Transmission Recommendations

MochaMike

All Whee Drive!
Member Number
Loc
Concord, CA
My tow rig 48re (4x4) is getting tired.

Specs: 2004.5 HO Cummins, 240k SB

I’ve kept it stock for the 220k miles I’ve owned it. (Trans is known weak link).
I tow 8k, 8-12 times a year to Fordyce, Hammers etc.

After my new trans, I want to add cold air, cat back, maybe a mild chip. Injectors need to be done soon as well & im toying with upgrading them.

I plan on getting a (small) light-weight cab-over in the near future as well.

I’m motivated by mileage vs power (although I’ll enjoy it a bit).
Basically, I want efficiency/reliability over flashy performance.

I’ll do the swap myself (work in shops/have a full shop now).

Basically im looking for a good upgrade over stock without another losing my kids college fund.

Any suggestions?

Pic for attention.

Attachments

• 133B8AC9-B677-4547-9571-5A1401E267B8.jpeg
    133B8AC9-B677-4547-9571-5A1401E267B8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
while I haven't shopped lately for 46-48rh/e's, Goerend, BD, Suncoast, DTT - all good choices depending on who is still in business. One of the issues you may come across is available cores in stock at your rebuild shop of choice - there may not 'be' any cores in stock for a rebuild, so you may have to pull yours, send it out for the rebuild, and then ship back/ install. May be down for a while, but unless you source a builder core and send it off in advance (leaving your current re as a spare/never a bad idea) you may not have much choice.

If you're towing just get a good 'towing' rebuild and of course a very good converter (the converter is 'everything') - you won't need stronger internals - the factory hardware is plenty strong enough, but also consider not upping the HP/TQ levels very much - what these trucks come with is plenty for most everyone on the planet.

I have a G56 in my 07 and I can't up the power much either, but I am perfectly content with my power levels...and I damn sure don't want to pony up the mortgage payments for a new truck.

Personally, if I were to grab a fresh 48re I'd go with BD - I talked with them the most recently and I was impressed with their tech savvy, and they had an above-average GAF (Give a F-ck). I also do not think a 'new' 48re is remotely possible - all rebuilt, which would be fine with me -

And, if I were doing a 48RE from BD I'd have them install one of their slick 'Tap Shifters' - all day long. Check it out - pretty cool '4th gen' upgrade for the older units, and, if you would prefer a slightly different programming you can talk with their tech folks and they'll program your brain box specific to your personal tastes - at least they said they would when I last talked with them a couple yrs ago.

- Sam

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh