What's new

Tricks to having warranty work done?

61scout80

Anchored. Finally.
Member Number
Loc
Crestwood, KY
I have had miserable luck with getting repairs under warranty. Typically if it's a visual problem they send out the blind guy, if it's a sound they send out the deaf guy. Then I get pissed and go fix the shit myself.

My 2019 Ram 2500 w/ the 6.7 Cummins has a clunk in the drive line. Googling it finds tons of results of people complaining, some get a dealer to fix it but are vague on the repair done. most never follow up with the solution.

Sounds like it's a preload problem to me, there's slack in the driveline and a whirr sound when off the throttle. The joints seem tight and I'm almost certain it's inside the diff.

I've got two different answers from the dealer. The first was "never heard of that problem" which I don't believe. The second was a woman that has a 2018 and she said "they all do that". Well, that's not exactly ok by me either.

The truck is in now for some recall work, I completely expect to hear from them that this isn't a problem they are willing to repair. Is there a "next step" to trying to get this sorted out on their dime?

break it somehow, so they must do something about it?

Yep.

I worked parts/service years ago for a CDJ stealership. The techs arent going to waste time trying to diagnose a "whirling sound".

My only suggestion is that we replaced a lot of front drivelines for vibes. But I believe the new rams all went back to CAD.

Ram customer service is less than useful, and if you escalate anything with the dealer, they will know about it. Good luck on getting any real help from customer service.

I had a 2018 that had transmission and rear differential issues. There was a severe grinding noise, so they couldn’t deny that they didn’t hear the original problem. However, after repairing the rear differential, the truck had a lot of driveline noise that they claimed was normal, or they didn’t hear.

Biggest joke was they had a “service tech.” ride with me who said he heard the noise. We get back to the dealership, and the manager said the guy shouldn’t have been riding with me, and that there was no noise. He claimed the guy wasn’t a service tech. Needless to say, I was pissed.

my experiences led me to buy older shit where i am the warranty, i would rather spend my time fixing shit, than taking off work over and over to waste the time at a dealer accomplishing nothing.

Last edited:
Dropped it off Tuesday night for a first thing Wednesday appointment and a pick up of "lunch time" Wednesday. Nothing. Called this morning, they promised "lunch time" again, so I stopped by at 1:30. Not in the shop yet. She said about an hour and a half. It's getting two reflashes and a valve body. No way in hell I'll have my truck back in time to do the shit I needed to this weekend. :rolleyes:

my experiences led me to buy older shit where i am the warranty, i would rather spend my time fixing shit, than taking off work over and over to waste the time at a dealer accomplishing nothing.

I drove my $600 Chevy for 7 years before buying this. It was time to have a daily driver that took less of my time than my proprojects :flipoff2::lmao:

I drove my $600 Chevy for 7 years before buying this. It was time to have a daily driver that took less of my time than my proprojects :flipoff2::lmao:

You went from one extreme to another.

Clearly, it's not quite working out for you :flipoff2:.

FCA rubbed me the wrong way and I just cant get behind their products. Subaru, mazda, volvo, GM, hell even Ford aren't that big of cocksuckers.

X2

I have a buddy who SWEARS going to the dealer to have them do oil changes and repairs saves so much time... I beg to differ...

FCA rubbed me the wrong way and I just cant get behind their products. Subaru, mazda, volvo, GM, hell even Ford aren't that big of cocksuckers.

Had a Dodge product from the FCA era. I took it in for an appointment to fix a misaligned fuel door, a nagging buzz out of a speaker, and a stereo that would reboot at random. There was also delamination around the dash bezel. This was in late Jan or early Feb of 2016. The car was 15 months old and had about 7500 miles on it.

I was updated that there would be parts to order and it would be done in 3 days. I cam on the fourth day, they pulled it from the back and I immediately went to the fuel door. *click* *scraaaaaape* Nope, didn't touch it. I asked for the service manager, explained that they said it was replaced, but there were no new parts and the door was still dragging on the body as it opened. He apologized, and said it would be done in a few days, they will call when it was finished.

