What's new

U4-4400 Crandon Event Cancelled after Red Flag on First Lap

Poke Here’s a couple of quick ones from the races at Adventure Offroad Park in Tennessee.
CC4731A4-7DFC-4E65-B859-3359167A0F9F.jpeg
D19072B7-E1AD-48BF-BA49-C88C919480F1.jpeg
EF9CA2A6-EF12-4A3F-B864-233B40CFDC1C.jpeg

I spoke to the guys who were in the 911 car. Driver walked away and is just banged up a little bit. Co driver suffered compression fractures in his back, broken ribs and collar bone. Such a terrible situation for a lot of people.

I spoke to the guys who were in the 911 car. Driver walked away and is just banged up a little bit. Co driver suffered compression fractures in his back, broken ribs and collar bone. Such a terrible situation for a lot of people.
They posted an incar go pro video of the crash on Facebook yesterday and they took it down already. Do you know why they pulled it?

They posted an incar go pro video of the crash on Facebook yesterday and they took it down already. Do you know why they pulled it?
It’s still up as far as I can see. I just looked at the point1 Facebook page

mixed bag of updates it seems. surprised at the difference between the 911 driver/co-driver.
From Ian:
https://www.facebook.com/509236196/videos/619616456267251/ said:
Quick race update fromUltra4 USA at Crandon International Off Road Raceway.
Catherine Boyce and I ran a solid race in the 4900 car. Finished 9th if I remember right. Noting appears to be broken which is a plus. The rock sections were brutal!
After our race I was able to hop in and codrive for Kevin Taylor in the 4400 911 car.
Left the line solid and it wasn’t long before things went bad.
Just a racing accident going off the big jump ended with us catching a tire in mid air.
Results were about 6-7 barrel roles and end over end flips. It was without a doubt a very violent and painfull crash.
Kevin is sore but othwrewise ok. I am now in hospital number two for the evening. Compression fractures on the T3-T4-T4 vertebrates, two broken ribs and and solidly broken collar bone. Lot of other bruises and sore spot but all things conceded it could have been very very worse. Proof that even with all your safety equipment things can still happen. Still waiting to find out what the next steps will be for me. But I want to thank everyone for the messages and support. It’s been a rough 24 hours.
Prayers go out to the Rufus Racing crew and families for the loss of Zandy during the race. The man was a kind and full of life personality that always had a smile and good things to say. You will be missed!
Keeping the other drivers and co drivers involved who are still fighting a full recovery so we can all race again someday soon.
From Kevin/Point1:
https://www.facebook.com/knockoutracing/posts/pfbid027p2DpxRX81bwGfFs4rngzKN6dT3KU11vxocVy2rpBaBuFZprPzqGup95hFGJK5uNl said:
I normally start my race recaps with smart remarks about having fun and finishing. I can’t do that today. Today has been full of “20/20 hind-site”. The what ifs, could of, would of and should of from the last 24 hours. To say the least the last 24 hours have been a nightmare. One that I won’t forget for many years. The weekend started out great with Ian Boyce and Catherine Boyce doing an awesome job in their 4900 class races. We are very proud of them! It was time for the 4400 class race. Ian stated that he wanted to ride co-pilot since Heath Day was going to be spotter. I was originally going to run the race solo. But, Ian ran with me last year here and he just finished his race, so he knew the course just as well as I did. It is not necessarily knowing the course that matters as much as having a second set of eyes looking out for the cars around you.
I will not go into detail about the race as it only lasted 10 seconds. The video below will pretty much sum up the race.
I am alright, very sore and just downright hurting. Ian on the other hand is still in the hospital and I will give him the opportunity to go into detail when he does his race recap. He is hurt, but he will heal.
I have edited the video out of respect for the Rufus Racing team. Race in peace Zandy, you were one of a kind. The entire Point1 family are keeping Zandy, his family and his friends in our prayers.

Based on those my guess would be last minute addition of Ian as a co-driver, he didn't have the harness adjusted quite enough and came down hard when they landed?

Video of the 911 crash from the outside:

Video of the 911 crash from the inside:

Kudos to whoever designed/welded up the cage, that held together amazingly well.

Aaron Z

Wow, for as bad as it was and sounded and such, certainly seems like the 911 did what it was supposed to do in staying all the large parts together.

Was the rest of the crash behind them then?

aczlan thanks for posting the FaceSpace recaps and videos. Crazy to see the inside and outside footage of that wreck. It was just barely visible on the original coverage. Bouncer-ish cage held up well for that many full speed rolls.

Hi all. Yes it's been a very rough couple days. I rode up to crandon with Zandy, basically spent the past week with him and then had to take his stuff back to his family yesterday with Chip and the St. Clairs. I need a couple more days to decompress and give a full race recap but basically with Zandys deal, he checked up on the 2nd jump between turn 1 and 2 and lawn darted/barrel rolled. I was in the rock section so I didn't see it happen. I was with Zandy in staging and he was having the time of his life as he always was. He was super stoked to get Irene (their IFS car) prepped for the Baja 1000 and had been working on convincing me every day that I needed to go with them. I still can't believe he's gone. Just fucking nuts.

Hi all. Yes it's been a very rough couple days. I rode up to crandon with Zandy, basically spent the past week with him and then had to take his stuff back to his family yesterday with Chip and the St. Clairs. I need a couple more days to decompress and give a full race recap but basically with Zandys deal, he checked up on the 2nd jump between turn 1 and 2 and lawn darted/barrel rolled. I was in the rock section so I didn't see it happen. I was with Zandy in staging and he was having the time of his life as he always was. He was super stoked to get Irene (their IFS car) prepped for the Baja 1000 and had been working on convincing me every day that I needed to go with them. I still can't believe he's gone. Just fucking nuts.
Glad you were able to be there with them and get some good Zandy time. Still hard to believe it happened. Left a positive influence on this household and only saw him 1-2 weekends a year.

Top Back Refresh