What's new

Ultra4 Legends of the Fall @ Disney, OK/MidAmerica in Jay, OK

really I'm trying to watch some of the live feed now and so far the camera suck balls. watching the hill climb thing and everything is from 200 feet away.

really I'm trying to watch some of the live feed now and so far the camera suck balls. watching the hill climb thing and everything is from 200 feet away.
There’s a major difference between Ultra4 coverage and bouncer coverage. That’s the best you’ll usually get from the bouncer live coverage. Busted Knuckle and Madram11’s videos in a few days are the best way to watch bouncer things.

There’s also the technical difficulty. Nasty Girl (the hill the bouncers were climbing) is huge, steep, and very wooded. I don’t doubt that Ultra4 would’ve gotten tighter shots, but the drones simply can’t get as close as they could on obstacles out in the open.

On a different note, I wasn’t confident we’d see one person climb that hill today, and I think there were 5? Pretty amazing.

There’s also the technical difficulty. Nasty Girl (the hill the bouncers were climbing) is huge, steep, and very wooded. I don’t doubt that Ultra4 would’ve gotten tighter shots, but the drones simply can’t get as close as they could on obstacles out in the open.

On a different note, I wasn’t confident we’d see one person climb that hill today, and I think there were 5? Pretty amazing.
Good point on difficulty of the climb from a coverage standpoint and something I hadn’t really considered.

Not everyday you get to see an expensive race car (with hydro locked engine) being towed by our buddy from here in Tennessee’s 4Runner on Rockwells.

7A90A2F8-66EB-4B12-9C00-A860F00EF89C.png
C8A40990-0C75-45FF-9B79-C3A144010B44.png

true on the hill steepness. I was watching some of the start of the 4800 race and they were cutting the waterfalls out.

so where in the faek in the 4400 coverage? Heck even the 4800 coverage is wired as it's jumping all over the place, it's like watching a CD skip.. All I can find is the 4900 and 170 race coverage on youtube.

People don't give enough credit to the bouncer guys. Too often I see them dismissed as dumb rednecks who mash the pedal with no brains.
The top guys are absolute wheelmen and the rigs are uber-capable machines.

Wayland is literally driving the wheel(s) off his car to hold the lead /https://data.irate4x4.com/assets/smilies/eek.gif

So glad to see that. The Campbells are a great bunch !

Bailey led the race for a while and then Wayland led for a while. One flat tire each took them off the podium.

People don't give enough credit to the bouncer guys. Too often I see them dismissed as dumb rednecks who mash the pedal with no brains.
The top guys are absolute wheelmen and the rigs are uber-capable machines.

So glad to see that. The Campbells are a great bunch !
My problem is the look. Race cars should be function over form. I have no idea why every bouncer sports the same stupid look, but it’s purely for appearances. The hardware and skills required are absolutely impressive.

My problem is the look. Race cars should be function over form.
That's a dumb comment.

If they work and go up the hills, why do you care of their looks ?

Form over function, remember ?

My problem is the look. Race cars should be function over form. I have no idea why every bouncer sports the same stupid look, but it’s purely for appearances. The hardware and skills required are absolutely impressive.
so what about the look is dumb,,, they are all so unique its crazy, some are IFS and crazy wide, engine full on the left side and others are more strait up max travel . its crazy how different they all look from each other.

Where are the official race results? I cant find them anywhere.
Also, i couldn't believe the amount of broken axles and flat tires. Guys were running out of tires to change out.

It's a U4 race, remember ?

Gotta wait 2 to 3 weeks so that they can process the results and have racers ship trophies back to their rightful owners before they publicly give out an order.

That's a dumb comment.

If they work and go up the hills, why do you care of their looks ?

Form over function, remember ?
Form over function is an insult, not a goal. Giant exhaust tips don’t hurt a truck’s tow capability, but they make the owner look like a dipshit, and I will laugh at them. Same here.

true on the hill steepness. I was watching some of the start of the 4800 race and they were cutting the waterfalls out.

so where in the faek in the 4400 coverage? Heck even the 4800 coverage is wired as it's jumping all over the place, it's like watching a CD skip.. All I can find is the 4900 and 170 race coverage on youtube.
Go back to page 1. I posted the YouTube livestreams that can be rewatched for race coverage.

