What's new

Truck bed topper needs parts

clodhopper

Get off my lawn, punk!
Member Number
Loc
Out on the plains, Colorado
We have a bunch of trucks at work that have toppers. Dumfuk new guy, who has now been fired, managed to break the rear glass and decided to take off the rear window frame and throw it away without telling anyone. Trying to get a new rear window with frame has been a huge challenge.

Anyone know of a place that will make a new rear window? I figure they will need opening dimensions and stuff. I have no idea where to get the extrusions to do it myself.

Piano hinge and a chunk of 1/4" lexan cut to size with a router. Rivet it on, drill a couple holes for handles and done.

Popped the back window on my Leer, $800 and change for the window and frame from the local dealer, not sold separately.
Fuck that.
Wasted $200 at the local glass shop for the shittiest glass I've ever seen. Never again.

Unless it’s a formed glass window they all use the same aluminum extrusions. Should be easy to replicate

Find a $50 craigslist special and grab the hatch... toss it back on craigslist for $50.

Free window.

Piano hinge and a chunk of 1/4" lexan cut to size with a router. Rivet it on, drill a couple holes for handles and done.

Popped the back window on my Leer, $800 and change for the window and frame from the local dealer, not sold separately.
Fuck that.
Wasted $200 at the local glass shop for the shittiest glass I've ever seen. Never again.

Truck inna parking lot had sheet of aluminum diamond plate riveted in. Seem more durable, possibly more secure, out of sight out of mind

Unless it’s a formed glass window they all use the same aluminum extrusions. Should be easy to replicate

this.
check the RV supply houses for the edge extrusion, use some thick lexan, cut to chape, rivet on extrusion, install handles.

Are we supposed to guess who makes the top, what make and model truck its for, ect?

Brian468 said:
you gotta guess the window dimensions too dumbass

Rubirunner85 said:
The wrong guy got fired :flipoff2:

Jesus, who opened the can of assholes? Maybe I forgot to translate to Irate language.

Quick recap... "Trying to get a new rear window with frame has been a huge challenge." It is a Jason brand topper, Pace model. Ya think we havent already tried to get one through the dealer AND the manufacturer? Jebus fuk guys. Found a couple places online that could make one, but are across the country and they refuse to ship. No options on Craigs to get a window and scrap the rest. Brand new full replacement topper is almost 2000bucks. Company vehicle so a piano hinged piece of scab on shit wont fly. Fukin kindergarten around here sometimes with the "looky my 2 cents" crowd.

For the crayon chewing window lickers: Do you know someone that can make a frame if I provide dimensions?

Better? :flipoff2:

Jesus, who opened the can of assholes? Maybe I forgot to translate to Irate language.

Quick recap... "Trying to get a new rear window with frame has been a huge challenge." It is a Jason brand topper, Pace model. Ya think we havent already tried to get one through the dealer AND the manufacturer? Jebus fuk guys. Found a couple places online that could make one, but are across the country and they refuse to ship. No options on Craigs to get a window and scrap the rest. Brand new full replacement topper is almost 2000bucks. Company vehicle so a piano hinged piece of scab on shit wont fly. Fukin kindergarten around here sometimes with the "looky my 2 cents" crowd.

For the crayon chewing window lickers: Do you know someone that can make a frame if I provide dimensions?

Better? :flipoff2:

Maybe the guy that got fired knew it couldn't be fixed :laughing:

The guy short on details, thats who...

Sounds like your company is buying a new topper since it sounds like nobody knows how to fab anything cleanly and whatever company thats rolling around in pickups with toppers and has nobody with some cutting ability probably would be better off with mini vans. :flipoff2:

At least its more.

Sounds like your company is buying a new topper since it sounds like nobody knows how to fab anything cleanly and whatever company thats rolling around in pickups with toppers and has nobody with some cutting ability probably would be better off with mini vans.

Well, we are trying to avoid buying a whole new topper if possible.

It is an engineering company so, you are right, no one knows how to fabricate a new one. Well, I do, but I need a source for the extrusions to do it. Still haven't heard a suggested source from anyone. Even that GM Guy is short on ideas.:flipoff2:

Well, we are trying to avoid buying a whole new topper if possible.

It is an engineering company so, you are right, no one knows how to fabricate a new one. Well, I do, but I need a source for the extrusions to do it. Still haven't heard a suggested source from anyone. Even that GM Guy is short on ideas.:flipoff2:

maybe if you posted a picture of what you were looking for you'd actuall get results

but I already told you to check the RV parts websites for window extrusions.
:flipoff2:

So the manufacturer told you to pound sand when you called & asked them for a replacement rear hatch??? You guys can’t be the first ones to trash one.

it looks like you need a radius cap window Based on these pics: https://www.jasoncaps.com/truck-caps...ace-truck-cap/

The doors appear to be made relatively standardized, but a web search seems to produce only manufacturers who sell only to distributors/ businesses.

Sizes: http://www.provent-windows.com/pages...hellmodels.htm <—those guys say to email them for a list of their distributors.

measurement how to here: http://www.parkin-acc.com/page28.html

if you’re looking for extrusion only, I’d look for a window manufacturer local to you.

So the manufacturer told you to pound sand when you called & asked them for a replacement rear hatch??? You guys can’t be the first ones to trash one.

Exactly what I thought, but we are now in contact with a third dealer in another city as the first two both said "Sure no problem, lemme contact so and so will get right back..." and then when we call back were given a long line about how it is hard to actually get replacements and such.

The doors appear to be made relatively standardized, but a web search seems to produce only manufacturers who sell only to distributors/ businesses.

Sizes: http://www.provent-windows.com/pages...hellmodels.htm <—those guys say to email them for a list of their distributors.

measurement how to here: http://www.parkin-acc.com/page28.html

Awesome! I will run those down to see what they can do for us.

if you’re looking for extrusion only, I’d look for a window manufacturer local to you.

Well, I wasnt really wanting to build a window from scratch, but as difficult as it has been with trying to get a complete window, it was the fall back position.

There's an abandoned topper at my work but since you can't be bothered to post pics I won't have to go look at it. You probably can't be bothered to drive 100 miles to pick it up either.

Here is a picture of what I am dealing with. Also a picture of a similar rear hatch door.

20210308_111215.jpg

20210308_111243.jpg

The one left here has a higher profile so the back window would go a few inches down past the top of the tailgate if the top was even close to the right width. Eagle brand. Whole thing is green and missing a side window.

The one left here has a higher profile so the back window would go a few inches down past the top of the tailgate if the top was even close to the right width. Eagle brand. Whole thing is green and missing a side window.

I do appreciate the offer, and the drive isnt really that far. But the window needs to fit right so it can be latched/locked, so yours really wont fit what we need.

In a researching call today to another option, we found out that Jason toppers was bought out recently, which I take to mean they were absorbed by another manufacturer. That leaves me thinking the chances of getting a replacement door just went to almost nil and explains why it has been so difficult so far.

Top Back Refresh