What's new

trust for supressors

pwerrec

Member Number
I have searched here for suppressor info, and I'm sold on the trust concept. Who have folks used to establish the trust? I google and see results that sound good but looking for real world recommendations. I have a friend who can notarize.

Buy from silencer shop. They have everything and it’s like $25 for the trust paperwork and you file all electronically. No affiliation, but have used their services, and been reasonably happy

Is that all online? I have an acquaintance/dealer who will give me his price on things. Markup isn't much on them, but I will likely go through him.

Is there a way I can register it to a trust and not give my name or address? I’ve heard that if you have liciense for a machine gun, you are signing a search warrant for your property. Is this true for a suppressor?

Is there a way I can register it to a trust and not give my name or address? I’ve heard that if you have liciense for a machine gun, you are signing a search warrant for your property. Is this true for a suppressor?
I had a lawyer set my trust up for like $100. It was super quick and painless. I just paid it to be done with it.
The stamps vs search warrant thing is kind of lore. If they want to search your house, they can search your house with a warrant, with or without a stamp to your name/trust.

Buy from silencer shop. They have everything and it’s like $25 for the trust paperwork and you file all electronically. No affiliation, but have used their services, and been reasonably happy

after several dissatisfied transactions with silencer shop, going back to the time before they lost out being dealers for really big companies, and before they destroyed the efile system the first time because they are dicks, and if you follow how inept they are now and that they are injecting themselves as 3rd party in transfers, id never recommend anyone use them. ever.

Capital Armory is much better.

id also get a lawyer to draw up the trust. its worth the extra 50-100 bucks.

after several dissatisfied transactions with silencer shop, going back to the time before they lost out being dealers for really big companies, and before they destroyed the efile system the first time because they are dicks, and if you follow how inept they are now and that they are injecting themselves as 3rd party in transfers, id never recommend anyone use them. ever.

Capital Armory is much better.

id also get a lawyer to draw up the trust. its worth the extra 50-100 bucks.
All of this. Fuck Silencer Shop. Right in their asshole with a broken broom handle. I’ve been using Capitol Armory for years now.

Damn, my friend lives in Austin and has literally a dozen transactions with them without a prob, and I’m on my second one. Maybe I’ll try Capitol Armory next time.

My first, and only, action with Silencer Shop was one of the worst experiences I suffered through. Never again.

You might be thinking of a FFL/SOT7. There is no "license" to posses a transferrable machine gun unless you transfer them. In that case the ATF knows which side of the bed you sleep on for a no-knock raid. Possessing a machine gun is the same as possessing a suppressor, $200 tax stamp.

Damn, my friend lives in Austin and has literally a dozen transactions with them without a prob, and I’m on my second one. Maybe I’ll try Capitol Armory next time.

I did about 3 back when they were still actually a shop, not just some distributor or whatever their ridiculous business model has morphed into after they burned a ton of bridges with manufacturers.

After they blew it hard with a custom order from tbac that because of their stupidity and arrogance cost me another 4 months wait back when waits were about 4 months, and then the condescension from their counter staff when I picked up my last order from them, I said no more.

And all my personal experience has been repeated with thousands of people and the way SS has done business, screwed people, and fucked us out of the original eforms system , they are Austin asshole condescending douches who I don't give a rats ass to ever do business with again.

Seems I recall the last time this subject came up that they no longer allow a tax stamp for me to make my own suppressor. I can only buy one made by a big manufacturer. Is this still true? If so, is there any law that it can’t be modified in any way? I know a suppressor will work on a different caliber (as long as it’s smaller, obviously). Do you have to identify Any/every gun you intend to put it on? What I’m asking is if I buy a .45 suppressor, do I just tell them I have a .45 colt? Or do I have to give serial number? If I put it on a 9 Glock, does it matter? Is the thread adapter part of the suppressor?

Once you have the stamp, is there any problem CCing it?

You cannot manufacture a silencer anymore. ATF ruled that anything used to manufacture a silencer was already a silencer. You are only registering the suppressor. They do not give a fuck what it’s going on. You cannot modify the bore of a silencer. If it’s a .30 cal it stays a .30 cal. Some cans are modular like my Omega 36. It comes with a 36 cal endcap but I can swap it out for .30 cal or .22 cal end caps. Yes you can conceal carry if you want. The adapter is not part of the can. Those can be changed out.