Part of the bouncer function is to survive multiple rolls without replacing the entire chassis. Are some tubes there just to be there for the look, yes, but they do multiple rolls and have to replace parts not chassis.

Also, i couldn't believe the amount of broken axles and flat tires. Guys were running out of tires to change out.
Results by class.

It's a U4 race, remember ?

Gotta wait 2 to 3 weeks so that they can process the results and have racers ship trophies back to their rightful owners before they publicly give out an order.
Ha that’s the way under Dave’s Ultra4. So far MAO hasn’t had that issue.

Go back to page 1. I posted the YouTube livestreams that can be rewatched for race coverage.

I'm not seeing it, there are the same 5 livestreams on youtube from 1 day ago.

1667234748676.png

I've watched through each of them and I do not see any of the 4400 race?

I'm not seeing it, there are the same 5 livestreams on youtube from 1 day ago.

1667234748676.png

I've watched through each of them and I do not see any of the 4400 race?

That should take you right to the highlights of 4500/4800 and a few minutes later 4400 starts.

I feel like I should explain myself a bit further so people don’t feel like I’m being totally subjective.

Here are a few of the design issues that I find annoying.

1. Why is the engine so high relative to the driver? It really seems like vision would be key to these climbs, but the typical design seems like it would be impossible to see out of.

2. Why the swoops and points in the entire structure? I get that the total structure is extremely strong. Why does it seem like it wasn’t optimized at all? No one would add unnecessary tube bends to the chassis of, say, a NASCAR. It makes that piece of tube less effective, and adds weight. To my eye, the bouncer cage designs seem to focus more on maximizing the tube footage in the car, and not maximizing strength per weight.

3. Some details seem to be purely for look-at-me purposes, and seem like they would sacrifice function. As in, there was one driving around that had a weird doubled-up A-pillar that had an entire phrase welded into it. Something like “It’s All That”, maybe. This is an EXTREMELY high-dollar build, with some of the biggest axles I’ve seen, and sounding like it makes 1000hp. And the A-pillar seems designed to be in the way of the driver.

On the other side of the coin, the Ultra4 cars look to me to do some styling things as they can, but the real beauty of them is in their tireless pursuit of better, stronger, function. To me, something that’s function first and form second will always be prettier than something that seems to be more concerned with getting stares.

I feel like I should explain myself a bit further so people don’t feel like I’m being totally subjective.

1. Why is the engine so high relative to the driver? It really seems like vision would be key to these climbs, but the typical design seems like it would be impossible to see out of.

2. Why the swoops and points in the entire structure? I get that the total structure is extremely strong. Why does it seem like it wasn’t optimized at all? No one would add unnecessary tube bends to the chassis of, say, a NASCAR. It makes that piece of tube less effective, and adds weight. To my eye, the bouncer cage designs seem to focus more on maximizing the tube footage in the car, and not maximizing strength per weight.

3. Some details seem to be purely for look-at-me purposes, and seem like they would sacrifice function. As in, there was one driving around that had a weird doubled-up A-pillar that had an entire phrase welded into it. Something like “It’s All That”, maybe. This is an EXTREMELY high-dollar build, with some of the biggest axles I’ve seen, and sounding like it makes 1000hp. And the A-pillar seems designed to be in the way of the driver.

On the other side of the coin, the Ultra4 cars look to me to do some styling things as they can, but the real beauty of them is in their tireless pursuit of better, stronger, function. To me, something that’s function first and form second will always be prettier than something that seems to be more concerned with getting stares.
I understand where you are coming from but ya can’t apply logic to bouncer builds. Although Tim Cameron’s newest bouncer looks more U4 car than bouncer (by comparison anyway).

redneckengineered description of bouncer building us pretty spot on.
A46F3668-B759-4CF4-9C1E-7E64DD2744B2.png

Last edited:

These are the 2 best machines of the field these days.
None of them are like what you're describing.

_nc_ohc=H3QLhbu-ELAAX8AUePC&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=gP8L1VRFYZkAX_YWv3e&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

Sorry for the derail.

Top Back Refresh