What's new

Troubleshooting: Borrowed a bender; air/hydraulic pump doesn't work.

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
I borrowed a JD2 Model 3 from someone who bought it several years ago and didn't use it except a couple of times with someone else's help. Started messing with it, hooked the pump up to air but it doesn't seem to build pressure.

Does it need to be rebuilt (new gaskets etc), do I need to add oil to it or something? Its a Power Team PA6M. There's a "knob" looking thing on the top on one of the corners that has hydraulic fluid seeping around it a little bit.

Is rebuilding it something I should take to a pro to do, or is it like rebuilding a carburetor?

Video shows me trying to get rid of any air-lock:

Sounds like air piston is stuck. It should be cycling when you push that valve down. Dump some air tool oil into the air side and try again.
Added some air tool oil into the air side as suggested and got the same result. (Doesn't sound like it's cycling.)

I noticed there's fluid coming out of the fill cap:
IMG_2855-1.jpg

Anyway, since this isn't my pump, and I plan on buying my own bender later I'm thinking it might make more sense to just buy my own air/hydraulic pump to use with this for now if I can't get this one fixed.

This is the ram it's powering:
IMG_2856.jpg

And these are the specs of the current pump:
IMG_2852.jpg

Is it as simple as finding a pump that puts out 10,000 PSI? And I assume I need to match the capacity of this pump if I want to get the full extension out of the ram. It looks like the capacity of this pump is 1/2 a gallon. Replacing this pump is anywhere from $500+.

There seems to be a ton of $1-200 1/2 gallon options on Amazon like this: https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-2510A-Powered-Hydraulic-Quick/dp/B07MV5JLBY/?th=1 Anything to consider before purchasing one of these?

Thanks

Last edited:
Added some air tool oil into the air side as suggested and got the same result. (Doesn't sound like it's cycling.)

I noticed there's fluid coming out of the fill cap:
IMG_2855-1.jpg

Anyway, since this isn't my pump, and I plan on buying my own bender later I'm thinking it might make more sense to just buy my own air/hydraulic pump to use with this for now if I can't get this one fixed.

This is the ram it's powering:
IMG_2856.jpg

And these are the specs of the current pump:
IMG_2852.jpg

Is it as simple as finding a pump that puts out 10,000 PSI? And I assume I need to match the capacity of this pump if I want to get the full extension out of the ram. I can't find a capacity for the reservoir anywhere on the thing or online, but it measures 9.5x4.5x4.5 which is roughly 0.827 gallons probably less given the thickness of the walls and fill-level).

There seems to be a ton of $1-200 1/2 gallon options on Amazon but have yet to find a 1 gallon. Any recommendations?

Thanks
yeah any 10k pump will work. I use the electric ones to adjust my crushers. Those guys are big bucks.

If you are going to bend a lot of tube, the air over hydraulic pumps are slow.
The JD2 benders don't want more than 4500psi, IIRC.
I just bought a pump for mine from JD2, and it works awesome. It was about $1k or so.

The Power Team air/hydro pump that came with my Pro Tools bender took a shit from sitting around. I pulled it apart and tried to get it going again but had no luck. I ended up buying one off Amazon for about $250 if I remember correctly.

I have an Amazon special coming tomorrow. The rebuild/reseal kits for the Power Team pump is $100-200 from what I've seen.

Both of the air/hydraulic benders I've used didn't work after sitting more than a few days. I'd start the day by disassembling, lubing, and reassembling, and they'd work all day.

If you are going to bend a lot of tube, the air over hydraulic pumps are slow.
The JD2 benders don't want more than 4500psi, IIRC.
I just bought a pump for mine from JD2, and it works awesome. It was about $1k or so.

The electric pump is worth the money!
Bent tube for the first time ever and holy fuck you guys weren’t kidding. My little 30 gallon air compressor put in some work to do this:

99AE8CC1-7F52-4C0D-8C84-2AD8C450E665.jpeg

Made a lot of mistakes and took notes but still had a good time learning. Should be able to salvage this tube I bent to make an overkill barbel jack for my gym.

Top Back Refresh