In mid-APRIL, I got tired of waiting, and went over to pick up my car. They were surprised, rummaged around a bit, then pulled my nasty-ass car that had just sat, untouched, for over 6 weeks in the back of their gravel storage lot. They said they called when it was done... so I went and hit the fuel door again. *click* *scraaaaape* They still hadn't even touched the car.

I demanded the GM. Would not budge an inch. Made a bit of a scene until they rousted him up so I could show him what was NOT fixed in over 2 1/2 months of waiting. I also demanded a damned car wash, since they got a clean and polished vehicle when I dropped it off and it wasn't my fault their service department left it in a gravel storage lot without touching it for over 2 months. It was promised by COB the next day. The part was overnighted in, and the car fixed the next afternoon (needed a new filler neck, as the door mount was boogered from the factory, causing it to scrape along the inner edge as opening). Perhaps the fact that I opened a case with FCA corporate before heading back to the dealer that day had something to do with it?

That wasn't the first bad experience I had with FCA, and it wasn't the last, but it was the last FCA vehicle I owned, and possibly the last I will ever own.

X2

I have a buddy who SWEARS going to the dealer to have them do oil changes and repairs saves so much time... I beg to differ...

unless you are retired, work part time or your a stay at home mom, i dont see how folks can find the time to deal with that shit, and/or deal with being without a vehicle your paying to use a transportation. Fuck new vehicles and dealers, Ive bought alot more new over the last 18 years that id like to admit, but im not doing it any more

You went from one extreme to another.

Clearly, it's not quite working out for you :flipoff2:.

Well, I kept that Chevy. I'm optimistic at least one of 'em will run when I need it to! :lmao:

IMG_20200508_200040-01.jpeg

I take it a step further and only buy the most ragged out shit I can find on Craigslist. That way I know the drivetrain has been flogged on and if it's still working after all the abuse that its been through then it was built to fuckin' last! :laughing:

FCA must pull the same shit nationwide, I had a 2017 that would just rev in place for a minute after sitting with 30K on the clock. Two dealer 100 miles apart (one of which sold me the truck) told me on multiple occasions that as long as it moves under it's own power it's not broke. I was pissed off enough the last time that I ended up going directly to the Ford house and trading it in.

FCA must pull the same shit nationwide, I had a 2017 that would just rev in place for a minute after sitting with 30K on the clock. Two dealer 100 miles apart (one of which sold me the truck) told me on multiple occasions that as long as it moves under it's own power it's not broke. I was pissed off enough the last time that I ended up going directly to the Ford house and trading it in.

I went to pick up my truck, that I'm trying extremely hard to keep nice, and there were greasy hand prints all the way down the side of the truck and it looked like some sort of equipment was set on the roof, then slid off. They told me the rear diff clunk and steering clunk were normal.

It was right then that I found the trick. Scream at absolutly everyone like you're a tyranical toddler. Read the tech's name from the report and yell across the shop that he's either deaf or an incompetent asshole. Yell to someone looking at a new truck that they should avoid it because they are full of problems that service says is "normal" and you'll happily let him take yours for a ride to show him. I made a scene and gathered a crowd. I hate when people do that, but occasionally a calculated hissy fit gets you what you need. Suddenly the service manager was REALLY interested in fixing my truck! :lmao:

They decided the hub was making the noise. I knew they were wrong, but they are mechanical gods and alll, so I can't possibly know WTF is happening. After they changed the hub they took it for a ride and realized it wasn't fixed, now they are throwing parts at it, and everything is on back order.

As a bonus the service manager now comes out to greet me in a hurry as soon as I pull in! :laughing:

I've found the only way to get satisfactory results is to karen yourself right up to the GM.

once you start bothering someone that doesn't usually deal with customers directly suddenly the service department is super helpful.
took my junk in for a recall, tech didn't install the drive belt right, ate one side of the belt on the alternator pulley. I just wanted a new belt. I even told them they could just mail it to me since they're 50 miles from me. Left a message for the SA three straight days in a row. Got nothing.
Called and talked to the GM.
A porter with a loaner car drove to my house that afternoon and took my junk for a new belt.

sadly it seems that being a reasonable human being gets you ignored at a car dealer.

I went to pick up my truck, that I'm trying extremely hard to keep nice, and there were greasy hand prints all the way down the side of the truck and it looked like some sort of equipment was set on the roof, then slid off. They told me the rear diff clunk and steering clunk were normal.

