What's new

Tri Tip

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Did a tri tip Friday night. I have had it before but never cooked one myself.

I ended up getting a pre-marinaded one from Sam's. I wanted a un-seasoned one but they didn't have any whole tri tips that were already broken down. I would have had to buy the entire cryo pack at $120 and didn't want to spend that much. I honestly didn't want to risk that much $$ and have me butcher (pun intended) it trying to break it down myself.

Back to the story. I fired up the grill, left the meat on the counter to come up to room temp while grill was getting ready. I cooked it to 140* (medium) on the grill at 325*. I would have preferred med rare but wife won't eat it med rare. Turned out pretty good but I think next time I will do my own seasoning. The marinade was "steakhouse" and while it was good I would have liked just a Montreal Steak seasoning as a rub instead.

i did a radiant grill method for cooking some tomahawk rib eyes, super thick like tritip, basicly took about an hour, never did the room temp thing, i will try that next.

Its a big hunk of meat, try a reverse sear method on it. Cook it at 250 with the Montreal on it until it gets up to 125 internal for medium, pull it off and it will come up to 135 while resting. Wipe off the Montreal as it will burn. Set the grill to hell fire and sear the outside with olive oil and salt. Add pepper or a little Montreal when it comes off and rests again.

i cook it on the bbq with the temp around 300 or in the oven at 325. not a fan of the flavor when its smoked.

letting meat come to room temp makes a bigger difference than i anticipated, the way things cook it noticeable.

• rub it down with olive/avocado oil, then cover it with onion powder, garlic powder, salt.
  • cover it with stubbs bbq rub
1659373682225.png

I trim off all the fat. Rub both sides with Lowry’s garlic pepper, and Kinder’s Buttery Steakhouse seasoning.

Preheat grill to 375-400deg (propane, indirect). Get a beverage while prepping sides.

Place meat on grill (indirect heat), close lid. Refresh beverage if needed.

After about 10-12 minutes (depending on wind/grill temp) flip meat, close lid. Get sides mostly done.

After another 10-12 minutes give the meat a poke (or stick a thermometer in it), if ready pull it and let rest.

Finish sides, carve meat across the grain at an angle (angle doesn’t make a huge difference.)

Enjoy :smokin:

What I mean by “give the meat a poke”:
D7E79A94-612F-4E70-BCA9-7940509B621A.jpeg

Last edited:
I cook over oak with just salt and pepper. Big hit with the family.

I went to the local butcher shop after work last night and got another tri tip and some brats, some Cajun and some cheddar. Cooked the Cajun brats last night over charcoal, two for dinner last night and brat the other two for lunch today (see what I did there):flipoff2:

Tri tip was a bit smaller than the Sam's Club one I got a couple weeks ago but it is unseasoned so I can doctor it up how I choose. Gonna cook it up tomorrow when the wife gets home from her trip.

I like a good dry rub on my tri tip. Smoke it at 250 for about an hour - hour fifteen and pull it at 135*. You HAVE to foil it and let it rest for at least 10 minutes, if you cut it right away all the juice runs out and it dries out pretty quick. I also like to sear it for a minute after the smoke, gives a good char and helps lock the juices in

A good dry rub for tri tip is a 'cowboy rub', with coffee grinds in it. My fav is from a local butcher shop chain 'Kinders' (they carry their stuff at costco now too) they have 'Cali's blackened rub' pretty dang good

so I put Montreal steak seasoning on it today. sprinkled on both sides. little heavier on the top side. let it sit on a wire rack for 90 mins or so coming up to room temp. jammed a meat probe in it. Got the grill up to 325-350 and cooked it to 135*. was a nice medium rare. pulled it, let it rest 20 mins and cut it. blood run a bit but damn it was good. nice and tender. since it was raw with only a rub on it there wasn't an over powering marinade to cover the natural meat taste. :smokin:

Glad it's working out fer you brother. I use Susie Q blue because it's from the home of Santa Maria style bbq that made the tritip cut popular.
Edit. I use it to season dang near anything. Wife likes Montreal chicken on chicken but everything else gets Susie Q.

Susie qs is great on tri tip. Theres a guy in pismo or santa Maria that sells some good stuff too. Gomers bbq, can buy online. A full Tri tip will have 2 grain directions and should be split in two then cut each piece against the grain.

I prefer the reverse sear. I pull the meat from the fridge an hour or two before I start. I do the first part at 200-215 until 125 then pull and get the grill up to 700+ and sear each side for a minute. A good rest Is important.

