What's new

Truck bed Cargo unloader

Xicor

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Are these things worth a damn?

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-...der-60800.html

I have about 15 trips to the dump left to get this shop cleaned out. Current process is back the truck in on the ground floor, throw piles of junk into the bed of the truck, drive to dump and spend too much time unloading as its now all crushed together from being loaded from the 2nd story.

A roll off is an option pending i could push it in on the ground floor empty and be able to drag it back out once loaded with the tractor. If I stay with the pickup....

Are these useful for anything other than a load of bark? I figure ~1k lbs per load and if I look half as happy at the dump as this guy does in the stock photo its a win.

I can't remember who the orignal manufacture was IIRC they came out in the 80s I know I always wanted one

I got one at a Thrift store for 20 or 25 bucks, I don''t remember for sure. It was like new. I've used it for more rock than the guy had in that picture and a huge load of woodchips and it totally kicked ass at unloading in a hurry. Random stuff I guess you'd have to plan for the wheelwells. Overall mine was well worth it . Took way over an hour to shovel the trailer full, emptied it in 5 minutes counting sweeping.

Go rent a 14ft 14k gvw hyd dump trailer. Pile it full, then just back in at the dump amd push a button.

I was just about to suggest renting a dump trailer. Forget 15 truck loads. (do they charge you per load at the dump? They do here...would probably save money overall by renting a trailer and making one trip)

Rent dump trailer. Lucky for me a buddy has one I can borrow.

Rent a freaking dumpster and be done with it all at once.

Story time:homer:

When I was young and dumb I needed to haul a few yards of gravel for a driveway. I had seen these devices and they were pretty new and expensive at the time. I figured I could do it one better on my own. I threw down an old tarp into the bed of my truck and wrapped one end around a piece of pipe, then I attached ropes to that and went for my first load.

I get home back up to where I want the gravel dumped and tie off the ropes to a tree, I figure I'll pull ahead and viola the tarp will pull the gravel out.

I put the truck in gear, stab the gas and swoosh...

Tarp on the ground and gravel still in the box.

My buddy told me it looked just like when a guy would whip out a table cloth from under a full set of dishes.:laughing:

“Load handler” was the original ones in the infomercials. I was just talking about these things the other day

Story time:homer:

When I was young and dumb I needed to haul a few yards of gravel for a driveway. I had seen these devices and they were pretty new and expensive at the time. I figured I could do it one better on my own. I threw down an old tarp into the bed of my truck and wrapped one end around a piece of pipe, then I attached ropes to that and went for my first load.

I get home back up to where I want the gravel dumped and tie off the ropes to a tree, I figure I'll pull ahead and viola the tarp will pull the gravel out.

I put the truck in gear, stab the gas and swoosh...

Tarp on the ground and gravel still in the box.

My buddy told me it looked just like when a guy would whip out a table cloth from under a full set of dishes.:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

“Load handler” was the original ones in the infomercials. I was just talking about these things the other day

Yawp. Load Handler.

Works ok. No real complaints. There were two versions. A regular and a heavy duty. Get the HD one if there is one. I've had enough material in there I had to use a leverage pipe to crank it out. Worked fine. It will scuff up your tailgate where it comes into contact. If you're doing a small garden or something, its great. I'm at the point now I just call in a dump truck and have them drop 16yds of whatever it is I need.

had one of those, if you do lots of gravel and wood chips, worth their weight in gold. i always put a tarp over it, would leave the bed cleaner.
dump trailer rentals around here go for 104 plus tax.
better use of $ imho
the original load handler is like 120.$

Last edited:
I have one, works well with small sized material. Stuff like firewood gets caught in the bed.

Trying to avoid renting a dump trailer since I'm doing this mostly late at night after work since its 30 degrees hotter upstairs than outside during the day. Load truck at night, get a dump run in first thing in the morning before work.

Seems one of these may work and if they don't, will eventually be useful for gravel. Plus i've wasted $50 on alot worse things...

Being dumb asshole 16 year olds, a friend and I had to get rid of a truck load of dirt and decided backing up really fast and slamming the brakes on the steepest hill we could find was the fastest way.
All the dirt came out.... with his bed liner. I dont think the pile even changed shapes, haha. His gf felt bad for him and went and shoveled it all out and brought his bed liner back to him at school.

Top Back Refresh