It was right then that I found the trick. Scream at absolutly everyone like you're a tyranical toddler. Read the tech's name from the report and yell across the shop that he's either deaf or an incompetent asshole. Yell to someone looking at a new truck that they should avoid it because they are full of problems that service says is "normal" and you'll happily let him take yours for a ride to show him. I made a scene and gathered a crowd. I hate when people do that, but occasionally a calculated hissy fit gets you what you need. Suddenly the service manager was REALLY interested in fixing my truck! :lmao:

They decided the hub was making the noise. I knew they were wrong, but they are mechanical gods and alll, so I can't possibly know WTF is happening. After they changed the hub they took it for a ride and realized it wasn't fixed, now they are throwing parts at it, and everything is on back order.

As a bonus the service manager now comes out to greet me in a hurry as soon as I pull in! :laughing:

Went back and red your original post. It sounds pretty damn similar to what I was dealing with in the 2018 I had. That was a 2500 with the 6.4L and a 6 speed transmission. I didn’t have any noise until the lsd ate itself. After they rebuilt the rear differential, and “fixed” a transmission issue, it had a similar sound to what you’re describing. The dealership I was at also said it was normal which was/is bull shit.

I am a Parts Manager at a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram dealer. YES, calling Customer Service does work. You may not get the answer you want, and you may have to stick with it and call repeatedly over time o get what you want, but it does work. Customer Service can do things that we cannot and can get parts, and approval for service that we can't do on our own. Now you probably won't get something done outside of warranty, nor will you get something covered by warranty that it specifically does not cover, regardless of your interpretation.

Also consider that we, as a dealer, deal with people who are irate and wanting the impossible to solve their problem. We get people who think brake pads on their 40k mile Jeep should be covered under warranty because Auto Zone offers lifetime pads. We get people who refuse to pay for synthetic oil even though it is the recommended oil for their engine. We get people who want their old, 6k mile oil put back in when getting an oil pan gasket done under warranty because "it's not time to change the oil yet". Many years ago a dealer I worked for towed in a 3 year old Plymouth Duster (Dodge Shadow body) with 40k miles and the engine locked up. It had never had the oil changed but they argued they changed it "all the time". Luckily Mopar uses a unique oil filter from the factory and this car still had the factory filter on it. The oil had never been changed in 40k miles. Now that doesn't mean there aren't crooked dealers, I know of several that even I can't deal with. It doesn't mean that techs and managers can't be wrong, we are all human and we make mistakes. Also, we have procedures we have to go through in order to get things done through FCA, like all manufacturers, and it doesn't matter what plans you had for the weekend or when you absolutely "need" your vehicle back, if you want it fixed it may take time for parts to come in and the work to get done.

But yes, definitely call Customer Service and have them open a case for you. Call them back in a few days if your issue isn't resolved. Stay on them until the work gets done. It won't work miracles, but you can get warranty work done if it's legit, though it may still take time.

Man this thread really makes me want to go buy a Ram :rolleyes::flipoff2:​​​​​​

Seriously why does anyone buy pos FCA vehicles, all I ever hear is stupid quality issues. I mean I kinda get the "for ma Cummins" since they're the only modern diesel that looks like you might be able to work on. But the guys buying gas rams or even worse, their cars. I don't get it.

Even if you argue that all modern vehicles have issues, which is fair, I've never heard anyone who was happy with FCA warranty services.

I say this as the all mighty unbreakable honda that I bought is sitting in the shop for the 2nd time, same issue, in under 500 miles. :rolleyes:

Seriously why does anyone buy pos FCA vehicles, all I ever hear is stupid quality issues. I mean I kinda get the "for ma Cummins" since they're the only modern diesel that looks like you might be able to work on. But the guys buying gas rams or even worse, their cars. I don't get it.

Even if you argue that all modern vehicles have issues, which is fair, I've never heard anyone who was happy with FCA warranty services.

I say this as the all mighty unbreakable honda that I bought is sitting in the shop for the 2nd time, same issue, in under 500 miles. :rolleyes:

6 one way, half dozen the other.

Price influences a lot of folks, ram is typically cheaper. I wouldnt buy/trust an FCA product, an exit plan would be in order.

