What's new

U4 4900 RZR build

Well it runs good again. Makes all the right noises, and all the feely goods when I mash the throttle, no check engine light, no misfire. Gotta change the oil again and it’s time to race again already. Leaving for Moab next Wednesday
0F80156B-FB66-491C-B151-F0B88CC63F02.jpeg

Moab race recap rzr style. Did all my pre running and glad I did. I got hung up in an undercut ledge in Britney Spears and had to hog on it hard to get out. Smoked a belt and it broke my RS1 diff swap bracket, this was what I get for listening to unsolicited spotting by a competitor. I qualified with the broken bracket and then welded it up in camp. Qualified and raced like a slow ass but started out 17th of 20 and finished 5th mostly due to attrition. Lots of broken and rolled cars but I got the checkered for once.

The new Ultra4 kicks ass, love having JT as a race director. They flew in 200 pounds of live crawfish to feed Everyone a crawfish shrimp Cajun boil. Food was awesome, they supplied beer, a bonfire. Seriously the whole thing kicked ass. These folks are serious about making U4 great again.

8BBB31C4-02E6-4ED0-863E-E56035385FA2.jpeg
4422A3D6-C72E-4071-BB54-19932E272260.jpeg
3BB914F1-2383-4FC7-9143-B7CBA594FE96.jpeg
767EDA2F-412B-40CC-8742-D9FEFB08E594.jpeg
26C44D8B-7384-46BD-8429-496632D1077B.jpeg
4A8395EE-9379-4D43-A928-C5E086BB9438.jpeg

Nice job, and im glad to hear all your hard work finally paid off with a solid finish. Also very glad to hear that MAO is making things better. Its a breath of fresh air to have the "dave" bias removed from the equation.

All prepped up again and ready for the next race. This is season 3 on this car and I’m finally headed for the first race that I had in mind when I built the car in the first place. Prairie City OHV Rancho Cordova Ca, popular NorCal short course track. Lightened it up as much as I could, added “tree kickers” hoping that keeps competitors from putting me on my lid by hooking tires.
56AFC83F-FFE6-4FBF-B8EE-9A9ED712BD61.jpeg
47CED4FF-981E-4252-B3DD-5B03799C1AFD.jpeg
5608B7EB-4D37-4928-914B-0932C3055DA0.jpeg
CA9BB0BD-CE54-4A53-A23B-BAC8A77A95E4.jpeg

Gonna run this one solo SLOWPOKE693 style. I’ll pull the pass seat when I get there. Taking it with me just in case a big titty brunette wants a ride.

All prepped up again and ready for the next race. This is season 3 on this car and I’m finally headed for the first race that I had in mind when I built the car in the first place. Prairie City OHV Rancho Cordova Ca, popular NorCal short course track. Lightened it up as much as I could, added “tree kickers” hoping that keeps competitors from putting me on my lid by hooking tires.
56AFC83F-FFE6-4FBF-B8EE-9A9ED712BD61.jpeg
47CED4FF-981E-4252-B3DD-5B03799C1AFD.jpeg
5608B7EB-4D37-4928-914B-0932C3055DA0.jpeg
CA9BB0BD-CE54-4A53-A23B-BAC8A77A95E4.jpeg

Gonna run this one solo SLOWPOKE693 style. I’ll pull the pass seat when I get there. Taking it with me just in case a big titty brunette wants a ride.
Car is looking good! :smokin: Are there rock piles on the track or is it a true short course race?

WTF was that, you forget to turn? 🤔

:flipoff2:
Wheels were turned, it just kept sliding over 🤦🏻‍♂️ . We all drifted in the mud. The dude right behind me hit the same thing I did. The dude next to me on my left was Brian Crofts, he came all the way over into my lane. Not like I was going to be there for him to hit me. I was ready for him to drift into me, I wasn’t ready to drift all the way off the map. I don’t know what I should’ve done differently, idle through, or punch it and hit the guy on my left. Anything differently than what I did would have been preferable in hindsight. I’m beat the hell up now, got the full body bruises where the seatbelts had to hold me in the seat during the shit whip.

Wheels were turned, it just kept sliding over 🤦🏻‍♂️ . We all drifted in the mud. The dude right behind me hit the same thing I did. The dude next to me on my left was Brian Crofts, he came all the way over into my lane. Not like I was going to be there for him to hit me. I was ready for him to drift into me, I wasn’t ready to drift all the way off the map. I don’t know what I should’ve done differently, idle through, or punch it and hit the guy on my left. Anything differently than what I did would have been preferable in hindsight. I’m beat the hell up now, got the full body bruises where the seatbelts had to hold me in the seat during the shit whip.

I'm glad your OK, that looked rough. :eek: Do you wear a helmet restraint or do those mess with your field of vision doing the rock racing thing?

Guy behind you looked like he literally followed your line right into the wall. :laughing:

I'm glad your OK, that looked rough. :eek: Do you wear a helmet restraint or do those mess with your field of vision doing the rock racing thing?

Guy behind you looked like he literally followed your line right into the wall. :laughing:
I don’t use a containment seat. I do wear a NEX-GEN head and neck restraint and I wear a neck roll that goes with the HANR. Glad I had that stuff on yesterday

ouch that is a rough roll.

steer into the slide (or straighten the wheels) and hammer the brakes to get the front to gain traction again , sometime while giving throttle. it's a tough place to recover from given the time you have to work with.

JR4X did you use standard Turbo S arms, radius rods and trailing arms on this build and just redo your front arm tabs on the frame? I am wanting to do a LT kit but if I can just buy Turbo S arms, radius rods and trailing arms it might be easier than dealing with a "kit".

By standard I meant nothing special about them other than aftermarket regular Turbo S geometry and make it work on the XP chassis.

JR4X did you use standard Turbo S arms, radius rods and trailing arms on this build and just redo your front arm tabs on the frame? I am wanting to do a LT kit but if I can just buy Turbo S arms, radius rods and trailing arms it might be easier than dealing with a "kit".

By standard I meant nothing special about them other than aftermarket regular Turbo S geometry and make it work on the XP chassis.
All standard turbo S stuff. I think it’s better than the “long travel kit” stuff for an XPT. you only have to modify one tab up front that’s actually fab work. You don’t have to swap the front diff to run the S suspension.

I’m still using the XPT knuckles so I had to ream the TRE hole to be able to use the S tie rods.

The S bearing carriers in the rear are different than XPT so I just switched over to S bearing carriers to go with the S trailing arms. I believe you can just use the S radius rods although that’s not what I did.

This pic is of the rear most bracket you have to modify. You cut the back tab off, and weld a new one 3/8” further back. I drilled all the holes to 12mm and use the bigger S fasteners. I’m also using turbo S shocks now but I ran my XPT shocks no problem at first
C7CAEAAF-B48E-4DDA-9E61-7B43EDC5025F.jpeg

This threads been going long enough for me to get engaged get married and get separated. This forums getting some years on it. RZR got way back burnered with having to find a new home and get moved into it. Finally had a chance to start tearing into it and it’s not good. The whole front frame section is trashed.

I’m going to fix it if I can find parts.

4831690F-3356-4AF9-8111-86A8D0451A77.jpeg
8521C2F9-836C-40AA-989D-80BA3AF5630D.jpeg
5555130E-E04A-4A9D-A194-FA562FB5C972.jpeg
2F0C8E35-36C4-4D22-8D2F-7B4DA827179D.jpeg
523ECB3B-5F5A-488F-83C6-541FCB9C5FC7.jpeg

I kinda thought you gave up on this due to the Bronco but I'm glad to see it's still kicking around.:smokin: Don't forget about the Outlaw Series West short course races. I think you would do well in those....

What's your plan for the front section, find a used frame, rebuild what you have or does sombody make aftermarket front clips like Weller Racing does for the YXZ?

I've been seriously considering building jigs so I can offer aftermarket frame clips but my biggest hurdle is obtaining straight clips to jig off of. Me thinks Honda, PoPo and Canned Ham clips would sell like hot cakes.

Am I seeing that right, the front clip unbolts? :eek:

The Honda, YXZ and Can Am frames are one piece and require a whole new frame to fix front clip damage. That's pretty slick on Polaris part to make it replaceable in sections.

Last edited:
Am I seeing that right, the front clip unbolts? :eek:

The Honda, YXZ and Can Am frames are one piece and require a whole new frame to fix front clip damage. That's pretty slick on Polaris part to make it replaceable in sections.
yep it “just” unbolts and drops out. It’s a PITA but doable with an engine hoist and a keg for a stand. Haven’t touched this thing in a while, been way more concerned about the Bronco. That frame section new from Polaris is $2,000 bucks. It took a little work but got it straight square and welded up better than new. So stuck it back in. Can’t believe it’s already been over 7 months since the yard sale. Got the sub frame back in and been sticking a piece or two on when I have a minute.

image.jpg

Disappointingly, the new axle shafts I bought 7 months ago are the wrong length. They are 3 1/2” to long for a turbo s. Nice find on Christmas Day. I won’t be able to do anything about it till after new year. Think SATV will tell me to pound sand because I should have figured it out 6 or 7 months ago?
70536A75-4BF4-4C11-A8AD-32891C2F2BDA.jpeg
84F1E0D3-DA65-4978-8909-B0DAEA11676C.jpeg

Top Back Refresh