Attachments

• 20220807_172053.jpg
    20220807_172053.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 12
Susie qs is great on tri tip. Theres a guy in pismo or santa Maria that sells some good stuff too. Gomers bbq, can buy online. A full Tri tip will have 2 grain directions and should be split in two then cut each piece against the grain.

I prefer the reverse sear. I pull the meat from the fridge an hour or two before I start. I do the first part at 200-215 until 125 then pull and get the grill up to 700+ and sear each side for a minute. A good rest Is important.
good to know on the reverse sear and cutting method. :beer:

I salt, pepper and garlic powder the tritip... Bring the Kamado up to 700+..., Toss on the meat, close the lid..1-1/2-2 min, open and rotate 90 degrees, close, 1-1/2-2 min,... Open and flip, close... 1-1/2-2 min... Open and rotate 90 degrees... Close top and bottom vents... Cook until preferred doneness )usually 15-20 min).. Be careful when opening to check for doneness,...You can get a flashback as oxygen reaches the hot coals .. I crack both vents a little before opening, and close them after checking...
Butch

I've noticed with tri-tip, cooking it down at 250°F for ~30min a lb to 135-140°, makes a huge difference on the tenderness of the meat.

Straight 350-375, it has a decisively more chewy texture. It makes a big difference when you're turning it in sandwiches, which are amazing on ciabatta btw.

I don't have a smoker, but I cheat and will soak chips before hand and put a tin pan of them on top of the back burner flavor bars of my gas grill to generate a light smoke. The indirect heat from that one burner on high in the back and the meat up front works as an easy in between. Still not the flavor from charcoal, but a lot less work for a weekday night.

A friend turned me onto Head Country rub years back and it's a solid part of my usual tri-tip rub.

The cryo packs at Sam's and Costco are already broken down. There's just several tri-tips in the pack. I think there was 6 or 7 in the last one I got.

Most places trim the fat cap off of the tri-tips, but you really want it on there. Tri-tips don't need marinated. A simple kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and garlic powder is all that is needed. Go heavier on the salt than you'd think. I start the coals on one side of my Weber. Once it is hot, I sear the fat side down directly over the hot coals. When it is seared, I move it to the cooler side of the grill, fat side up and finish cooking to about 125-130 IT. Then toss it back over the hot side to finish getting crust if it needs it. Remove it and let it rest for 15 minutes foiled. Tri-tip has a lot of myoglobin so even after a good rest, it is still going to spill "blood". Look at the internet for the recommended way to carve it.

I've noticed with tri-tip, cooking it down at 250°F for ~30min a lb to 135-140°, makes a huge difference on the tenderness of the meat.

Straight 350-375, it has a decisively more chewy texture. It makes a big difference when you're turning it in sandwiches, which are amazing on ciabatta btw.

I don't have a smoker, but I cheat and will soak chips before hand and put a tin pan of them on top of the back burner flavor bars of my gas grill to generate a light smoke. The indirect heat from that one burner on high in the back and the meat up front works as an easy in between. Still not the flavor from charcoal, but a lot less work for a weekday night.

A friend turned me onto Head Country rub years back and it's a solid part of my usual tri-tip rub.

Low and slow is how I try to do all things grilling. Didn't click on link.

The cryo packs at Sam's and Costco are already broken down. There's just several tri-tips in the pack. I think there was 6 or 7 in the last one I got.

Most places trim the fat cap off of the tri-tips, but you really want it on there. Tri-tips don't need marinated. A simple kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and garlic powder is all that is needed. Go heavier on the salt than you'd think. I start the coals on one side of my Weber. Once it is hot, I sear the fat side down directly over the hot coals. When it is seared, I move it to the cooler side of the grill, fat side up and finish cooking to about 125-130 IT. Then toss it back over the hot side to finish getting crust if it needs it. Remove it and let it rest for 15 minutes foiled. Tri-tip has a lot of myoglobin so even after a good rest, it is still going to spill "blood". Look at the internet for the recommended way to carve it.
Good to know on the cryo packs.

The tri tip I got from the local butcher shop was $$ but damn it was freaking good. nice and tender. Some of that was I only cooked it to med rare. The first one I got from Sam's was marinated and the marinade was a bit over powering of the meat flavor. It had a tangy flavor to it. I'll only buy regular raw from now on and flavor myself with dry rub of choice.

I need to find a used Weber kettle to do them on. Last two I did on my OK Joe Bronco smoker and just used charcoal and run it hotter so it was more like a grill.

Top Back Refresh