What's new

Turtle soup

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
I used to have turtle meat once in awhile at local fish fry’s and really enjoyed it. I also used to trap turtles with a friend of mine to supply these fish fry’s. It’s been awhile so I bought some turtle meat at a market in Wisconsin.

My plan was to boil it, bread it, and then fry it. I thawed it out this weekend but ended up not having time to make it. Today I’m working from home and decided to make a soup in the crockpot instead.

Here’s what I tossed together in the crockpot:
approximately 2 pounds of turtle meat
one onion
can of rotel
can of corn
mushrooms
little bit of diced garlic
can of beer
a local seasoning that’s similar to cavendars
beef broth

This should turn out ok, I guess we’ll see in a few hours. :laughing:

Feel free to share your turtle recipes.

Do you just use regular turtles from a pond or is there a special breed (?) of them you can eat and ones you can't? I've never tried it but I want to. Along with possum and racoon

Do you just use regular turtles from a pond or is there a special breed (?) of them you can eat and ones you can't? I've never tried it but I want to. Along with possum and racoon

Snapping turtle is what we would trap. Farmers would ask us to come catch them out of ponds so they wouldn't bite the teats off their cows.
Which ones you can/can't eat depends on state regulations.

Snapping turtle is what we would trap. Farmers would ask us to come catch them out of ponds so they wouldn't bite the teats off their cows.
Which ones you can/can't eat depends on state regulations.

Thanks! Had no idea turtles would attack cows

It turned out pretty good.

E0973C64-DE99-4423-9AC7-91820E0E4588.jpeg

Where in Wisconsin did you buy the Turtle meat? I've lived here my whole life and never had it. My dad used to talk about catching them as a kid for soup and I have always wanted to try it.

You DONT EAT TURTLES MAN!

Not fucking cool.

:flipoff2:

Not following. He didnt say endangered sea turtles or some shit. Turtles can become very population dense in the correct environment. And tons of people get sick of them as pets and “release them” into the wild. Take a boat down to in front of the Boeing plant on lake Washington on a sunny day. All the logs have store bought red ear sliders sunning themselves with a few other breeds/crossbreeds thrown in In fact if the population isnt managed it can and does destroy small fish breeding populations as well as the turtles will sit and feast of the you fish. Kind like sea lions hanging out at a dam ot set of locks eating salmon. Easy free food never gets skipped in nature.

Here's a story about chopping off the head & to bleed it out. When it was ready to cook, it was gone!! The turtle had crawled/escaped away to the far end of property. I've been told that the heart is like Timex, it keeps on ticking-

Edit~ I used to buy the canned soup version at the local supermarket. It came from some farm in Florida-

Last edited:
Never had soup. Fried snapper is very good. That soup looks good,I like soups.

Prior to killing and cleaning a snapping turtle it is a good idea to keep it in a tub of clean water for a period of time. Change the water every few days until it remains relatively clear. This usually takes one to two weeks.

Cleaning a snapping turtle is actually easier than you might suspect. Cut the turtle's head off and hang the turtle upside down overnight to eliminate the blood. The next day nail or otherwise fasten the upside down turtle's tail to a stump so that most of the shell hangs off the stump but is parallel to the stump surface.

Cut and remove the bottom shell and then cut away each leg and the neck from the carapace or shell. Turtle fat is yellow and should be removed from the meat. Turtle meat is best if cooked immediately, but it seems to keep well if frozen in water.

Another way to clean a turtle in preparation for cooking is to parboil it first, about five minutes of parboiling the turtle, after killing it, makes a much easier job of cleaning the beast. You cut away the under shell remove the entrails and then fillet the meat, including the legs and tail, away from the top shell. The skin, should peel off easily after parboiling. The meat, after rinsing and cleaning in water, is ready for whatever recipe you prefer.

Snapping turtles can be prepared in a variety of ways, much the same as squirrels or rabbits. The best results are obtained by parboiling the meat until it can be easily removed from the bone. Try stir frying the meat with bacon in a very hot skillet or adding it to a stew or gumbo.

Snapping turtle meat can be delicious if the turtles are cleaned properly, the meat tenderized and prepared with a good recipe.

Top Back Refresh