What's new

Truck equivalent of SxS build

Domer

Yup.. it's Broken...
Member Number
Loc
Idaho
My wife wants a SxS, but I refuse to pay the outrageous price of one. So I am looking into building the equivalent of one but in a truck.. My wife likes the aspect of getting in one and throwing it in gear and hammering the throttle. We are a family of 4, but also host foreign exchange student during the school year. So a 5 seater is a must. Heres my idea, I have a 1st gen explorer, It has an Autofab 16" kit on it right now. Deavers in the rear with 17"x2.5 Bilstiens, 33's, 4.88 gears. Dana 35 TTB up front, and 8.8 out back. Suspension is pretty good, need to finish dialing in shocks, but overall pretty solid. My plan is to gut the truck, cage it, put in PRP seats, buckets up front, bench in rear(I have the seats). and stuff an LS in it, with an auto trans. Keeping it 4x4 as we live in Idaho and would use it year round. With a few engine upgrades, I feel like I could get the Power/weight ratio of a SxS. In my mind, it seems like a solid plan. Plus its street legal everywhere. Feel free to chime in with better ideas or poke holes in my plan. This truck would be used in the mountains, open desert, and sand.
Explorer.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable...Id make it as light as possible. Dont overdue it with the tons of .120 tubing etc. id venture to say the money spent on a SXS could get come nice suspenion on that thing...

Doing the same thing, for almost the same reason. Got a 2 seat RZR, but need more seats for exchange students…. I bought a Jeep XJ. My wife is not so worried about shifting, but may do an auto tranny in it. I figure I could put $10k into a jeep and have a kick ass rig, but $10k rzr is a narrow trail rig, and not be able to really drive on the road.

Sounds reasonable...Id make it as light as possible. Dont overdue it with the tons of .120 tubing etc. id venture to say the money spent on a SXS could get come nice suspenion on that thing...
Most definitely on the suspension. but have limitations. I want to keep it narrower, so going to a full size Dana 44 TTB isnt really feasible. And for the rear, going to trailing arms involves shocks coming up through the floor where the seats are.. so I probably wont change much suspension wise other than shock work. Still figuring out cage design, as i dont want alot, but do need to mount seats and harnesses to it.

why repower it? seems like a coilover conversion in the front is all it needs
Even with the warmed over 4.0 I'm not happy. plus the a4ld is dieing.. So an LS swap sounds better. Plus I have Hptuners, and can do the computer work. so that saves me alot. It doesnt even really need coilovers in the front. I wouldnt gain a whole lot as I am still 4x4 and TTB 35.

Have you driven a modern SxS? I have driven a lot of SxS and only ridden in a few long travel trucks. In my opinion you're gonna need a lot of suspension upgrades to get to the point where your wife can "get in and throw it in gear and hammer the throttle".

I think it's a cool concept for a build, but to me it seems to be a capable trail rig designed for your use, not a replacement for a SxS. Nothing wrong with that.

I find my wife will sometimes want something, and I'll think of something that I could build that would be more useful, more unique, or cheaper than what she had in mind. In the end, I should have just bought the thing she wanted.

As for the specifics of the truck, if you want a warmed up LS, then I wouldn't plan on staying D35 front forever. I know you say you wan to stay narrow, but I've been in a TTB44 ranger that worked really well, and wasn't that wide. I went down that path on my last build, narrowed a HP44 for an S10. New rig has a full width D60, and I'm way happier.

Even with the warmed over 4.0 I'm not happy. plus the a4ld is dieing.. So an LS swap sounds better. Plus I have Hptuners, and can do the computer work. so that saves me alot. It doesnt even really need coilovers in the front. I wouldnt gain a whole lot as I am still 4x4 and TTB 35.

adding an LS introduces drivetrain reliability issues.

you need to get that sway out of the the front and get a real shock in there

go check that thread out, dude did tons of miles exploring in it.

