What's new

trust for supressors

The booster allows the pistol to cycle with the added weight of the can. The only cans that you need to disassemble for cleaning are rimfire cans. Most center fire silencers are sealed units.
So do all pistols require boosters? Exactly what does the booster look like? I never saw a booster on James Bond.

They aren’t used on pistols with fixed barrels. My Sig P322 is fixed.

Attachments

• 079E6D03-131F-4FE1-B016-BA54E7C1D71C.jpeg
    079E6D03-131F-4FE1-B016-BA54E7C1D71C.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 5
Any browning tilTing barrel action will require a booster. Makarov, h&k p7, some walthers have fixed barrels, desert eagles have fixed barrels as well. Most of the pistols you would want to suppress will require a booster. Glock, 1911, cz 75, fn, ect.
My suppressed p322 with an oss rad22 is an absolute blast to shoot. Suppressed 22 with subsonic ammo is Hollywood quiet and ideal for pests around the property. Can hand it to anyone and they can shoot it without noise or recoil concerns.
The atf can come and inspect if they want, but if they want to pay you a visit they will wether you have an nfa item or not. Just ask David koresh, or randy weaver.

So I went to my local gun shop to ask about shipping to him. His fee for a gun is $40, but for a can, it’s $200. I said you mean the stamp? He says “no, the stamp is also $200. Does that sound right? He had “Gen Tex” suppressors there. He said he could completely set me up for all my guns with one for about $1500. The wait is about one year. He said he expects the wait to go longer because of the brace BS. Does this sound correct?

So I went to my local gun shop to ask about shipping to him. His fee for a gun is $40, but for a can, it’s $200. I said you mean the stamp? He says “no, the stamp is also $200. Does that sound right? He had “Gen Tex” suppressors there. He said he could completely set me up for all my guns with one for about $1500. The wait is about one year. He said he expects the wait to go longer because of the brace BS. Does this sound correct?
sound correct?? No. F that guy. He is screwing people.

It sounds like he trying to take advantage of those who are unfamiliar with the process. Find someone else.

$40 normal transfers? Fudd shop.

Around here its $10-20 for normal transfers and $50-100 for class 3 transfers. Typically if you do it through one of their dealer networks - eg Silencershop - that fee is waived.

Never heard of Gen Tex, but for $1500 that better include muzzle devices for all the firearms and maybe install also. You can get a good multi-cal can for $750-1200

$40 normal transfers? Fudd shop.

Around here its $10-20 for normal transfers and $50-100 for class 3 transfers. Typically if you do it through one of their dealer networks - eg Silencershop - that fee is waived.

Never heard of Gen Tex, but for $1500 that better include muzzle devices for all the firearms and maybe install also. You can get a good multi-cal can for $750-1200

Yes the $1500 included a whole set of pistons that he said covers 90 % of the hand guns. Gen Tex might not be the exact name. This guy is pretty good for price on guns around here. Strange he is so high for this. (I haven’t checked any other shop yet) I have a friend that owns a gun shop, but he is higher priced on guns. I haven’t asked him about it. The problem with him is he doesn’t actually run his gun shop. (He’s rich and has his fingers in all kinds of stuff.)

Is the year wait the going time right now?

Yes the $1500 included a whole set of pistons that he said covers 90 % of the hand guns. Gen Tex might not be the exact name. This guy is pretty good for price on guns around here. Strange he is so high for this. (I haven’t checked any other shop yet) I have a friend that owns a gun shop, but he is higher priced on guns. I haven’t asked him about it. The problem with him is he doesn’t actually run his gun shop. (He’s rich and has his fingers in all kinds of stuff.)

Is the year wait the going time right now?
You should really only need 1-3 pistons - 1/2-28, 5/8-24 and a fixed unless you have some strange stuff. Then you will want some type of QD system for rifles - if you get a can that is the industry standard HUB thread (1.375x24) then you are open to almost any system other than a few manufacturers

Someone here will tell me I'm an idiot, but cans on pistols are ok but rifles/smgs are where they really shine.

Probubly, I wasn’t really interested in that can. I just wanted to see what total price he came up with. If I order from Capital Armory, I have to add $200 for this guy to process it.
When I do out of state transfers from Capitol Armory it is $100. I’m in Las Vegas. I’ve bought multiple cans from them.

Last edited:
You should really only need 1-3 pistons - 1/2-28, 5/8-24 and a fixed unless you have some strange stuff. Then you will want some type of QD system for rifles - if you get a can that is the industry standard HUB thread (1.375x24) then you are open to almost any system other than a few manufacturers

Someone here will tell me I'm an idiot, but cans on pistols are ok but rifles/smgs are where they really shine.
You're not really an idiot but I think it can be stated a little clearer. Cans work best on rounds that are subsonic. A lot of pistols fall into that, lots of sub guns do too. Almost all rifles don't that aren't pistol calibers.

