What's new

TSC Gun Safe

uhoh

Member Number
Anyone use a Liberty Revere or Cannon gun safe? I don't have any need for something at the Oceans Eleven level secure but I'm just looking for something that will be primarily used to keep things away from kids and store ammo. Any real life reviews? TSC has marked both down $100 to $600-$700.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers...dy-vs-amsec-bf

I don't have anything about those safes but if your buying one and spending 600-700 what not spend a little more for a better built one. I have one from sturdy safe there more but I guess you get what you pay for.

Waiting to buy a house before I commit to a safe, right now they're behind a false wall. Will surround whatever I buy with 3" of sheetrock when I do decide what I'm getting.

Cannon has one of the best no questions asked warrantees.

I own an AMSEC and they can suck my dick. After we flooded I called to BUY a replacement interior and they told me to pond sand. They had no interest in helping me at all.

I own an AMSEC and they can suck my dick. After we flooded I called to BUY a replacement interior and they told me to pond sand. They had no interest in helping me at all.

Ouch, I guess I can take them off my "look at" list.

We have the big tractor supply cannon. Haven't had a problem with it except that the shelves sag with enough weight on them :grinpimp: A few pieces of 2x4s ran down to the next support fixed that pretty easy. Other than that I think I've replaced the battery once in the last 10ish years. I'm happy with it

This is what sold me.

I have a cannon wide body. Seems to be a decent safe. They are cheaper because the interior is cheaper. I don't look inside very often so I don't really care.

thats unfortunate. amsec is who i was going to recommend for actual security and fire rating.

thats unfortunate. amsec is who i was going to recommend for actual security and fire rating.

I have the cannon 80? Gun safety it seems kinda flimsy to me but I haven't had any problems with it but I've only had it for a year.

I've got a Cannon 48?? Wide Tall, that probably six years old, It's held up well.

They're worth the coin if you know what you're getting and set expectations realistically.

If it's in an uncontrolled fire you've got a nice place to store all your charcoal, they're fire resistant not proof.

If a thief has more that 10 minutes uninterrupted it's not safe...

If a thief has more that 10 minutes uninterrupted it's not safe...

To be fair, very very few sub $5000 safes are going to stand up to 10 minutes of work by a pro. Really a safe is just to slow down/make them move on to easier things to grab when it comes down to it.

To be fair, very very few sub $5000 safes are going to stand up to 10 minutes of work by a pro. Really a safe is just to slow down/make them move on to easier things to grab when it comes down to it.

My point exactly, the sub $1K tractor supply stuff is a bargain, you don't really gain much more than finish until you hit that really high end, so why waste the resources. Another point to add is that on the advice of some friends that have been digging fires for a living for a while now, I've put all my documents in a fire box inside the safe again it's no guaranty but it's something.

My point exactly, the sub $1K tractor supply stuff is a bargain, you don't really gain much more than finish until you hit that really high end, so why waste the resources. Another point to add is that on the advice of some friends that have been digging fires for a living for a while now, I've put all my documents in a fire box inside the safe again it's no guaranty but it's something.

I am planing out a setup in my shops office. Going to line the outside of the safe (one of the TSC safes) with 2 layers of 1" drywall, then box it into the corner with concrete and cinderblock. I figure that will be about the best I can do.

If you want to keep your kids out, why not get one of those gun cabinets? They are a couple hundred bucks and you can move them by yourself. If all you are trying to go is keep your kids out, that is the way to go.

OB is right, a sub 5k safe is not really that safe.

If you want to keep your kids out, why not get one of those gun cabinets? They are a couple hundred bucks and you can move them by yourself. If all you are trying to go is keep your kids out, that is the way to go.

OB is right, a sub 5k safe is not really that safe.

To be fair, most of those sub $1k gun "safes" can be moved by yourself also. A dolly is pretty easy to come by. Many of them are sub-600#

Go to your local safe store and see what you can find there used. You might be surprised. I bought a old-school Liberty from when they still used thick plate in the construction for far less than new.

I'm sure it was from an old dead guy but hey so are most of my guns! 🤓

The RSC category is too broad and a bit of a racket. Not RSC’s are created equal but it seems some companies want to shine up a big soda can with lights and charge people thousands and youre really not any better off than a lot cheaper container. Amsec is the only one I have seen offer the RSC 2 rating but thats a huge jump and youre going to pay. Ive read the RSC2 level is harder in some ways to get than a TL15 rating. In my opinion the best bang for the buck against theft is Sturdy.

Redoing the insides is not that hard as i have done 8 , just look at it and reverse engineer it . use type X drywall 5/8 thick and tough as nails adhesive cut to fit the top ,the back , then the sides brace with wood until dry . on the second layer cover with your fabric of choice with 3M spray adhesive then add shelf strips then cut and cover your shelves with the same fabric . i move safes for a living and get a dozen or so a year for free if they need redone before i flip them thats what i do . The last one i did i was keeping for myself so i went 3 layers of drywall to give me a 90 minute fire rating .

