What's new

Type 3 hard coat anodizing

Jnull

Member Number
Anyone here do it or know a good place to get it done? I have a winch thimble my buddy machined me (prolink XXL copy) I’m looking to get done. Contacted one place and they charge $150 minimum so I’m not really getting my money’s worth with that small of a part.

DFC99752-3-B12-420-E-89-B7-122-C47-B15245.jpg

You must be a Jeep guy. What is your location?

You guys don’t have to be jealous you don’t have a friend who can make free billet parts from a full machine shop that’s at his disposal FO2.

Its for my 9k work truck that sees 40k+ miles a year and lives on shitty middle of nowhere right of ways where there’s no cell service for over 20 miles. So not exactly the local gay bar you butt pirates hangout at.

FA43-CB0-C-7510-4162-AE03-2-D57445-A84-AF.jpg

Most places that hard coat/anodize parts price the stuff out based on what fits in one basket. Full basket = $125 or 1 part in the basket = $125. At least in my experience with that stuff.

Last batch of aluminum parts I had anodized were sent to Florida. Guy had really good prices for what I wanted but it was also multiple parts and not a single piece like yours.

Most places that hard coat/anodize parts price the stuff out based on what fits in one basket. Full basket = $125 or 1 part in the basket = $125. At least in my experience with that stuff.

Last batch of aluminum parts I had anodized were sent to Florida. Guy had really good prices for what I wanted but it was also multiple parts and not a single piece like yours.

Makes sense, I’ve never had anything anodized before I just figured it’d fare better then powdercoat on the front of the truck. I thought it’d be like powdercoat where they do a whole batch of shit at once.

Nice front porch there Tex. I have machinists that can make parts for me, but I'm smart enough to price out the whole project before deluding myself into thinking that I can save money on brodozer parts by having a one-off made.

Even at 150 it’s still 50 bucks cheaper then buying one, if I don’t want to spend the money I’ll spray bomb it every few months no big deal. Are purpose built work trucks bro dozers now? Don’t know, don’t really care.

Even at 150 it’s still 50 bucks cheaper then buying one, if I don’t want to spend the money I’ll spray bomb it every few months no big deal. Are purpose built work trucks bro dozers now? Don’t know, don’t really care.

Bumper looks a little........ Outback Australia Mad Max road train.

But If it has a purpose..?

Bumper looks a little........ Outback Australia Mad Max road train.

But If it has a purpose..?

Most of my driving is on secluded back country highways that are infested with deer and elk, no cell service and very few houses so an animal impact that disables the truck leaves me walking, which I’ve done in the dark till some drunk lady picked me up.

Purpose "built" by bolting some pretty wheels and a front porch on to it? :laughing:

$50 cheaper because your buddy's time means nothing to you.

Welded a bottom truss onto the front axle because CAD, replaced the 2 piece passenger axle shaft with a single shaft, regeared to 4.10s, added a power wagon E locker, replaced the radius arms with an adjustable 4 link and replaced the unit bearings with a free spin kit. As far as DDs that see as many miles as mine does that can still tow my equipment trailer/excavator and get me where I need to go offroad I’d say it’s fairly built to be a capable, reliable DD and tow rig.

My buddy gets paid while he’s at work so nothing to him, not to mention all the things I fab and weld for his various projects. Friendships go both ways but I suspect you don’t know anything about friends. Anything else?

When the anodize wore off my 1992 AR receivers the price to get an ffl anodizer to refinish them was insane, so I decided to try this new stuff and sent them out for Ceracoat. It was $25 8 years ago and the finish is still like new but for one scratch that would be a lot more in anodized guns. I’ve been rough on this thing over the years and I’m sold on it. Back then there were only a couple colors, now there’s dozens.

When the anodize wore off my 1992 AR receivers the price to get an ffl anodizer to refinish them was insane, so I decided to try this new stuff and sent them out for Ceracoat. It was $25 8 years ago and the finish is still like new but for one scratch that would be a lot more in anodized guns. I’ve been rough on this thing over the years and I’m sold on it. Back then there were only a couple colors, now there’s dozens.

