What's new

Two Tezla 8s in a 4th order for a Mega Cab

ProjectTwin

Member Number
Customer brought these 8s to me and wanted an enclosure. The size of these meant that they wouldn't fit in an enclosure behind the rear seat. We even pulled the storage boxes/factory sub trying to get them to fit. No luck.

Customer said if I'd build a box to sit on seat he'd be happy with it.

Built this.

The entire dash moves. :laughing:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

A buddy I grew up with was lazy as fuck and wanted two 12's in his quad cab Ram. They didn't fit so he just put the big ass box on the back seat with wires running all over. Stayed that way for years and probably still is like that.

I tried my best to avoid riding with him cuz he played Britney Spears at full blast. :homer:

4th blowing through the rear deck with my pair of 8" ZVX's on 2k watts is what I want you to build for me.

I will be dropping it off to you this winter.

Looking forward to your work.

Damnit. Saw "Mega Cab" in the title and got all excited, hoping it was something I could copy for mine.:laughing:

Awesome work as always though!

Soooo how brutally loud is this one?:laughing:

It's not ripping his vehicle apart. :laughing:

The entire dash moves, though. A little windshield flex. Everything in/on the center console rattles around.

This Mega Cab is built better than that Civic 4-door. :laughing:

4th blowing through the rear deck with my pair of 8" ZVX's on 2k watts is what I want you to build for me.

I will be dropping it off to you this winter.

Looking forward to your work.

You don't want to use better subs? Looking at 8s due to space concerns? What vehicle?

Two of these in a 4th would be...fun. :laughing:

A, whats it tuned for?
B, any port noise?

It's a 4th order bandpass. The sealed chamber controls how low it plays, the vented chamber controls how high it'll play. So the sealed side works like a high-pass filter, the vented side works as a low-pass filter.

The ratio between the sealed/vented sides (and tuning of the vented chamber) controls bandwidth.

You don't want to use better subs? Looking at 8s due to space concerns? What vehicle?

Two of these in a 4th would be...fun. :laughing:

Well I own them already.

i had them in a crew cab in a nice box a local builder made for me and it was more than I needed, on 2k watts with a 320 amp alternator

Current car is Lexus GS, want them in trunk firing up through factory subwoofer area.

I am currently running 3 amp and a Dayton 4x8 DSP - I want that tuned by you as well.

A 4th with those ZVX's is pretty big so not really saving much space but I do like having most of my trunk plus I have a 5 gallon tank for my air ride in there as well.

Customer said if I'd build a box to sit on seat he'd be happy with it.

So, speaking of dumb truck box ideas, ever built one where the box replaced the rear seat frame instead of a seat lift? I have an SD3-10 in an under-seat box I built in my '06 F150 now but I've got a pair of SA-8's just sitting here. I'm considering building a new under seat box and bolting/magnet mounting the bottom seat cushions directly to the box instead of using a seat lift and having to work around the seat frame.

Since you are here, what happened to the pics in the "Stealth Build: Escalade 2nd Row Center Subwoofer Console" thread? I can't see them.

Well I own them already.

i had them in a crew cab in a nice box a local builder made for me and it was more than I needed, on 2k watts with a 320 amp alternator

Current car is Lexus GS, want them in trunk firing up through factory subwoofer area.

I am currently running 3 amp and a Dayton 4x8 DSP - I want that tuned by you as well.

A 4th with those ZVX's is pretty big so not really saving much space but I do like having most of my trunk plus I have a 5 gallon tank for my air ride in there as well.

Makes sense. I did a 4th for a pair of SDR-8s in a Jeep Wrangler not too long ago. Ended up being a reverse-ratio 4th. Needed a good bit of air space for those as well.

Last edited:
So, speaking of dumb truck box ideas, ever built one where the box replaced the rear seat frame instead of a seat lift? I have an SD3-10 in an under-seat box I built in my '06 F150 now but I've got a pair of SA-8's just sitting here. I'm considering building a new under seat box and bolting/magnet mounting the bottom seat cushions directly to the box instead of using a seat lift and having to work around the seat frame.

I had a guy here today...no rear seat in his truck and he had two 15s in Q-bomb boxes. Complained about lack of output. That was a result of the enclosure tuning. The lows he wanted the subs just couldn't make in those enclosures.

Since the rear seat was gone he said I could take up the space where the rear seat was. Older 4-door GMC

I did.

The rear wall of the cab flaps violently when playing 21 Hz. Lots of rattles in that truck.

He came today for tuning. Messed with it outside in the driveway. Daughter said stuff in the house was shaking.

Double stack must make for high xmax numbers. Can't say I really understand the rubber boots on magnets. Thermal dissipation doesn't suffer from them, you think?

Rubber boots keep the ferrite from being damaged if the sub is mishandled.

Other than that I've got nothing.

Since you are here, what happened to the pics in the "Stealth Build: Escalade 2nd Row Center Subwoofer Console" thread? I can't see them.

I can't see the pics in that build thread either. I use Firefox, it works in Chrome though.

Well I own them already.

Just modeled a 4th for those.

It's a reverse ratio. About 4ft^3 total. From 72 Hz down it has more output than their suggested vented enclosure.

Ignore the 2.5ft^3 @ 36 Hz you see here. That's their suggested vented enclosure. I have to model the bandpass first, then model sealed or vented to see predicted SPL.

Still waiting on the SPL response fix for the bandpass enclosures.

Screenshot (429).png

one of the things I was known for doing.. was removing the bottom part of a rear seat, and making a box that either used almost all the space and just some covers, or leaving a small amount of room (compared to the original seat bottom) and placing a small cushion for who ever is stuck sitting back there.. haha

stock seats take up way too much room sometimes..

but like I said in a different thread.. its been about 8 years or so, since I have installed a deck.. and I just help out with design ideas, etc.. every few months.. for both enclosures and amp racks..

oh and I'm really good with fiberglass.. I was in an accident a few weeks ago, and Im thinkin of making a video of me sorta fixing the small amount of damage..

Top Back Refresh