What's new

Traxxas slash 4x4

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
For my kids bday I bought a new Traxxas slash 4x4 (1/10th scale). I bought the base model with a brushed motor, I think it is rated at +/- 30mph stock which is plenty fast for us. We have a dirt field and some hills behind the house to go blast around on.

These things do require periodic wrenching to keep them going. Its mostly cleaning debris from the joints and bearings, apply a shot of lube here and there, and check all the nuts in the right places.

I have run it through about 3 battery charges and 1 good crash so I wanted to dig into it a bit to check things out. The first thing I wanted to be sure of is the grub screw holding the gear onto the motor. It was tight when I checked it, but decided to pull it to add a dab of locktite. The gears were dry when I pulled the motor. I like to add a tiny bit of white lithium grease to quiet the gears down and keep things happy. You dont want to overdo it and get anything onto the slipper clutch, but if white grease finds its way there it should not do any damage.
20210525_114341.jpg

The next thing I noticed is there is a bunch of debris getting into the driveshaft tunnel through the opening on the bottom of the chassis. That driveshaft tunnel goes all the way back to the slipper clutch so you want to keep stuff out of there. I got a small piece of foam to go fill in the gap between the shaft and chassis to seal it off a bit. It takes some tweaking and trimming, you want it tight enough to stay put but not too tight that it binds the driveshaft.
20210525_124135.jpg

You can see scratches on the shaft where a small rock found its way in there. It made a pretty bad grinding sound
20210525_124149.jpg

When going over bumps, the body shell of the truck rattles around and makes quite a bit of noise. There is some clearance between the mount post and the body that I wanted to tighten up and see if it quiets things down.
20210525_125922.jpg

At my work we end up replacing a lot of body trim parts and install new plastic mount rivets that have these nifty foam spacers. I gave them a shot of adhesive and stuck them on.
20210525_125936.jpg

Sounds like an engineer found a way to let it self destruct and blame the owner.
Pic of kids having fun?

Still in one piece. Kid smashed it into a drainage pipe at full tilt. It tweaked the LF shock at the lower mount, but it is past the end of the stroke so its still smooth and does not bind. After some parts really start to break I may replace with aluminum bits, but honestly the plastic parts seem to just bounce off of everything and snap back into place
20210525_223323.jpg

Also got this "RC Pro" desert rush 4wd buggy. It was $130 out the door at a local hobby shop, I think it is probably the cheapest hobby grade rc you can get. I think the company is out of Canada but everything made by the same country that made the 'rona virus. 1/16 scale, brushed motor, LiPo battery, oil filled shocks, 4x4, lights, this thing rips!
20210525_223403.jpg

Its getting a bit worn already but it has seen a lot of bashing. Then the neighbor kid ran over it with the power wheels jeep and it snapped one of the body mounts off the bulkhead. All parts are replaceable for pretty cheap, just plastic replacements no upgrades. Not a bad entry level buggy just to mess around with
20210525_225239.jpg

You can buy RPM parts to replace just about any plastic part that should break on the Traxxas. I would recommend RPM over the aluminum replacement parts..but the Traxxas is pretty tough as it sits so you may not end up breaking much!

Front a arms (rpm for sure)and castors will be the first to go then shock caps, grab those when you drop 2s in there. Way smoother and it keeps full pep much longer

The problem with aluminum stuff is that you can't really onesey-twosey the suspension especially. You kinda either have to leave em all plastic or go all aluminum. Put on aluminum spindles you break plastic caster blocks. Upgrade those now you're breaking arms. Upgrade those now you're killing bulkheads etc... The RPM stuff is tougher than stock while keeping the weight down. I had a Stampede that was almost all aluminum years ago, it didn't break but it also didn't handle and needed a $$$ (For the day, back when brushless was not commonplace) motor setup to be fast.

Top Back Refresh