What's new

Turning off vehicles while in drive thru

Boa550

Member Number
Don't know if it is gas price related, but twice now I've been in line at my banks' drive through and when I turned off my truck at the teller window I found that mine and maybe another was the only ones idling in a line of 20 cars. Its near dead quite. Weather had been fair in both instances and I guess I do find myself on the "wrong side of the tracks", but that can be a given anywhere in New Mexico. And no my hearing is not gone. It got me thinking at what point does idling fuel costs more than the cost of replacing a starter, and would you consider turning off and on your vehicle while waiting in a similar situation.

Our new cars turn off rather than idle. When I had a diesel I had to turn it off to hear. newer cars are super quiet anyway, they might have been idling you just didn't hear them.

A lot of newer cars shut off automatically when stopped now.

Unless it's hot as fuck and my shit might overheat I don't turn mine off unless I'm done driving. Only exception in the past has been trucks with loud enough exhaust I had to turn them off to hear the drive through speaker.

I do it if I realize the line I'm sitting in is a hopefless clusterfawk. And yes if/when driving cars with exhaust that loud (my more youthful days)

I only turn mine off if I know I'm not moving at all for at least 5 min. Otherwise that shit stays running

Have turn my diesels off to hear, otherwise naw there's a good chance my land cruiser won't start back.

I don't shut my truck off unless I'm exiting it and it won't be in sight.

A lot of newer cars shut off automatically when stopped now.

Unless it's hot as fuck and my shit might overheat I don't turn mine off unless I'm done driving. Only exception in the past has been trucks with loud enough exhaust I had to turn them off to hear the drive through speaker.

I too drive a diesel and that is how I turned off my truck to hear almost silence. The newer cars not idling is a probability, but there were a few older cars and pickups there. It wasn't a parking lot, the line was steadily moving.

otherwise naw there's a good chance my land cruiser won't start back.

Exactly, when my junk was in poor mechanical condition I was asked to shut it off at a drive through.

I replied I cant

The lady: why not?

Because it might not start again.

The lady: fine pull up to the first window.
:laughing:

Auto stop start. It’s mandated on all new cars. Has been a while now I believe.

doesn’t do it when it’s hot though. Compressor can’t cool if it’s not turning :eek:

Is it really? I thought all the people just went and bought the Greta Addition or something.

Annoying as hell.

Not something I do, I just keep my vehicle running. Little bit of gasoline it will consume / or emission doesn’t really add up to a lot. New cars run quite clean if properly looked after.

It wasn't all newer cars through, there is a retaining wall on two sides of the bank. I feel a little bad now thinking that most everyone else has been through there on more than one occasion to have the courtesy to turn off their cars and pickups to let those at the head of the line hear the speaker.

I shut mine off usually. I can't hear shit with it running and I know no one behind me can either.

Dont most vehicles take more fuel to restart than to let idle 5-10min? Stupid liberal faggots.

I think it was Engineering Explanied that did a video on just that. His results showed it was closer to like 10-15 seconds.

X-whatever on being able to hear over the bag of hammers under the hood.

otherwise I dont turn them off.

doesn’t do it when it’s hot though. Compressor can’t cool if it’s not turning :eek:

Hence why I got a 2500. Don't want that stuff in a pickup.

If I shut off my vehicle it wouldn't be more than a minute and I wouldn't be able to see out the windshield. Shut off for 1 minute, wait 5 minutes for windshield to clear. :homer:

I do it so myself and people in other lanes can hear, sometimes my vehicle of choice may not be muffler equipped

I bought a 2014 BMW in 2014, it had a auto start and stop, that I could disable. Now, the wife has a 2020 Mazda CX-30 that’s does not shut off when stopping, it’s not a option.🤷‍♀️ I am not sure why the new Mazda does not have this feature, and am happy it doesn’t.

I can't do drive throughs so....no help here. :flipoff2:

I think it was Engineering Explanied that did a video on just that. His results showed it was closer to like 10-15 seconds.

A warm engine doesn't really start, it just resumes running, mazda has some neat programming that knows which cylinder is at or just after tdc when it stops it fires off the direct injector and the sparkplug and resumes running without the starter. most modern cars start so fast most people don't notice their battery getting weak until a cold snap comes and click click click.

As to old junk the idi I ran when warm would start running after the first cyl got to tdc the 2.9 in my B2 would start the same, distributers as much as I don't like them don't need to be spun around a dozen times to know where the engine is like those fucking 4L inlines that need 20 seconds of cranking before they start firing injectors and sparkplugs.

I usually dont turn off my truck till i get where im going, including running into a store to grab a soda or using the atm. If its not my ideal temperature outside i also leave it running when getting fuel.

I think its automakers going after gas numbers.
its def not a requirement as my 2021 does not have it, but between the 1500 gas trucks i tested, it was def 50/50.

I see it as a huge negative in a long term investment as id imagine you create much more wear on parts by constantly restarting but who knows....

As to old junk the idi I ran when warm would start running after the first cyl got to tdc

lies
both my 7.3s need the can of angry noises when cold or hot, every time

actually I haven't tried a hot restart since I started feeding the starter 24v
it might actually light off now...

still gotta open the hood though, solenoid died last year, ain't got around to replacing it yet

Top Back Refresh