Redoing the insides is not that hard as i have done 8 , just look at it and reverse engineer it . use type X drywall 5/8 thick and tough as nails adhesive cut to fit the top ,the back , then the sides brace with wood until dry . on the second layer cover with your fabric of choice with 3M spray adhesive then add shelf strips then cut and cover your shelves with the same fabric . i move safes for a living and get a dozen or so a year for free if they need redone before i flip them thats what i do . The last one i did i was keeping for myself so i went 3 layers of drywall to give me a 90 minute fire rating .

Thats what I did, several years ago.

Ouch, I guess I can take them off my "look at" list.

They were high on my list for a 2nd safe. Not anymore. I have a liberty fat boy and love it. If you goal is to keep guns away from kids and honest people then either of those will work. If your looking for better fire protection and other features it will cost more.

I've got a Field and Stream one. Bought it off a guy who's grandfather got it from some box store about thirty years ago. Moved it into the basement which sort of bit me because it is so damp in there. I have the dehumidifier going full bore just to keep it reasonable. And that safe is NOT coming back upstairs. No way. That took three of us to barely make it down there.

Thief proof? Not at all. If anything, keeps the kiddo out. Not a bad thing to have a place to set things away and locked up. I did rig up some LED lighting strips to a magnetic switch to light it up. Came out great.

The Liberty safes are OK for what they are. They won't stop a determined pro with tools and time though.
1. Take the number on the safe (# of guns advertised) and half it. That's how many long guns it will really hold.
2. Have it bolted down. If you watched the ease with which pros can move one of those around, you will bolt it down.
3. Hidden is better. The fewer people who know it's there the better your chances are.

This thread cost/saved me some $ today. Been eying the Liberty Fatboy Jr’s For awhile but they never go on sale, it’s been hard to pull the trigger at $1,700+ tax. Saw the Liberty USA 50 at TSC a few weeks ago for $1,300, it’s basically the same deal with a layer less of drywall inside. Pulled up their site today after reading this and it was on sale for $1,099. Went and picked it up, it’s now sitting in the office.

Got it moved in on a dolly with the help of my FIL by taking the interior panels out and the door off. Ordered the electrical outlet kit I have to install before I can bolt it down, and I’m probably going to rebuild the gun rack on the large side. Three rows deep of slots makes it a PITA to get stuff out, and I’m not near max capacity yet.

6BC302E1-288B-4969-AD67-B9755FD1557A.jpeg

bearsafes.com

:smokin:

Awesome local company to me, and the prices are almost reasonable. I love that their store has a bunch of RSC's in it so you can see why theirs are better.

The Liberty safes are OK for what they are. They won't stop a determined pro with tools and time though.
1. Take the number on the safe (# of guns advertised) and half it. That's how many long guns it will really hold.
2. Have it bolted down. If you watched the ease with which pros can move one of those around, you will bolt it down.
3. Hidden is better. The fewer people who know it's there the better your chances are.

3 is the key. Hide the sum bitch. Time will defeat pretty much any safe. If you have an alarm, and your safe is hidden, good chance you win. If you shit is in the wide open and they have 3 hrs, you will most likely have an insurance claim

3 is the key. Hide the sum bitch. Time will defeat pretty much any safe. If you have an alarm, and your safe is hidden, good chance you win. If you shit is in the wide open and they have 3 hrs, you will most likely have an insurance claim

Yeah mine is going to be hidden in a set of built ins for storing all my camping and hunting gear. Where it’s sitting in the office it’s right in front of a full length, 6’ wide window, we’re set back about 35 yards off the main road in our neighborhood. Due to the slope of the front yard, height of the foundation, and window screens, you actually can’t see it from the road, but it would freak a thief out having to work on it in plain view with a bunch of cars driving by hopefully.

I have a fatboy JR for about 6 years now. Hasn't given me any trouble.

Keep it in a closet that it just barely fits in with a code locked door. Keeping it in a tight space where a potential thief can't get to the sides will help a lot, but it is still only a deterent.

Need to get another one for my reloading room.

I've had my fat boy Jr for a few years now its a great safe so far with plenty of room. The thing i liked was the 1 hr fire rating. With the key pad just make sure you keep a extra 9 volt around.

I've had my fat boy Jr for a few years now its a great safe so far with plenty of room. The thing i liked was the 1 hr fire rating. With the key pad just make sure you keep a extra 9 volt around.

Considering most fire/co2/CO detectors also take 9v, usually it is a good idea to keep 10-15 of them around.

Top Back Refresh