Last edited:
Have you driven a modern SxS? I have driven a lot of SxS and only ridden in a few long travel trucks. In my opinion you're gonna need a lot of suspension upgrades to get to the point where your wife can "get in and throw it in gear and hammer the throttle".

I think it's a cool concept for a build, but to me it seems to be a capable trail rig designed for your use, not a replacement for a SxS. Nothing wrong with that.

I find my wife will sometimes want something, and I'll think of something that I could build that would be more useful, more unique, or cheaper than what she had in mind. In the end, I should have just bought the thing she wanted.

As for the specifics of the truck, if you want a warmed up LS, then I wouldn't plan on staying D35 front forever. I know you say you wan to stay narrow, but I've been in a TTB44 ranger that worked really well, and wasn't that wide. I went down that path on my last build, narrowed a HP44 for an S10. New rig has a full width D60, and I'm way happier.
$30K plus is a very steep price tag.. plus all the accessories and their rediculous price tags. yes i agree, they are nice rides.. but fitting 5 people in one sucks. 4 is pushing it. I want it to be good all around rig, that my wife is comfortable driving. Unfortuntately i know her driving style... Ill look more into the D44 parts. just dont want another 80"+ wide rig.. Already have that with the Dakota on tons and 40's.

adding an LS introduces drivetrain reliability issues.

you need to get that sway out of the the front and get a real shock in there
I figured it will eventually yes.. ill start with a 5.3 and a tune, then go from there. Those are original Gen 1 Race runners and have been rebuilt, Just need to finish dialing them in. Also have the ability to add a 14" travel shock to the front of the Arm that i have also.

You'll need a lot of work, time, and money to even touch a stock sxs. Especially talking about engine swaps and stuff. I would look around at used sxs, or drive some. I guess it depends on exactly what you're trying to do, but a sxs is extremely capable for the money. If you're looking to build something, by all means build the explorer, if you're looking for a reliable and easy to maintain toy so you can go have fun, a sxs is very hard to beat.

I figured it will eventually yes.. ill start with a 5.3 and a tune, then go from there. Those are original Gen 1 Race runners and have been rebuilt, Just need to finish dialing them in. Also have the ability to add a 14" travel shock to the front of the Arm that i have also.

at least a 12 stack on compression and 8 stack on rebound, single bleed. good luck

You'll need a lot of work, time, and money to even touch a stock sxs. Especially talking about engine swaps and stuff. I would look around at used sxs, or drive some. I guess it depends on exactly what you're trying to do, but a sxs is extremely capable for the money. If you're looking to build something, by all means build the explorer, if you're looking for a reliable and easy to maintain toy so you can go have fun, a sxs is very hard to beat.
Oh I understand that completely. You do get alot with a SxS, but frankly the money isn't there for one.. Just a built a new house, and have other priorities for $30K + first. Parting out 1 project to fund what I need for the Explorer. It has good suspension under it. Just need refinements, and can do 50+ through the desert and doesn't jar you.

at least a 12 stack on compression and 8 stack on rebound, single bleed. good luck
Thanks for the info. When i get back to it, ill have to pull out my shock book and see where i currently am on Shims. I know im on a single hole free bleed. But do need to add more compression to it.

5 people in a 1st gen exploder doesn't suck? Especially one being driven like its a SxS? :homer:
5 in a SxS is terrible.I have a nice wide PRP bench seat to stuff 3 kids in. and PRP Comps for up front.

If you want to talk about a V8 TTB explorer build, I think you should re-name your thread. I think people would be into that, and not lost in the false equivalency of a long travel SUV vs a SxS.

What about buying a 2 seat, naturally aspirated, XP1000 (or XP900), and following them with the Dakota? Every husband and wife combo that I know of where the wife likes to drive, has eventually ended up with his/hers rigs. My wife is happier in the passenger seat.

5 in a SxS is terrible.I have a nice wide PRP bench seat to stuff 3 kids in. and PRP Comps for up front.
Will that bench fit in the exploder? With the doors shut?

