What's new

TrashE

I had to run into town to grab some suspension hardware with the right shank before I could continue assembling the rear.
IMG_7431.jpeg

Sitting with no washer under the head.
IMG_7434.jpeg

Then with a washer under the head.
IMG_7433.jpeg

Im using fine thread grade 8 bolts and grade 8 washers with stover nuts for the suspension.

Going to start on the rear axle next. I got the housing cleaned up the other night.
IMG_7397.jpeg

Also picked up some gear marking compound while I was in town so I can install the gears and locker when I get a chance.
IMG_7432.jpeg

Not much work on this project lately as I’ve been trying to make the shop a better place. Since I decided to put my ‘19 ram 3500 for sale soon I realized I’m going to need another work horse to replace it. So here we go.

…………………………………………………….

3/32 smaw rods.
IMG_8485.jpeg

Hammer the flux off.
IMG_8488.jpeg

Clean further with scotch brite, I also wipe the rods with acetone anytime I’m tig welding something. Did this to about 12 rods to make sure I had enough and wasn’t scrambling to prep more while I was welding.
IMG_8489.jpeg

Rear axle just hanging around waiting for the procedure to be over with.
IMG_8507.jpeg

I mig welded the front 14 bolt but I didn’t really like doing that, it just didn’t feel right. Welding the chunk/tubes this way only added 1-2 hours which is not a big deal since it’s just me having fun in the garage anyway.

2 passes/side sealed the deal.
IMG_8512.jpeg

Burned through almost 8 rods total.
IMG_8510.jpeg

After post heat and peening a final time I wrapped the chunk in two 6’x10’ welding blankets and went to bed.
IMG_8517.jpeg

I had the steps I used written out but deleted them to keep the post simple. Pre-heat, post heat, peen (often), and slow cooling seemed to do the trick.

Did you peen those welds with a Q-tip or did you just take the pics before you peened them because "muh stacked instahoe dimes".

:shaking::shaking::shaking:

No dummy, you hit the toe of the weld with a hammer to relieve stress. There are a bunch of ways to peen a weld and most of them will make good welds look like shit. I would think an internet cwi like you would understand that but I guess you’re just here to talk shit.

There are a bunch of ways to peen a weld and most of them will make good welds look like shit.
:shaking:

That's why I asked for clarification.

All you had to do was say "those pics were before peening"

If I wanted to give you shit I'd be asking you questions you don't have a good answer to.

:shaking:

That's why I asked for clarification.

All you had to do was say "those pics were before peening"

If I wanted to give you shit I'd be asking you questions you don't have a good answer to.

Oh you just wanted clarification? Perhaps you should phrase your comment like a civilized human.

To clarify:

No I didn’t peen with a q-tip.

No it wasn’t for "muh stacked instahoe dimes" as I don’t have instagram.

For a welding procedure like this pictures are the last thing on my mind.

For further clarification I didn’t show these welds to my welding buddies because they would laugh. I posted them in my build thread because they’re relevant & I already MIG welded the front axle casting for comparison.

All I have at the moment is some dumb stuff I wasn’t going to talk about.

Stupid cleaning, painting, and final assembly chit I don't like doing so I haven't been doing it:usa:

Rear axle is all set up, welded, painted, and hopefully wont leak. Gears look like gears. etc.
IMG_8720.jpeg
IMG_8719.jpeg

Neoprene under the fuel tank.
IMG_8774.jpeg

Used this marine fuel line for the feed and return.
IMG_8777.jpeg

Tank is in and plumbed/done. Shocks are in, air bags are all set up, stuffs painted and generally just getting shit finished.
IMG_0919.jpeg

Parking brake is done. Mock up driveshaft to check for binding during suspension travel.
IMG_0920.jpeg

Rear brakes are roughed in, just need a couple studs to hold the lines in a couple spots on the axle and then come back and tighten everything.
IMG_0918.jpeg

Just got the front axle pulled last night and on the bench, went ahead and finished bending and routing the brake lines. Hard lines are all NiCop, I'll tear into this next. Figured I should start working on it again if people are bumping for updates:flipoff2:
IMG_0916.jpeg

No….. somehow I have less done than my last update:laughing:

Just kidding, I got a little more done.

Front gears are in with pipe dope on the revolution 14 bolt spanners, loctite on everything but I’m realizing I should have ordered my shafts as soon as I had the measurements instead of waiting to finish another axle and buy 2 pairs at once to try and save on shipping. Not sure when those will show up.
IMG_1493.jpeg

Another ez gear set up on the super simple 14 bolt. Only difference this time was I set everything up once, then pulled the carrier and installed the axle seals into the spanners, added rector seal 5, and put it back together a final time.

Interior portion is good to go. Built a new seat bracket, corbeau jp buckets for the driver/passenger and a little prp roadster in the middle. Replaced all of the seat belts with some random black ones.
IMG_1167.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

I put sliders under the corbeau seats which should make driving this a possibility for shorter people too.
IMG_1932.jpeg

Both sides are on sliders to give me a little better access to the storage area behind the seats.

Yeah, that’s about it, just bolting stuff together. Not much time to work on it lately but it’s getting there. Everything is welded and mostly painted. I’m going to change the pan gasket next and start putting lube into various holes.
IMG_1930.jpeg

Top Back Refresh