To those that own one. How much degraded is it when you shoot a different caliper through it. For example, shooting a 9mm through a .45 can. Twice as loud or just a bit louder?

Hard to say. My 16 inch M1A through my Omega 36 is way more quiet than no can at all. SilencerCo says adding the proper sized end cap only brings the decibels down several points.

Attachments

• 9ED9ECD4-88E7-41A5-B3D2-6CAD517D0FB1.png
    9ED9ECD4-88E7-41A5-B3D2-6CAD517D0FB1.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 9
There are youtube videos where they measure the decibels and I think the consensus is that the difference wouldn't be perceptible to your ear.

There are youtube videos where they measure the decibels and I think the consensus is that the difference wouldn't be perceptible to your ear.

Go to NFATALK.org
They have legit meters and there are results for most any combo you can imagine. That info is available for anyone to look at.

I bought mine through gun trust guru. Over all it was pretty easy and they will modify it later if you need to. My dealer has a SS kiosk and I uploaded my trust through the kiosk. The problem with the SS trusts is you can’t add more things later so if you want multiple items, you end up with multiple trusts.

I bought mine through gun trust guru. Over all it was pretty easy and they will modify it later if you need to. My dealer has a SS kiosk and I uploaded my trust through the kiosk. The problem with the SS trusts is you can’t add more things later so if you want multiple items, you end up with multiple trusts.
Are you talking about silencer shop? I have not heard that you cant modify a trust.

Are you talking about silencer shop? I have not heard that you cant modify a trust.
Yeah. Silencer shop. Seems like when I was looking into it, their trusts were set up to be one item per trust. Maybe I’m wrong.

So, can I get a trust and get a tax stamp and then go shopping for a can? Or do you have to pick out the can first?

Last edited:
Pretty sure they call it a Single Shot Trust.

Another dumb shit idea that people think is actually good.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

So, can I get a trust and get a tax stamp and then go shopping for a can? Or do you have to pick out the can first?
You have to have the SN off the can before you can get the stamp. You can have the trust before the can or you can pick out the can before the trust, either way those two have to be done before you send off for the stamp.

Thought I would reopen this thread. I’ve decided to get a trust and suppressor. Based on comments, I’m going to use Capital Armory for everything. So I guess my next step is to pick out a can. I have no clue wich one. I don’t plan to get multiple cans. I want one that will be for .45 and I will adapt it for .40 and 9mm. I don’t really care about price.

Which one should I get?

PS, when I do the trust, do I list everyone I want to be part of it? I mean, my wife has my name, but my son in law doesn’t. If I list him as part of the trust, does he have to supply fingerprints?

Rugged or Dead Air.

Everyone you list as party to the trust, not beneficiaries, has to fill out a Responsible Persons Form. That means picture and fingerprints.

Thought I would reopen this thread. I’ve decided to get a trust and suppressor. Based on comments, I’m going to use Capital Armory for everything. So I guess my next step is to pick out a can. I have no clue wich one. I don’t plan to get multiple cans. I want one that will be for .45 and I will adapt it for .40 and 9mm. I don’t really care about price.

Which one should I get?

PS, when I do the trust, do I list everyone I want to be part of it? I mean, my wife has my name, but my son in law doesn’t. If I list him as part of the trust, does he have to supply fingerprints?

SilencerCo Hybrid 46. Has a .46 bore and interchangeable end caps for different calibers. It’s also modular so you can shorten it by 2 inches for pistol use.

SilencerCo Hybrid 46. Has a .46 bore and interchangeable end caps for different calibers. It’s also modular so you can shorten it by 2 inches for pistol use.
Hate to appear dense, but what is a pistol booster? (Requires piston)

I notice it says “not disassemble-able”. Is this concerning?

Hate to appear dense, but what is a pistol booster? (Requires piston)

I notice it says “not disassemble-able”. Is this concerning?
The booster allows the pistol to cycle with the added weight of the can. The only cans that you need to disassemble for cleaning are rimfire cans. Most center fire silencers are sealed units.

Top Back Refresh