What about buying a 2 seat, naturally aspirated, XP1000 (or XP900), and following them with the Dakota? Every husband and wife combo that I know of where the wife likes to drive, has eventually ended up with his/hers rigs. My wife is happier in the passenger seat.
Probably the best bet. some decent deals on used SxS up here. People buy them and then don't use them much and sell couple years later

If you want to talk about a V8 TTB explorer build, I think you should re-name your thread. I think people would be into that, and not lost in the false equivalency of a long travel SUV vs a SxS.

What about buying a 2 seat, naturally aspirated, XP1000 (or XP900), and following them with the Dakota? Every husband and wife combo that I know of where the wife likes to drive, has eventually ended up with his/hers rigs. My wife is happier in the passenger seat

Ill look at changing the title.. I dont have any interest in buying a SxS really.. My wife is fine either way.. but she likes to drive occasionally. The other caviate is this will be my Daughters first truck most likely when shes older.

Will that bench fit in the exploder? With the doors shut?

Probably the best bet. some decent deals on used SxS up here. People buy them and then don't use them much and sell couple years later
Just barely.. Have to build flat Door panels.. It will be close, but i think they will fit nicely.

Cant figure out how to change the title...

A gutted LS swapped Explorer? :lmao:

It wont be gutted.. It will have a full dash with heat and A/C. Interior panels and sound deadening.. Just going to gut it to start over and build it how I want. Not work around old sun baked plastics. My daughter is tough.. but that might be drawing the line.. lol.. would be funny though..

It wont be gutted.. It will have a full dash with heat and A/C. Interior panels and sound deadening.. Just going to gut it to start over and build it how I want. Not work around old sun baked plastics. My daughter is tough.. but that might be drawing the line.. lol.. would be funny though..
Sorry, going off the original post.
My plan is to gut the truck, cage it, put in PRP seats, buckets up front, bench in rear(I have the seats). and stuff an LS in it, with an auto trans.
It has the potential to be a cool rig for sure. I think the first post may have misled what some of us believe your expectations to be.

Is there a good reason not to put an aluminum headed 5.0L with an AOD? The factory already had a clean 5.0L template and an aluminum head 5.0 should be lighter than a truck 5.3L and easier to fit. AOD is a decent transmission.

If you want travel and strength how easy would a D44 TTB be to fab underneath the Explorer? Or just use a TJ 44 with a truss? Think the track width of the F150 TTB would be nice, but the TJ 44 would be decent for fitment with regard to width. Maybe a JK 44 someone has already build before they swapped to a 60? I'd assume you're also concerned with weight, if that's the case the solid 44 would probably be better.

By thread title I'd assume you want to do trails at speed?

If you want travel and strength how easy would a D44 TTB be to fab underneath the Explorer?
Years ago there was a guy making pivot brackets to put D44 TTB under D35 Rangers, IDK if 1st gen expo are the same.

IMO I think swapping to D44 TTB knuckles on the D35 beams gains some front end strength to do what he wants.

Is there a good reason not to put an aluminum headed 5.0L with an AOD? The factory already had a clean 5.0L template and an aluminum head 5.0 should be lighter than a truck 5.3L and easier to fit. AOD is a decent transmission.

If you want travel and strength how easy would a D44 TTB be to fab underneath the Explorer? Or just use a TJ 44 with a truss? Think the track width of the F150 TTB would be nice, but the TJ 44 would be decent for fitment with regard to width. Maybe a JK 44 someone has already build before they swapped to a 60? I'd assume you're also concerned with weight, if that's the case the solid 44 would probably be better.

