What's new

U.S. Axis and/or Fallow Hunting

YotaRedneckGirl

Member Number
Loc
Iowa?
We've had a South African hunt booked for the last 16 months, but as of right now it is postponed until 2021 unless the SA Government opens the boarders the day before we are supposed to leave. Not sure we will hold on to the trip if it's postponed another 14 months from now.

That being said, we're too late for most tag draws and trying to come up with alternatives. I think Axis and Fallow deer are beautiful and starting to do some research on U.S. locations that have them. I'm not interested in high-fence hunts unless it's a massive amount of ground that is fenced for some reason like species control.

Like I said, just starting to do some research. Anyone hunted them through an outfitter or on public ground or know of anywhere I should look into?

Get off your high horse of exotics in a high fence.

That being said, I have axis on both low and high fence. I can shoot them off the back porch of either house.

I'd square away something during the summer, as the bucks always mature since the whitetail hunters arent throwing lead.

That being said, I have axis on both low and high fence. I can shoot them off the back porch of either house.

I'd square away something during the summer, as the bucks always mature since the whitetail hunters arent throwing lead.

OK, so give me some info to get me off this high horse about high fence?

This is a foreign concept to me, so my perception could be totally wrong. I also get that it's an exotic, so high fence may be some of the only options. I'll have to look into the differences between high and low fence, as I've never heard of low.

I have a buddy in Hawaii, he was telling me about Axis deer hunting there. I can't remember which island but apparently there's a good population there. Sounds like a fun hunt to me.

Summer in TX for the axis rut. Throw a dart on the Texas hill country map and you can likely buy a hunt for either. Public land is limited here, and you would have to draw for the chance.

I don’t have anything against high fence necessarily, but I have zero interest in shooting an animal that’s in a 40 acre pen, or right under a feeder from a box blind. The problem is you can’t really tell from looking online, a place might be a 2,500 acre ranch, but the exotics are all kept in one small corner of it. Same reason I’m hesitant to go to Africa.

This would be a good place to do some research on it.

https://www.texasbowhunter.com/

I don’t have anything against high fence necessarily, but I have zero interest in shooting an animal that’s in a 40 acre pen, or right under a feeder from a box blind. The problem is you can’t really tell from looking online, a place might be a 2,500 acre ranch, but the exotics are all kept in one small corner of it. Same reason I’m hesitant to go to Africa.

I thought I recognized your screen name from somewhere else. Found the answer now.

Just got off the phone with a Texas outfitter and he said his high fence areas are 12,000 to 500 acres, so massive amounts of ground.

Thanks for the link, I'll do some checking there.

Where we are slated to go in Africa, some of their high fence areas are 40,000 acres :eek:

Just got off the phone with a Texas outfitter and he said his high fence areas are 12,000 to 500 acres, so massive amounts of ground.

Thanks for the link, I'll do some checking there.

Where we are slated to go in Africa, some of their high fence areas are 40,000 acres :eek:

TBH is a excellent resource, and a overall good forum. Been a member there for several years.

Top Back Refresh