That said pistol cans add a lot of weight to the gun and are really dirty. Rifles get dirty too if they are DI or gas operated but bolt actions are really great for suppression. Still have sonic crack but sound report at the ears is greatly diminished and also down range. Really hard to pin down direction of shot and just muffles it really well.

So lets say I set up a trust and buy a can and wait the year. Now I’m all leagal and decide I want another. Can I just walk in a store and buy it? Or do I got to wait again?

So lets say I set up a trust and buy a can and wait the year. Now I’m all leagal and decide I want another. Can I just walk in a store and buy it? Or do I got to wait again?
You have to do the whole process over again. Except that you can put the new one on the trust you already created.

One tax stamp per NFA item.

You're not really an idiot but I think it can be stated a little clearer. Cans work best on rounds that are subsonic. A lot of pistols fall into that, lots of sub guns do too. Almost all rifles don't that aren't pistol calibers.

That said pistol cans add a lot of weight to the gun and are really dirty. Rifles get dirty too if they are DI or gas operated but bolt actions are really great for suppression. Still have sonic crack but sound report at the ears is greatly diminished and also down range. Really hard to pin down direction of shot and just muffles it really well.

I didn't really want to get into the why. Just stick with the end result

Also the heat issue - can's get hot. Really friggen hot. After you shoot a pistol you have to deal with it. There isn't really a reholster option that doesn't involve the risk of burning leg hair or pants. So now you have a relatively short item where half of it is hot enough that you need to be very careful. It's far easier to deal with a rifle or subgun with a hot can since you can keep it at a distance and use both hands.

The balance thing is big. Cans add a lot of relative mass to the pistol and unless you have something like a osprey will cause issues with normal sights.

And another one - QD muzzle devices on pistols are really a no-go other than a few specific ones. So you are dealing with direct thread and some of the headaches and risks that come with it. Where rifles and subguns can be setup for any number of different systems (feel free to debate those into the ground)

For pistols nothing beats a short 22lr like a ruger Mk with a small diameter can. Tons of fun. But while there are issues with the maxim 9 its really the end game format for a supressed pistol rather than taking a normal gun and adding a can to it.

Suppressed .22lr is just plain fun. I ran several hundred rounds through my sbr and my P322 this morning. CCI quiet semi auto is mouse fart quiet. I was running bulk pack shit through it but because of the reliability of it I switched to CCI. Its worth the extra 2 cents a round. I still run bulk pack through it occasionally. Just to remind me how shitty it is.

Attachments

• 3A392FDA-3095-44EB-9CD6-2B7F529C9205.jpeg
    3A392FDA-3095-44EB-9CD6-2B7F529C9205.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Screwing people ?
Not at all, thats an "I don't want to do your transfer'" price. Nothing wrong with that

I guess that’s one way of looking at it, why even be a class 3 dealer then? Most of them don’t want to hold a ton of inventory for somebody to come in and want basically the same can from another manufacturer. Ordering cans through silencer shop, capital armory, bauer precision, is extremely common.

I was going to say that another possibility is that he’s never actually done a suppressor sale that way and he assumed it is the $200 transfer fee for an existing NFA item to him as a dealer, and then the $200 tax stamp to the customer. Not sure you’d want to use him if that’s the case though. Really easy to screw up something and find out you weren’t actually waiting for the 9 months, you weren’t even standing in line…

One thing I’ve noticed when shops quit doing transfers, or set ~ $100 prices for them is many of them close within a year later. I‘m sure it’s a pain and not “worth it“ but they don’t account for guys coming in and buying ammo, parts, cases, other guns, etc. When you quit doing transfers as a small shop with low inventory, you’re basically telling your customers to find a new gun shop…

WaterH IIRC, you’re not terribly far from Tallahassee. The dealer I use is Talon in Midway. They are experienced, have some cans in stock, and can give advice and walk you through the process. They also have a Silencer shop kiosk so you can do fingerprints there and no transfer fee if you order one of the cans through the website. They will accept transfers from other dealers though if you don’t want to support SS or they don’t have what you want.

Their number is 597-7550

The other really nice thing is they have a great range on site and you can shoot your stuff there while it’s “in jail”.

It’w worth asking if you could do everything in one step, but I think you may have to do the fingerprints, photo, etc, before they will ship the can to them. Then you have to ”certify it” when the can comes in, which I believe can be done online if you don’t care about seeing it. From that point you can shoot it there until you can take it home.

To those that own one. How much degraded is it when you shoot a different caliper through it. For example, shooting a 9mm through a .45 can. Twice as loud or just a bit louder?
I run an Omega 300 with the 30 cal end cap (it measures BIG, like .400”+ off memory) on a 14.5” 5.56 AR and it’s surprisingly quiet. To my ear, I didn’t notice a difference with the .556 end cap. I keep the big end cap on so I can swap it around without worrying about making a mistake.

Top Back Refresh