By thread title I'd assume you want to do trails at speed?
I know the LS platforms and tuning them. I suppose the Ford 5.0 is an option. Jsut read that its kind of a pain in the ass though with the research ive done. D44 TTB is wider than i really want once you get it cut and turned and setup for travel like the 35 i have. I have no interest in swapping a solid axle as i want to keep the TTB setup. I have a big Solid axle truck on 40's already.
Weight is an issue.. Id love to find an Aluminum 5.3 engine to stick in there... But not sure how likely that will be. It will be on a trialer behind my motorhome also for longer trips and thats gas powered with limited weight.. so i have to work around that also... Im tiptoeing a fine line between capability and weight...

Years ago there was a guy making pivot brackets to put D44 TTB under D35 Rangers, IDK if 1st gen expo are the same.

IMO I think swapping to D44 TTB knuckles on the D35 beams gains some front end strength to do what he wants.
You are correct.. they still make those brackets as the Explorer is the same. I will probably do that D44 knuckle upgrade for the strength at a minimum as these are notorious week spots.

I know the LS platforms and tuning them. I suppose the Ford 5.0 is an option. Jsut read that its kind of a pain in the ass though with the research ive done. D44 TTB is wider than i really want once you get it cut and turned and setup for travel like the 35 i have. I have no interest in swapping a solid axle as i want to keep the TTB setup. I have a big Solid axle truck on 40's already.
Weight is an issue.. Id love to find an Aluminum 5.3 engine to stick in there... But not sure how likely that will be. It will be on a trialer behind my motorhome also for longer trips and thats gas powered with limited weight.. so i have to work around that also... Im tiptoeing a fine line between capability and weight...
I was thinking 5.0 with a stand-alone ignition/injection setup, didn't figure you'd want to go to the trouble to swap the factory system. Just thought fitting it would be easier. I get the LS love though...

I do like the idea of keeping TTB myself, it's underrated for off road use. Wonder if there's a good way to lighten it up without decreasing strength? Gutting the interior as much as possible to offset the cage will probably help too. Ditching much of the underhood stuff not necessary with either a 5.0L or LS with stand-alone control will reduce weight too. I like light rigs, so if you can put up with a little more noise and a few less creature comforts you can probably offset a lot of the off-road equipment weight.

I was thinking 5.0 with a stand-alone ignition/injection setup, didn't figure you'd want to go to the trouble to swap the factory system. Just thought fitting it would be easier. I get the LS love though...

I do like the idea of keeping TTB myself, it's underrated for off road use. Wonder if there's a good way to lighten it up without decreasing strength? Gutting the interior as much as possible to offset the cage will probably help too. Ditching much of the underhood stuff not necessary with either a 5.0L or LS with stand-alone control will reduce weight too. I like light rigs, so if you can put up with a little more noise and a few less creature comforts you can probably offset a lot of the off-road equipment weight.
The stand alone is a cost I dont need to incur.. Hence the LS. I have HPtuners, and for $100 I can turn everything off I don't need, and clean up the harness my self. Already experienced in that. and I have a guy here that knows how to build a hell of a 4L60 for offroad use. So ideally an aluminum 5.3 (Best case scenario) and a 4l60 with a 231 or 241 case should be reasonable to get.. looking to buy a whole donor truck. keep the swap cost down to a miniumum.. then would just have to build drive shafts and figure out support functions.. (Cooling, heat, a/c, etc..)

And yes, the TTB works very well for what I intend this truck to do.. And is great for going fast..

The stand alone is a cost I dont need to incur.. Hence the LS. I have HPtuners, and for $100 I can turn everything off I don't need, and clean up the harness my self. Already experienced in that. and I have a guy here that knows how to build a hell of a 4L60 for offroad use. So ideally an aluminum 5.3 (Best case scenario) and a 4l60 with a 231 or 241 case should be reasonable to get.. looking to buy a whole donor truck. keep the swap cost down to a miniumum.. then would just have to build drive shafts and figure out support functions.. (Cooling, heat, a/c, etc..)

And yes, the TTB works very well for what I intend this truck to do.. And is great for going fast..
How wides a 231/241 case? Frames on these are narrow. My 208 is tucked in the C of the frame :laughing:

Top Back Refresh