want to remove the vacuum pump as it is very failure prone, takes up quite a bit of space, and vents into the crank case increasing crank case pressure.

The pumps have a small bit of adjustment but for the most part are maxed out with their stock element size, benzforce can upgrade your pump with larger elements to flow more fuel.

Doomsdaydiesel has a lot of supporting parts for the om617, I run his vacuum pump delete, oil filter relocation block, egr block offs, and holset he221w, I chose the 7cm housing to move boost a little higher in the rpm range to hopefully improve highway driving, with 37" tires the engine will be turning 3800rpm at 55mph which puts it right in the middle of the power band, in the low gears it really doesnt need any boost to move the truck around.

It is recommended to delete the EGR on this engine as it causes heavy build up in the intake manifold as well as reduce performance, you'll also want to remove the vacuum pump as it is very failure prone, takes up quite a bit of space, and vents into the crank case increasing crank case pressure.
I noticed that in one of your videos, what are people replacing the vacuum pump with?

Doomsdaydiesel has a lot of supporting parts for the om617, I run his vacuum pump delete, oil filter relocation block, egr block offs, and holset he221w
I have the oil filter and the he221w in my cart now lol

I chose the 7cm housing to move boost a little higher in the rpm range to hopefully improve highway driving, with 37" tires the engine will be turning 3800rpm at 55mph which puts it right in the middle of the power band, in the low gears it really doesnt need any boost to move the truck around.
Havent bought finished the buy from DDD because I planed on calling tomorrow about the 5mm vs 7mm housing so glad you shared that. Any dyne pull charts out there with the 5 vs 7?

I noticed that in one of your videos, what are people replacing the vacuum pump with?

I have the oil filter and the he221w in my cart now lol

Havent bought finished the buy from DDD because I planed on calling tomorrow about the 5mm vs 7mm housing so glad you shared that. Any dyne pull charts out there with the 5 vs 7?
1. Bosch electric vacuum pump off a volvo/mercedes/gm something, I got mine at the junkyard for like $15-25
2. Nice, I opted to use his oil line with restrictor fitting also.
3. Dont believe there are any dyno charts but DDD does have a post on the 617/60x swap group outlining the benefits and pros and cons of each turbo. I slightly regret going with the 7cm instead of the 5.5cm he221 but I was just worried about prolonged "high" rpm cruising on the highway bringing the egts up to much but I havent had the chance to do any real testing yet.

Got my new Holset Turbo, vacuum delete, oil filter relocate kit, stronger hoist mount and engine mount plates from DoomsDay Diesel last week…
5BFD46B2-C361-4F4D-819C-9584065AE08D.jpeg

And a special delivery from Sweden today….. A fresh Dieselmeken 7.5 M pump
819D50D0-1B1C-45F9-B8FD-46CDAC6FCD32.jpeg

…. note to self, always order parts around Christmas, the wife doesn’t question all the packages :laughing:

Last edited:
Whoa, dieselmeken pump, you're in the big leagues now :D

Finally got some time in the shop today. Old turbo and fuel injection pump pulled, new ones put on.

81494886-3A42-46B5-AC4D-792446298EA6.jpeg

Never set up a turbo before but seems pretty self explanatory. Got the exhaust and compressor housings rotated to where I think they should be. Need to get the air to water intercooler in to finilize the positions. I also have a bit of an issue with the wastegate actuator and the oil drain, will wait till it’s in final position before figuring that out along with the hose that’s looped in the pic.
20C8D83A-B138-492E-996C-0EFC1CE32EB7.jpeg

Removed the stock MW fuel injection pump and got the Dieselmeken 7.5mm M pump installed. Need to remake fuel lines once it’s on the frame, will likely place the filter towards the rear of the frame by the fuel tank instead of right next to the pump like the factory does.
867F3A27-4C84-4814-9B8C-A4A08FEE727A.jpeg

I also got the transmission back in, waiting on gaskets to hook the torque tubes back up. Also have an upgraded clutch on the way, once I get that I can bolt the motor up and start planning motor mounts which is a bit odd, but it’s been done. Getting this motor to fit in the engine bay takes some cutting of the body. The new cab is heavy and in nice shape, so I cut the rear off the old tub and took the front and set it on the frame. I can easily move on my own and won’t have to worry about cutting into it to make everything fit.

Got way more done that I thought I would this weekend.

What Unimo
You'll want to join this group on FB, OM617/OM6XX Swaps | Facebook, very knowledgeable about the 617.

The pumps have a small bit of adjustment but for the most part are maxed out with their stock element size, benzforce can upgrade your pump with larger elements to flow more fuel.

Doomsdaydiesel has a lot of supporting parts for the om617, I run his vacuum pump delete, oil filter relocation block, egr block offs, and holset he221w, I chose the 7cm housing to move boost a little higher in the rpm range to hopefully improve highway driving, with 37" tires the engine will be turning 3800rpm at 55mph which puts it right in the middle of the power band, in the low gears it really doesnt need any boost to move the truck around.
G has 37" tires?

A guy on Benzworld just finished his motor mount and I really like the design. Bringing a 1962 404S back to life
I see what he did there and looks nice for that style. I'm going to try and keep it like stock. I'm going to try a mount on the front of the block to connect to the bushing while leaving it centered in the frame. Then replace the two stock braces that go from the bottom of the bell housing to each side of the motor with beefier ones. The factory mounts take the engine weight to the bottom of the bell housing not to a single side like most do so I'm aiming to mock that.

Top Back Refresh