I’ve had lots of gun parts cerakoted, and I did consider that but wasn’t sure how it’d hold up to stones and road debris getting shot at it. It is some very durable stuff.

Not any help here, but what do you think of those toyos? I’ve heard some questionable things about them in the snow, but I trust a review from someone here far more than I trust reviews on tire rack.

This is my second set and definitely the best tire I’ve run on a heavy truck. The traction could be better in rain and snow but I’ve never had any issues and a lot of the roads I travel don’t get plowed till after I’ve already driven through. They’re do well offroad, have good street manners, are durable and last the longest of anything I’ve run so far. I’d recommend them to anyone.

Summit machine in SLC,UT area has been doing their aluminum links anodized. The lady seems pretty cool. Goes by Summit Julene on bookface.

Summit machine in SLC,UT area has been doing their aluminum links anodized. The lady seems pretty cool. Goes by Summit Julene on bookface.

I’ll check em out thanks.

Since you mentioned elk Im guessing youre somewhat close to elk county. I know of a place near there that may let you throw it in with whatever load theyre doing but youre kind of an ass. Besides if youre buddy runs such a big machine shop youd think hed be aware of someone capable.

Also you mentioned us butt pirates being jealous of your machinist friend. Do you not realize many of the members here are quite capable of doing that work themselves some of us even have the capability of doing it in our own home shops.

It's on a hard use hard core work rig? Spray it with some paint and bake it in the oven. Or don't. And just let it do what it will do naturally. What does it matter what it looks like on your bro-field truck?

Since you mentioned elk Im guessing youre somewhat close to elk county. I know of a place near there that may let you throw it in with whatever load theyre doing but youre kind of an ass. Besides if youre buddy runs such a big machine shop youd think hed be aware of someone capable.

Also you mentioned us butt pirates being jealous of your machinist friend. Do you not realize many of the members here are quite capable of doing that work themselves some of us even have the capability of doing it in our own home shops.

Elk county borders mine actually. Yes I’m very aware of that and yes I’m an ass, is new pirate not comprised of nothing but assholes like old pirate? The butt hurt sure is strong here. You weren’t included in the butt pirate comment but whatever.

Unfortunately they don’t deal with anything anodized.

Last edited:
It's on a hard use hard core work rig? Spray it with some paint and bake it in the oven. Or don't. And just let it do what it will do naturally. What does it matter what it looks like on your bro-field truck?

I like to keep this truck looking nice, it’s going to last me a long time. And I like once and done shit.

I said previously if i can’t get it done for a descent price I’ll just spray bomb it but I’d rather not have to keep fucking with it. Im not a fan of oxidized aluminum either.

Elk county borders mine actually. Yes I’m very aware of that and yes I’m an ass, is new pirate not comprised of nothing but assholes like old pirate? The butt hurt sure is strong here. You weren’t included in the butt pirate comment but whatever.

Unfortunately they don’t deal with anything anodized.

They may not deal with anything anodized but I will guarantee they deal with metal finishing or coating of some kind or its not much of a machine shop, but Im sure you know that.

Im not the least bit butthurt. You come on as a new guy and act like an asshole talking down to people that are apparently way more capable than you are. Although I would expect no less out of a early 20s dipshit.

They may not deal with anything anodized but I will guarantee they deal with metal finishing or coating of some kind or its not much of a machine shop, but Im sure you know that.

Im not the least bit butthurt. You come on as a new guy and act like an asshole talking down to people that are apparently way more capable than you are. Although I would expect no less out of a early 20s dipshit.

Hardly new, I was around old pirate for a lot of years. So I’m the asshole for giving shit back to people that were giving it to me?

not in my 20s and no I’m no machinist, fabricator/welder.

Top Back Refresh