Like a 250k Toyota ready to go when the shitbox ram goes in for warranty

The Auto Group my dealership is owned by has dealerships for all of the Big Three. The word currently is Ford is the one with the most problems. We sometimes get work sent to us from those dealerships because they are booked up with work and we don't have a full schedule. Currently GM seems to be doing better, but they are just now getting the parts system back where it was before the strike.

For the record, I own a 2018 Ram 2500 5.7L and it's fine other than the weird shifting of the 6 speed, which I was aware of before I bought it. It does everything I want it to do and I have no problems with it other than it only gets 2 MPG more than my Ramcharger, but I also knew that going in. The biggest worry I have is trying to keep it clean.

The Auto Group my dealership is owned by has dealerships for all of the Big Three. The word currently is Ford is the one with the most problems. We sometimes get work sent to us from those dealerships because they are booked up with work and we don't have a full schedule. Currently GM seems to be doing better, but they are just now getting the parts system back where it was before the strike.

For the record, I own a 2018 Ram 2500 5.7L and it's fine other than the weird shifting of the 6 speed, which I was aware of before I bought it. It does everything I want it to do and I have no problems with it other than it only gets 2 MPG more than my Ramcharger, but I also knew that going in. The biggest worry I have is trying to keep it clean.

Is that because there is 20 Ford truck on the road for every 1 dodge or Chevy? Or because 9/10 companies use Ford for fleet vehicles and have a bunch of people driving them who don't give a fuck?

The internet is the only place where Ford's are the least reliable, even the ultra hated 6.0 doesn't seem that bad now that tons of the same era Cummins and duramax trucks are having all kinds of issues.

Every company I worked for except 1 has ran all ford's, and obviously I can't say that I know the history of each truck in 1000 truck fleet, but you'd think if the ford's were so bad that at least once, when 6-20 of us pull up in our company truck, that someone would have been in a different truck because their truck was in the shop?

I'm not saying they are perfect, all the new vehicles are over complicated pieces of shit. I just don't buy all the hype.

The internet is the only place where Ford's are the least reliable, even the ultra hated 6.0 doesn't seem that bad now that tons of the same era Cummins and duramax trucks are having all kinds of issues.

Nope, the 6.0 will always be a piece of shit. The only reason they dont "look bad" is because they're $5k+ less than a comparable GM or Dodge of the same spec. The 6.4L is a fucking joke.

Fleet sales has a lot to do with the buyer and budget. Not necessarily what is the best.

I won't lie.... I really like the ram... but I really really like the F250... After looking under the hood of both... The ram looks much more appealing.

Nope, the 6.0 will always be a piece of shit. The only reason they dont "look bad" is because they're $5k+ less than a comparable GM or Dodge of the same spec. The 6.4L is a fucking joke.

Fleet sales has a lot to do with the buyer and budget. Not necessarily what is the best.

I didn't day they weren't, but seems like a lot of the 03-07 Cummins and duramax's are proving to be almost as unreliable.

Fleet sales? Aren't the dodges still the cheapest?

I didn't day they weren't, but seems like a lot of the 03-07 Cummins and duramax's are proving to be almost as unreliable.

Fleet sales? Aren't the dodges still the cheapest?

If you really want to think a CR 5.9L, or LLY/LBZ, want to commit suicide like the VT365... power to you. You're talking 15 y/o vehicles now too that are mostly on their 2nd/3rd+ ignorant flatbill owner.

Depends on how their spec'd and nearby dealers. Theres too many variances.

If you really want to think a CR 5.9L, or LLY/LBZ, want to commit suicide like the VT365... power to you. You're talking 15 y/o vehicles now too that are mostly on their 2nd/3rd+ ignorant flatbill owner.

Depends on how their spec'd and nearby dealers. Theres too many variances.

Almost every person I know with a CR Cummins has had major issues. Mostly injector related, which can cause many other major issues. Guys who bought them new seem to have good luck though. Don't even get me started on the transmission. The engine isn't the only part of a truck btw:flipoff2:

Elaborate on the roof damage... that’d be the area I’d likely be most vocal about. Why would anything be on the roof in the first place?

Top Back Refresh